2015 is shaping up to be the shakeup year of the decade. In terms of movies, four very promising film franchise returns: Mad Max Fury Road, Jurassic World, Terminator: Genysis, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Marvel will be producing another Spider Man movie, taking the reins from Sony.

This will certainly be a big year for games as well. For the first time, Bethesda will make an appearance at E3, showing off Doom 4 - the first public game footage and first new entry in Doom since 10 years ago. And, just announced - Fallout 4, which from the trailer suggests that it will take place before and after the Great War, and break ground in a new Boston locale. There are also rumors of a Dishonored 2, new Wolfenstein content and more ESO expansions.

There are of course EA and Activision. No doubt EA are going to show off Battlefront, a new Battlefield, Mirror's Edge, and the new Need For Speed game as well as Madden, while Activision will talk about Black Ops 3 and their reboot of Guitar Hero. I honestly don't see that many surprises coming from them. Same with Ubisoft - Just Dance, Assassin's Creed, Rayman, Tom Clancy, and probably some new IP.

Is there something you're looking forward to at E3 next week?

Circa likes this

I'm super excited for and have already pre-ordered Fallout 4 and Battlefront.

I also preordered Black Ops 3, though depending on the E3 presentation I may cancel that. Not sure. I collect the CoD games so I'll be getting it eventually, just not sure about this one.

Didn't know about the Dishonored 2, that will be awesome.

from june 16 to 18 :P

My high hopes for this years E3 is to see some more of No mens Sky PS4 release date :D

SW:Battlefront, New Hitman game if that will be showcase of that one the new Mad Max game also for sure :)

And ofc Windows 10 with full showcase of DX12 

but what else there will come out is also nice to looking forward to also :)

Battlefront was a nice thing to see, though I don't feel thrilled, the DLC for SWTOR was also a down step... It was beautiful and colorful, and the designs are cool. But if you remove lightsabers, it doesn't feel like Star Wars somehow.

Mass Effect 4 showed as much, as one character in "Best Offer" said - "You can tell people a lot by not telling them nothing at all". So here we had very good landscapes, a "MAKO" glimpse, but that's it. I expected more.

The new Hitman game is the one, which I am looking forward a lot now. I haven't tried the fifth installment yet, which has been criticized a lot, but I am positive the new part would be a pleasant surprise.

Deus Ex is also something I would like to try, but most of these games will require a better machine... Perhaps worth trying.

I'm a big CoD fan but I'm not looking forward to BO3 at all. Getting tired of this futuristic stuff. Looks like they stole the movement system from Titanfall, which I don't doubt they'll do it better, but it doesn't belong in a Call of Duty game. I want historic games again, like World at War or Black Ops 1.

I'm most edited for Battlefront, definitely.

@@NumberWan where did it say there will be no sabers? The trailer for the DLC was all about those Jedi, right?

I found E3 sucked this year. Sure, there were quite a few good games, but for the most part, most of it felt like filler. Maybe that's just me.

One of the biggest problems I've noticed with nintendo, perhaps again it's just me, but their creativity continues to spiral down, as well as making their games easier and easier every year. If you watched the starfox gameplay, you'll see what I mean (however, they may have just buffed his health up just for that demo so he didn't die, so I could be wrong).

However, I still have hope for Zelda U.

@@Circa

You mistook my message. I said, that the lightsabers in the trailer are the only thing, which helps identifying the DLC as Star Wars. All other things could indicate, that this is another franchise. Unlike other Star Wars games (stories) this presents a design, too different from the traditions of the Galaxy. KOTOR had its own unique charm, and the design was memorable, but yet after seeing the visual identity of that game, you could definitely say - hey, that's Star Wars.

BruceJohnJenner likes this

@@CircaYou mistook my message. I said, that the lightsabers in the trailer are the only thing, which helps identifying the DLC as Star Wars. All other things could indicate, that this is another franchise. Unlike other Star Wars games (stories) this presents a design, too different from the traditions of the Galaxy. KOTOR had its own unique charm, and the design was memorable, but yet after seeing the visual identity of that game, you could definitely say - hey, that's Star Wars.

Ah. I see. I'd agree with that, yeah. Though same could be said for SWTOR in general. It hasn't really stuck with classic Star Wars art style at all.

@@Circa

Unfortunately it did. I mean the problem with SWTOR in general, that it took too much from the films. You can see Republic Troopers (=Clones), speeder bikes (=speederbike from Ep VI), various other things, which remind the OT and the prequels just too much. Unlike KOTOR: you clearly see, that Sith Soldier is a predecessor of the clones and most likely the stormtroopers, but it looks very different. As surprising as it might be, but this what makes KOTOR more realistic than SWTOR. More believable.

As for the plot, then I would agree with you (if I got it right), that it's not that special, as you can "strip away the Force, and what remains?", as Kreia said.

Circa, BruceJohnJenner and Rayce like this

Such a vast Galaxy, with a long long history, I bet one could add Planet of the Apes somewhere in there and it would still be called Canon StarWars,
and the architecture, cultural style would instantly be seen as fitting, for StarWars.  I'm not seeing where this conversation leads to....

Rayce likes this

Full disclosure: I play SWTOR. But I agree with NumberWan's point, it is a bit too much like traditional Star Wars for something that's supposed to take place 3500 years earlier. In that regard, I like the visual style of the KotOR games and comics better. 352453.jpg

NumberWan likes this

@

The point is that Star Wars is like a good brand, and his its own visual identity. Not only it must be beautiful, it must be justified, explainable. Like a good design. A certain effort is put into such matter, and the result - is a viable and beloved product, admirable and unique.

The idea is also, that one must not be delusional and follow this rule 100% turning everything into cliché and using old ideas only. It doesn't work good that way either. In case of the new DLC - they've created something... too much.

E3 this year was basically the year of teaser trailers. Not gameplay, not CG hype trailers, just teasers. Lots of which were for things we already knew were coming.Things were talked about, but rarely shown or shown very little of.

That being said, lots of cool stuff coming. Just think the conference overall has been a disappointment.

I'm not a big fan of gameplay trailers anyway. If it's a new game, I prefer to be surprised as much as possible.

But also, I think a lot of games these days are in full development up until right before release almost, so they aren't as comfortable with releasing unfinished gameplay as much as they used to be. My assumption at least.

I originally thought that Sony won E3, but thinking about some more, their conference was just O.K and Microsoft did the best of the main 3. Nintendo's quality varied from absolute shit to mediocre. They did get some laughs from me though because of the whole muppet thing, I'll give them credit for that.

FFVII was a humongous surprise, especially since they're still focusing on other FF games in development. I thought that FFVII being exclusive for the PS4 would have been thing Sony needed, but then I found out it's soon coming to the Xboner. Shenmue 3 was also a massive surprise, but the whole kickstarter campaign ended up being a more of a scam to see the game's demand, rather than actually being needed to help develop the game. A shame that some people lost $1,000 - $10,000 because of that. I think if they knew the truth about the kickstarter, the amount raised would have been significantly less than what it is now, which is around 3.5 million.

The Xboner's compatibility sounds fantastic and I hope it means that I can play games like Halo Reach on an XO someday. That is, if I ever get the console.

Nintendo just killed it's E3 with Federation Force. It's both laughable and sad.

Battlefront 3 looks like a gift from god.