E-11 Blaster Rifle

Hahaha, you noticed the venting holes, damn. By the time I finished duplicating and positioning, I didn't feel like fixing the lighting right there. But I will. I'll decrease the wear further, but I still want the gun to look battered and overused. I plan to use it on a mod and the battle weary gun tells a story. The specular light is still missing from the texture because I didn't do it yet. I'll probably delay the next update until I have everything sorted out.

The thing is, as of now your gun does not look overused or battle weary but purposefully damaged.

bump for @@Corto

Look a the wear on these Original Patchett L2A1 (Mk1) SMGs, this is the gun which they modified to build their E-11 Props. Taking a look at real world examples of the weapons Star Wars weapons were based on is usually a good thing to do if you want to get a feel for realistic wear the gun would see.

sterling_mk4.jpg

1policesterl-030366.jpg

Corto likes this

Following Ashura's comments, I have decided to scratch the base layer and do myself the edge wear. I'm going for a much subtle and controlled approach. I'm manually painting lines where I want the wear to be and then controlling the amount using blending effects. It's looking much better so far.

GPChannel likes this

Well done with the gun so far! What strikes me at first glance is the contrast - it's very much just black and white. Perhaps not all wear and tear need to be that visibly fully scratched? Some of it could be more faint, like barely noticeable rust or dust or color variation. Also I think the forms need to be exaggerated more to the diffuse texture with shadows, occlusion and highlights, it's all a bit flat at the moment (too albedoy).

Well done with the gun so far! What strikes me at first glance is the contrast - it's very much just black and white. Perhaps not all wear and tear need to be that visibly fully scratched? Some of it could be more faint, like barely noticeable rust or dust or color variation. Also I think the forms need to be exaggerated more to the diffuse texture with shadows, occlusion and highlights, it's all a bit flat at the moment (too albedoy).

Following Ashura's comments, I have decided to scratch the base layer and do myself the edge wear. I'm going for a much subtle and controlled approach. I'm manually painting lines where I want the wear to be and then controlling the amount using blending effects. It's looking much better so far.

It's all being taken care of.

Maksman and lervish like this

I'm not there yet. There are several details I need to add to the texture and then there's the matter of optimizing the world model (which will require that I make more changes to the texture in order to fake some geometry detail into it). Thanks to everyone, specially to Ashura for pushing me not to slack and have it done properly.

SomaZ likes this

Nice work! ...the gloves could use more love.

Don't even mention it. Those gloves are just a placeholder and need to go. I really need to get rid of those arms and model the sleeves of Kyle's jacket and turn those gloves into Kyle's merc gloves. That's the problem with raising the bar with something. Everything else needs to follow or they stand out in a bad way.

@@Corto I really recommend you to check out some Sub-D modeling techniques and give that a shot.

With a nicely done HP mesh to bake from and retopo you can easily make 2 lowpoly meshes with completely different topology, detailing and therefore UVs. You can even just texture one of the meshes and let Substance Painter reproject your work onto the lower detail version.

Putting this in a spoiler tag to not derail your thread too much.

here's an example of what I just described:

My Bryar Pistol Highpoly Mesh

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5RGbW

Embedded Proto-View and world Mesh there, the ingame Viewmesh had all unseen faces removed and adjusted UVs to maximize usage of the now free UV space.

In essence I made one HP mesh, did 2 retopos - one for the ProtoView and another for the world mesh, UV mapped both lowpoly meshes, textured the Proto-Viewmesh in Substance Painter, transferred textures to the world mesh, copied my Proto-View mesh and removed all faces that would never be seen ingame, repacked the remainnig UV shells and projected the textures again. The most time was taken for the HP model, the first retopo and the initial texturing process.

I'm currently learning sculpting with Zbrush. But I can also use sub-d in Softimage itself and create extremely detailed hard surface meshes like you say. I guess I need to adapt to current techniques. For my next gun, I'll start with high poly and do what you propose.