Moonbase Labs

What do you mean?

Sorry. It was a very short statement that means the following:

Every single screenshot and video showcased in this thread absolutely screams BSP brush based Radiant work. UDK projects are so starkly different that mistaking this for one of them is a ludicrous notion to me. :) 

There are a number of other signs here given away by the use of doom3 textures. For instance, the diffuse maps he lifted out of the D3 assets, (Or the d3 high quality texture pack?) look really funky in some cases because those textures are meant to be accompanied by a normal map texture and specular map texture.

The geometric surface detail isn't painted into the diffuse map because in D3 the normal map is meant to interact with the light to create the geometric surface detail. Thus in JK3 where that shit just doesn't exist, the use of these diffuse maps looks really fucking funky.

(Sorry szico)

tldr:

lolwat

eezstreet likes this

Sorry. It was a very short statement that means the following:

Every single screenshot and video showcased in this thread absolutely screams BSP brush based Radiant work. UDK projects are so starkly different that mistaking this for one of them is a ludicrous notion to me. :)

There are a number of other signs here given away by the use of doom3 textures. For instance, the diffuse maps he lifted out of the D3 assets, (Or the d3 high quality texture pack?) look really funky in some cases because those textures are meant to be accompanied by a normal map texture and specular map texture.

The geometric surface detail isn't painted into the diffuse map because in D3 the normal map is meant to interact with the light to create the geometric surface detail. Thus in JK3 where that shit just doesn't exist, the use of these diffuse maps looks really fucking funky.

(Sorry szico)

tldr:

lolwat

I realise. The rails scream brush work, but UDK can use brushes too (I should know), but the lighting and models, and the textures are so well made, I would've easily mistaken it for UDK for a short period.

I realise. The rails scream brush work, but UDK can use brushes too (I should know), but the lighting and models, and the textures are so well made, I would've easily mistaken it for UDK for a short period.

But..... that's the point I'm making. The textures, models and lighting makes it certain at a glance that this shouldn't ever be mistaken for UDK work at all.

And I'm very familiar with the use of bsp brushes in the UDK. It's a very outdated practice, unless you are rapidly prototyping, and let's be honest, you can rapidly prototype in Maya way more quickly. The only thing I'd use bsp brushes for at all is to quickly perfect series of scripted events before importing static meshes.

Let's just forget you said anything and move on. That's certainly what I want to do at this point. :P

Well... I have no idea about how these maps are made, but I like the aesthetic. It is uncommon, unique, distinct. The stylistic choices are what sets Atlantica and other maps apart. This isn't just a map I'm going to play, it is a map I will always remember. I continue to look forward to progress being made.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...