Alright, which GTKRadiant is better?

Really, it is a matter of preference. Different people swear by different versions. If you are following my mapping tutorials, I recommend you use 1.3.12 so that everything is in the same place.

I prefer that version as i find on my pc it is the most stable, and mainly, its just what I am used to. Your best bet is to have a play with the different versions once you know the basic functions of radiant, so you know which works best for you.

I use a combination of 1.4 and 1.5, I love 1.4's click and drag feature and how it's able to deselect individual faces after selecting a brush. I have no idea why they removed those features.

1.5 also can make editing terrain a nightmare. There's also several annoying bugs I have come across on 1.5 that make me rage :P

But that's not to say 1.4 doesn't have its fair share of bugs... like undoing stuff causing duplicates to be made, that was such a bitch in my last mapping project (which I just finished yesterday! how about that? :P)

• 3 weeks later...

JK2Radiant all the way, etc.

On a more serious note, JK2Radiant and 1.4 had the ability to deselect certain faces on brushes and had the Z bar on the left. Why they got rid of those two things in 1.5 (and added a lot of general instability too) is beyond me. I wish they'd bring back the Z bar. Unfortunately, 1.4 doesn't install too well on x64 systems (forces it to look in Program Files instead of Program Files (x86) (a lot of Raven tools do the exact same thing, clearly nobody's aware that system/environment variables are a thing))

1.4.0 is better and has more features and plugins imho, and as has been said, more stable. Also, there's nothing you can do in 1.5 that you can't in 1.4 (but not the other way around.)

1.5.0 has a obj exporter. But, its crap as it wont export patch meshes. So I don't count that one.

I like GTK 1.5 better. It's interface is much easier to use, and there are many new features. However, if you are concerned about stability, go with 1.4.

so much wrong with what was said here imo

GTK 1.5 does NOT have more features or an easier to use interface (try having to press the XYZ rotate button every time you want to edit the height of a brush. do not want)

actually i find 1.4 a clusterfuck compared to 1.5, I maybe able to work in clutter, but only clutter I create and its easy to use if you were trained on 1.5, same motto could be said for tne 1.4 users or 1.3 users, its all preference though so, try all 3 or 4 whatvever and see which one suits you best, thats the only way you can do it

Personally been sticking to 1.4 and now 1.6.

The only thing I wish these versions have, which 1.5 has is increased performance in the grid and camera-view (Laggy on large/detailed maps in 1.4 and 1.6 with cubic clipping off).

One Q about 1.6.2 however: Does the q3map2 compiler have the latest additions such as increased memory handling?

Personally been sticking to 1.4 and now 1.6.

The only thing I wish these versions have, which 1.5 has is increased performance in the grid and camera-view (Laggy on large/detailed maps in 1.4 and 1.6 with cubic clipping off).

One Q about 1.6.2 however: Does the q3map2 compiler have the latest additions such as increased memory handling?

It has whatever the most recent official q3map2 is 2.5.16 or 2.5.17 I believe. If you want the increased memory handling you must DL a new (unofficial) version from JKHub or elsewhere.