JK2/3files kick the bucket

I know, it's not like anyone cares. No one is going to sue you for sharing a mod or review that someone made 10 years ago. Not only that, but mods for a Star Wars game are a legal gray area to begin with.

@@Circa, do you remember which files you downloaded from my mirror that were corrupted? I just downloaded a few and they worked fine. The bot might have corrupted only a certain category of mods.

Quite a few, but I don't remember. I tried multiple files in different categories. I can try again I suppose. Might make myself look like an idiot, but that's not new.

EDIT: @Skyo yeah, just downloaded a bunch of different ones. A few skins, models, maps, utilities. All corrupted. Tried on both Windows and OSX.

Had to chime in here to say that I also had the corrupted .zip file error too, at least when I used the standard Windows File Explorer. I then tried 7-Zip, and I was able to open the .zip file and successfully extract the .pk3 file, which opens fine in PakScape. I'm running Windows 8.1 and the file that I downloaded was the JK3 map Winter's Gift. Hope this helps!

Yeah, I was using default Windows File Explorer as well. And default decompression method on OSX. Though I think I tried another app on OSX and didn't work with that either.

Pretty sure all files are affected, but one in particular I tried was bespintower.zip in Maps/FFA

The problem must be the default archive manager on Mac OS X and Windows. I was able to download and extract bespintower.zip to my base folder and played the map and everything worked fine. I'm running Linux currently, so I'm using the default archive manager on that. Like Tavik said, try using 7-zip or Winrar to extract it.

So for now, anyone who needs to download from JK3files can use my mirror until mrwonko's torrent is ready.

Circa likes this

I checked it out, the box archive files (bespintower.zip in particular) seem to have 1300 extra 0-bytes at the beginning for no apparent reason. That is not the case with the original files on filefront and confuses the Windows Zip handling.

My torrent is working, but I feel like it'd be best to upload it to my server first, since that actually has decent upload speed. I'm limited by my 1.1MBit/s upload rate, so at best this will take around a week; dividing the bandwidth between multiple clients would most likely slow it down.

I'll share the torrent once I'm done uploading the files to my server.

Circa likes this

Guess who's done uploading the files to his server? (Answer: me!)

It's currently checking the files for integrity, but the upload's done, so the torrent is now available here. Go ahead and put my supposed unlimited traffic to the test.

It'll be a while until I have time to create a nice http mirror, but this should suffice for now.

Keep in mind that this is 40'000 files totaling over 60GB; some torrent clients may not take too kindly to that. I've had success with rtorrent on Linux and Tixati on Windows, your mileage may vary?

Valtarien, Ping, Circa and 1 other like this

Agreed, whilst JKHub might have most of the files (And the others backed up), we lost a treasure trove of great reviews. That's probably the biggest loss unfortunately...

I just tried and you can still acces the reviews using "http://archive.org/web/". So we can actualy try to archive them if needed. (Here's the most recent capture: http://web.archive.org/web/20150526122031/http://jediknight3.filefront.com/). The downloadlinks do not work though. 

You gotta search manual since the searchbar is disfunct.  

• 1 month later...

I just tried and you can still acces the reviews using "http://archive.org/web/". So we can actualy try to archive them if needed. (Here's the most recent capture: http://web.archive.org/web/20150526122031/http://jediknight3.filefront.com/). The downloadlinks do not work though. 

You gotta search manual since the searchbar is disfunct.  

I would like to hop in here and say that all my reviews are still saved on my computer and always have been. In case anyone wants my review of their file sending to them.

therfiles, Sentra, Raz0r and 2 others like this

Ah, nice to see you here Nozyspy. :)

Nice to see you too man, I remember you! :)

I see you stepped in as Admin. Grats. I wanted to contact someone to see how the site was going along and whether there was anything I could do to help. I actually didnt see that until i read the news item a bit more closely. I remember SiLink too, some familiar faces around here!

Well well. More familiar faces popping up.

Ahhh Nab, i remember you too, nice to see you again mate!

Im pretty shocked about JKFiles being shut down, as I didnt get any prior warning via Staff emails or anything. Last thing I heard the network was meant to go into 'archival mode'. I.e, just keeping the sites ticking over but not doing anything to repair them is what i took from that. But it looks like things got so bad it was decided they just were not practical to maintain them as is at all any more.

mrwonko and Sentra like this

20:13 <Raz0r> could be worth experimenting on the jk3files torrent with image compressors
20:13 <Raz0r> even whitespace compressors could save about 1mb i think =p
20:13 <Raz0r> could also strip unnecessary _humanoid folders and model.glm files for base models
20:13 <Raz0r> that's got to account for a few hundred meg

Further discussion points out the best approach is an on-demand downloader + installer with de-duplication (i.e. if two mods have duplicate assets or the assets are already in base, just reference the one file)

This would probably require a large amount of manual work and setting up scripts to repackage mods, dependency management would be difficult (and likely involve parsing models, shaders, maps etc)

Not sure how much difference a few hundred MB would make for a 60GB torrent... Anybody looking for a specific mod has the web mirror, and if you want it all 60GB is quite manageable.

I'm in favor of a nice packet manager-ish mod solution, but targeting new mods, not the jk3files archive.

Smoo likes this
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Farewell jk2files.com. : 

This was an amazing site that I used to check everyday for years. 

The joy of seeing some new great singleplayer level, and the eye-rolling of another jawa, reborn, or Rosh reskin. 

I'm really sad now.

oh noes, not jk2files, now i can't get the dark forces mod demo for jedi outcast on there  :

oh wait, i got it uploaded on here  :P