Mod request and suggestion: shooter sp related animation idea.

A list of ways to make jk3 more of a general shooter mainly focusing on replaceing animations, with collaboration to release a few useful files into a .glamerged animation folder for people to use with merged animations for current and future modders with sp mods in mind that don't include the sabersystem. I think this would genuinely be useful as a resource

what steps I think I need to happen for this to be available;

1. Permissions mainly and maybe some people with more sway in the jka community to ask for them, since mb2,jk+, md2 , and other sources have created lots of useful animations to do with shooters, like running with a blaster and clone, mandalorian anims etc. present.
  2. The most useful from all studied anims compiled into one .gla,with a glamerge and modview tutorial with it in a folder.(I can offer the time to study these anims then ask for requests based on screens)
  3. this folder uploaded for people to merge their own as a resource in tutorials . basically put, a new animation resource you are free to add animations to from the finest pick of animations ready to quickly be made more specific to your mod ideas for quick concept work etc.

Why I can't do this all myself?

I likely can. But I'm putting it out there to help me with my workload as a suggestion, it would simplify the processes that I play around with in ja probably the most and most effectively at the moment if someone/s could help me with this, I could get things I find harder done sooner & the sooner this idea is made, the more others could surely find uses for it at the moment here on jkhub.

I like mp sure, but the point is there is very little who venture into SP with success and the more resources packed in a more cohesive way in tutorials may be useful to some. another "modkit" ?

that is true yes

Could just learn Softimage and make better animations using that. MB2 doesn't add a whole lot of new anims other than SBD ones (off the top of my head anyway)

JA needs a her- err, animator.

Yes I could and people could, but while people are getting there or for people who only need to tweak anims, dragon is a good step into it.

it doesnt have to be mb2 that was an example of one I'd find useful myself, its meant to be an animation folder that gets updated every now and then with the most useful anims. 

I was hoping someone with more knowledge  and sway in the community would post on this but to help me get permissions not to discourage me, but then again murphy's law for this to happen.

I think It's weird in a way to suggest new animators to leap into softimage and try rigging straight away,because it's presuming a level of confidence in their knowledge without knowing it.

when they need to learn to edit animation .cfg files and .gla merge first.

hell i didn't know you could change animations around in this game with text editors when i started out modding jka years back Softimage at an early stage of modding seems very foreign , a nub with a text editor switching their animations is very different to creating full content in Softimage.

someone who has years of modding in jka wouldnt need what I requested.

but most people at least have a period where they just mess around with jka before serious modding.

What are the negatives of my suggestion,as that seemed a little like a shut down.

I know that your trying to give really good advice to save peoples time that don't know so much by getting them to avoid things like this and get to the good stuff. I really do, this is a stepping stone in that direction.simple stuff for us simple modders -_- .

this is not intended for more advanced animating,I don't think that many new animations need to be made if we combined all the good and useful ones that have been developed already.it would second as a useful folder to get ideas for animating quickly with use with modview. I use modview with a .gla with lot's of anims merged from mods and put them in ingame sp just to mess around.Surely i'm not the only one that would find this at all useful?

I want to stand my ground a little bit here as i think this isnt an idea to be shunted straight away. I do not mean it to anger you.

I don't mind learning to use softimage,

heck i'll need to to do more advanced things to get my mod really started.

I'll firstly say i have trouble in rigging, while learning I still want to be able to play around with and build with animations in an easy way as well as tweaking them,

If i can't get help to get this request.

I'll probably make it anyway and give it to people who specifically ask as long as it isnt used in any mods until i get permissions regardless.

One more thing:  what is a her- err, animator?

I think It's weird in a way to suggest new animators to leap into softimage and try rigging straight away,because it's presuming a level of confidence in their knowledge without knowing it.

when they need to learn to edit animation .cfg files and .gla merge first.

hell i didn't know you could change animations around in this game with text editors when i started out modding jka years back Softimage at an early stage of modding seems very foreign , a nub with a text editor switching their animations is very different to creating full content in Softimage.

I don't mind learning to use softimage,

heck i'll need to to do more advanced things to get my mod really started.

I'll firstly say i have trouble in rigging, while learning I still want to be able to play around with and build with animations in an easy way as well as tweaking them,

One more thing:  what is a her- err, animator?

You don't need to make anything with the rig I built, just animate the controllers and export, as simple as that really. You can also edit animations in a way, the source files are hosted online in the Softimage tutorial page in my sig, you could simply import a base animation you wanted to change an use snapping at key points of the animation and in a sense 'duplicate' it with the rig rather quickly. This is actually what I did with the staff run animation I made for the video since I wanted to cook something up quickly as an example, I imported the base BOTH_RUN_STAFF.XSI file and used snap to centers and keyed it at certain points to recreate the staff animation but only for the torso and waist. The rest of the upper body I key framed myself and exported. You could learn to rig and make something other than the file I submitted but it'd be a huge waste of time since any character model rigged to the biped I made won't get exported, they're just there for reference and aesthetics inside of Softimage so that you aren't just looking at bones.

Learning key frame animation in Softimage is actually quite easy and 1 of the most basic parts of animating, I did all the hard stuff for you already, things that took me years to learn.

Those links come from a channel that I posted a link to in the Softimage tutorial page. I pretty much made it as easy as it ever has been to create JA animations, a full biped rig that has lifelike movements, the bones won't even bend backwards, it's set up that complexly and a video tutorial explaining what each controller does and how to compile a new animation.

Mandalorian likes this

Learning key frame animation in Softimage is actually quite easy and 1 of the most basic parts of animating, I did all the hard stuff for you already, things that took me years to learn.

Those links come from a channel that I posted a link to in the Softimage tutorial page. I pretty much made it as easy as it ever has been to create JA animations, a full biped rig that has lifelike movements, the bones won't even bend backwards, it's set up that complexly and a video tutorial explaining what each controller does and how to compile a new animation.

That is some great effort and work on your part then to make it easier for others! I see more the point EEzstreet's comment now. I will admit I dont have the time to look at what you have done further yet but I'd like to try to utilize this information and get softimage again, I hope lot's of people learn from your efforts and create new animations! Would you also say that what i have in mind is obsolete then.

If you need help all you have to do is ask in the modding assistance forum. I don't care for PM's for help since someone may be having the same issue and that way they could just search the forum and find the answer rather than asking the same thing but for some reason people insist on PMing me about these things.

I have two different rifle animations. One is a less recoil one that is good for repeaters and E-11's. The second has more recoil and is better with conc's and flachettes.

The pistol sets I have are a) military style (my fav), b.) original JK style, and c) The pose from the poster of Han Solo firing.

I like A the most and will use that one.

I'll put these in a folder for you to merge and a pre-merged, ready to go mod. 

You just want the gun animations and no saber stances?

Oh yeah, the reload was rough so it won't be included.

Mandalorian likes this

Kinda need to know how much interest there is for making gun animations, right now I have saber models set as the control objects for the hang_tag_bones so that you animated the saber to see it in real time in turn will animated the proper bones via constraints but it could be changed so that the Kyle model in Softimage is holding a gun rather than a saber.

Mandalorian likes this

Kinda need to know how much interest there is for making gun animations, right now I have saber models set as the control objects for the hang_tag_bones so that you animated the saber to see it in real time in turn will animated the proper bones via constraints but it could be changed so that the Kyle model in Softimage is holding a gun rather than a saber.

+1

• 3 weeks later...

These were some of the first animations I made and it shows :)

Yours are a lot better.

I was using my military training as a base. The chief that showed us told us to keep our shoulders level and chest forward.

He is also holding the gun about chest height so that it looks like the 1st person view.

At the time I didn't know how to fix the 'leg up' animations (actually I didn't know about them at all) so I had to keep his lower body the same as the default stance. I'll go back and check out the different stands again since I don't remember all their details.

A stance like that is badass and could be made to fit with the rifles too, but I'd have to make a similar both_stand1 stance.

A bit of coding probably, never tried it but maybe just change the animation file to have BOTH_ rather than UPPER_ as the prefix?

Don't they already have that prefix? I'll try it.

EDIT: Tried it. Didn't work. This is what I get when I try to make the melee stance "stand_6" use the duel saber stance.

shot0017_zpsbf3b11a4.jpg

Sorry for the partial and temporary thread hi-jack.

Mandalorian likes this

I really like them and there exactly what I had in mind. May I have attain a copy from you to use in my mod? full credit will always be yours obviously. that's some nice work on the animation reload especially.

I am pretty sure I have seen these anims on youtube at some point and was thoroughly impressed but It was a fair few months ago so I could be mistaken. :)