E-11 Blaster Rifle

@@Corto I just had a look at your recently updated E11 - your file includes two spec maps, one in .tga and one in .jpg if they were visually the same I would not ask this but: which one is the one you intended for use? I'd delete the other one.

especially considering that both are really not ideal. The TGA one seems to be better - mainly because the toher is jsut a itnreased contrast version of the diffuse :P (which is usually bad)

EDIT:

After all these years of messing with spec maps in JKA I found thy only really work for metals and not overly glossy but shiney plastic.

so for everything that should not give off a sharp refelction should be black in your spec map or its alpha channel.

jMx3oORl.png

as you can see in this example, the wood is pitchblack on my spec map. all the cavities that'd catch a fair amount of dirt are also black.

To make your spec map interesting try to avoid large evenly shaded areas and instead have lots of layered subtle variation to break up the uniformity.

Maksman and Dark_Reaper like this

@@Corto I just had a look at your recently updated E11 - your file includes two spec maps, one in .tga and one in .jpg if they were visually the same I would not ask this but: which one is the one you intended for use? I'd delete the other one.

especially considering that both are really not ideal. The TGA one seems to be better - mainly because the toher is jsut a itnreased contrast version of the diffuse :P (which is usually bad)

EDIT:

After all these years of messing with spec maps in JKA I found thy only really work for metals and not overly glossy but shiney plastic.

so for everything that should not give off a sharp refelction should be black in your spec map or its alpha channel.

jMx3oORl.png

as you can see in this example, the wood is pitchblack on my spec map. all the cavities that'd catch a fair amount of dirt are also black.

To make your spec map interesting try to avoid large evenly shaded areas and instead have lots of layered subtle variation to break up the uniformity.

Off topic sorry but I love the Bryar Pistol so much.

If there is a jpg and tga, then it's a mistake from my part. I was testing things with different file formats and I must have forgotten to erase the tga. After testing and testing what happens when you use the specular lighting as alpha gen for the specular stage, I decided that the classic black and white image didn't cut it at all. In fact, was making the whole thing look off. So I went for diffuse version with tighter levels (which makes the image have more contrast), with specific bits of the image even more shinnier. This definitively gave the best look possible. Now, having an alpha channel to mask where the gun should shine more or not at all is the way to go, but using a tga file that big was just not worth it. I'm going to upload a new file without the tga. Thanks for the heads up.

Lmao. Those fingers are stiff indeed! The truth is I modeled the hands using the factory humanoid skeleton from Softimage as reference and I didn't bother to bend the finger like properly holding the gun. Mainly because you don't see the gun from any other point of view in the first person and the way I position the hands, they look realistic. I didn't know there was a mod that allowed you to lean to the sides like that. Good thing I didn't delete the polygons that were not supposed to be seen from the first person view or otherwise that would have looked like crap. What mod are you using?

Just tested it. I'm going to fix it on my next update. I was also thinking about adding more arms and gloves variations to the model and then assign a transparent texture to the arms or gloves variations you don't want to be seen. That way, the gun can be adapted to several diffent mods. In fact, if someone doesn't want to have arms in the model, right now, it should be enough to replace the current textures for the arms with all transparent textures or editing the shader file and set the Alphagen to const = 0.

Just tested it. I'm going to fix it on my next update. I was also thinking about adding more arms and gloves variations to the model and then assign a transparent texture to the arms or gloves variations you don't want to be seen. That way, the gun can be adapted to several diffent mods. In fact, if someone doesn't want to have arms in the model, right now, it should be enough to replace the current textures for the arms with all transparent textures or editing the shader file and set the Alphagen to const = 0.

Making them fully transparent does not mean that they are not rendered.

Add modular .pk3s with different arms in the blaster_hand.md3 that overwrite the default ones.