Star Wars Episode VII Discussion

One rumour, which was troubling me for some time now, actually was proven in this trailer:

While Vader's body was burnt, his helmet and even a skull within still remains. Perhaps the villain would draw some mystic stuff from it...

I think, this is part of a philosophical aspect of the film, the continuation of certain ideas, part of the chain, now formed of seven episodes.

I also feel much Shakespeare in this one.  :D

Cerez likes this

@GPChannel

If only that were Teaser #3 =))) But thanks for the link anyways. It's already being discussed. So please, what's your impression of the new video?

Also someone by the name of Aaron Kennedy is playing an unknown cloaked messenger, as according to IMDB.

The rumours coming in too fast. We now also know the name of the planet seen in the trailers.

Jakku - a desert planet, where Falcom engages TIEs - according to wookiepedia.

@Intone

it might be a spoiler, but it's not Tatooine. I also believe, that Han would rather say that phrase about Falcon or Corellia. But the phrase must also mean something for us, and Corellia is unlikely to bring any nostalgic memories (Rogue Squadron 3D and SWTOR don't count).

I also noticed an X-Wing of older version in the trailer. And there is an unknown figure at the ceremony, when we see lots of stormtroopers, new TIEs and Imperial turrets.

Checked the alien hand with Anakin's lightsaber one more time. :) That must the code-named Rose character.

The planet is referred to as Jakku which is most likely a stand-in for Tatoonie. First Order and Resistance are basically the movie version of the Imperial Remnant and New Republic. Whats the name of the snow planet during the rally/ceremony?

@DrXann

I think it is somehow symbolical, that Tunisia became Tatooine, while a different location served for Jakku. The concepts showed various architecture, including colomns with blue stripes in the hangar. And you are right, that FO and Resistance replace the older familiar organizations.

The snow planer hasn't been revealed yet, but in 1 interview it was said, that the planet might not be snowy at all - it's simply the mountains on this world.

The ceremony itself is a clear nod towards the Triumph of the will. The uniform, the leader in the distance and the red flag itself.

@Intone

it might be a spoiler, but it's not Tatooine. I also believe, that Han would rather say that phrase about Falcon or Corellia.

...If they're referring to the Falcon, how would that make sense? Why would they leave their prized ship behind for such a long time and come back to it later? Isn't it Han's pride and joy? I doubt he'd ever decide to ditch it for a while.

And Corellia... meh. Not as nostalgic, and I don't see why Corellia would be Chewie's home. I still think/hope it's Tatooine, I don't see what else they'd want to call home.

Maybe this is a slip of the ear...but I think Luke says "My father has it" and not "My father had it" which seems to imply that Vader has a presence in the movie beyond probably a force ghost.

The audio is of when Luke was telling Leia that she was his sister from Return of the Jedi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYX_PgorRY

But again there are suppose to be Vader flashbacks.

also took some screenshots of a few of my favorite parts of the trailer:

Tycsfvi.png

Looks like Tatooine to me, we all maybe wrong.

rR9bdQO.png

That looks alot like Hoth to me!

Smjg4Qu.png

Looks like an important scene on Tatooine!

HZLjKUq.png

She certainly has the look of Padme, hopefully she is kin to some of the Skywalkers!

Z51cc2B.png

Something bad is about to happen....Ive got a bad feeling about this!

link to my album of other trailer photos:

https://jkhub.org/albums/P7c8r

Feel free to use these photos if anyone wants to!

NumberWan likes this

The audio is of when Luke was telling Leia that she was his sister from Return of the Jedi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYX_PgorRY

But again there are suppose to be Vader flashbacks.

also took some screenshots of a few of my favorite parts of the trailer:

Tycsfvi.png

Looks like Tatooine to me, we all maybe wrong.

rR9bdQO.png

That looks alot like Hoth to me!

Smjg4Qu.png

Looks like an important scene on Tatooine!

HZLjKUq.png

She certainly has the look of Padme, hopefully she is kin to some of the Skywalkers!

Z51cc2B.png

Something bad is about to happen....Ive got a bad feeling about this!

link to my album of other trailer photos:

https://jkhub.org/albums/P7c8r

Feel free to use these photos if anyone wants to!

Holy crap, I didn't even realize the reference. Well played, Abrams. Well played.

z3filus likes this

So... is Luke going to have a daughter instead of a son in this story? Obviously the other lead character can't be his son... Or is Ben Skywalker going to appear in this story after all? :huh:

I'm confused...

I think a female heroine would suit better, actually -- but I'm not fond of ditching the old canon.

NumberWan likes this

I'd like to see a character besides another man. I mean, just think of it. I think the father/son thing already had its heyday with the original trilogy. We need someone totally different to tell a new story. I'm prepared to back this up with some evidence:

- The first teaser showed us the chick driving around on a landspeeder. Relevance? The name Skywalker is associated with pilots and those who otherwise drive vehicles. Anakin drove a podracer. Luke drove a landspeeder. In the second trailer, we see a familiar image: a streak flying through the desert. This bears a striking resemblance to many scenes in Ep1 and 4.

- I mean, she looks like Luke and Leia, and bears a striking similarity to Padme. I don't see much Solo in her though.

- There's also the other pilot guy. He's seen in an x-wing. I think it's safe to assume that he's probably a Skywalker too. There's a pretty strong resemblance to Luke there.

- Luke is most likely going to serve as an Old Ben to some apprentice. However, who it is remains a mystery. I've assumed that the two are children, above. Either one of these assumptions may be wrong. Or, it's possibly a plot twist. Maybe only one of them gets chosen as a Jedi. Maybe one resembles the dark side and the other, the light. It's noteworthy because the girl helps up a stormtrooper, while the guy is fighting off tie fighters. A conflict of interests? Perhaps the light and the dark are resembled here.

I could be wrong. Maybe the black stormtrooper is a spy. Maybe she doesn't know he's a stormtrooper. Maybe in an effort to hide this from her, he runs out in the desert and she's looking for him. Who knows?

I generally think people are really hard core rushing to judgment about the Disney acquisition. Yes, Rebels may or may not suck (depends on your viewpoint, and honestly I haven't seen it), but TCW quite honestly sucked in my opinion, so it's not exactly hurting the status quo if it sucks. A lot of the EU was crap and I think they made a good call in removing it.

@@Cerez

Well, there have been several rumors now. All I can say is that it seems, they are not changing the EU 100%. They are reshaping it. I said that once, but the closest example would be the original story of Alexander the Great. Try the one, known in the Ancient times. Then there is another version - revised during the Middle Ages, which applied its reality to the story.

So Episode VII continues EU, not everything will end in the movie, we won't see Daala, Thrawn or other characters. But the movie surely has Jaina Solo, which will be known from a very different perspective. And the same applies to all others. Yavin IV academy remained a Rebel base even after the events of the OT. JO and JA show us that.

One of the rumors showed an interesting theory why none of the known young new characters in Episode VII bear the names of Skywalker, Organa or Solo.

The legendary group of heroes is split up, and the children don't spend much time with their parents. Living on their own away from larger and more civilized Galaxy, they use only part of their original names or even alias. The reason is either they know the responsibilities and dangers of these names, or they told to remain hidden - the former Imperial allies might seek vengeance against the legacy of the Skywalker.

I might be running ahead, but the concepts leaked, that Yavin IV would indeed be what we expected it to be in the EU era.

@

Well, Falcon is most likely. Corellia doesn't give any chills to the fans. I think the right example of the same case would be Indiana Jones IV, when Indy and his companion say "This won't be as easy as it used to be" or smth like that. This phrase is a call to the fans. It's not just that Han returned home - it is an opportunity for the fans to return to what they like the most, to the roots of Star Wars.

Unfortunately, this doesn't imply Tatooine either. Watched the Celebration Anaheim, they explained why.

@@eezstreet

It is true, that the main topic of father-son was shown from a perfect angle in the OT. I guess, the new films might continue the theme of family relations to the new areas. For instance, they might show us what it is like to be part of a complicated legacy, which divides people in opinions. We might remember Obi Wan Kenobi here, as he once said, that many things in the world depend upon one point of view or another.

The man behind the mask is always a theme of Star Wars, in OT it was Vader. In the prequels it was Darth Sidious. So this will continue with Episode VII. A few months ago it was mentioned that:

The would be a hidden enemy, which won't be revealed until very late. Besides the villain, which would be playing pawns, and the two bad guys on the front, there will be a good guy with a very mysterious background revealed at later point unexpectedly in the future.

While the trailers showed us the girl (Rey) and the pilot (Pomeron), I think they are indeed the grandchildren of Anakin Skywalker. And yes, there is a resemblance to Padme. :) Taking into account, how they were choosing people for the roles of parents of Anakin and Padme, I am pretty sure this is not a coincidence.

Some pictures, including variants of new Stormtroopers (!)

Some people might like this:

kylorenlightsaber.jpg

This news suggests that the time after Episode VI is quite different than in the EU. That's why:

The Empire has fallen, but not destroyed. The rumors are that both the Emperor and Vader are dead, but is it true? While some planets enjoy freedom, others don't rush to leave the Empire. A new government is formed. And the Galaxy is in turmoil due to very different views on what truly happened near Endor.

Funny, the trailer is already officially translated into Russian as well. O_o

Cerez likes this

The new stormtrooper design looks silly/cartoony for a movie to me, but these new advanced trooper helmets look quite interesting!

It makes sense that the story of this movie would be something only remotely connected to the original trilogy, and the leaks you've mentioned here, @@NumberWan, do sound like a wise way to go storytelling a new chapter in the movie series -- without disappointing the fans.

Tough I'm not sure what Harrison Ford's appearance has to do with all this -- I'm guessing very little.

I actually enjoyed the theory on what's going on, from one of the forums.

The film will start with Finn participating in an Empire mission with Kylo Ren in command, massacring and burning down a village (Stormtroopers being deployed to a village in trailer 1, Kylo Ren at the burning scene in trailer 2).

The mission makes Finn start questioning his moral stance and he decides to defect from the Empire. Traumatized and with blood on his hands, he returns to the star destroyer and shoots up his former allies with a TIE Fighter (seen in trailer 2) and attempts his escape.

He gets shot down over Jakku (opening shot to trailer 1, most likely the same planet where the village massacre took place), and he is left to search for refuge on his own.

He comes across Rey, who found Luke's lightsaber in her scavenging (as seen cleaerly in the third pic below). Finn recognizes the weapon as that of the infamous Luke Skywalker, the legend responsible for crippling the Empire (know your enemy and all).

This leads Rey and Finn to seek out Luke after discovering that Rey has a connection with the force (and possibly the Skywalker family). They head to the trader outpost seen in both trailers. The Chrometrooper is hellbent on taking out Finn, and leads a ruthless hunt for him (almost satisfying the role of bounty hunter, only under the Empire's command). And so, we have the scene in which TIE fighters bombard the trader outpost with the intention of taking out Finn (trailer 2).

They steal the Millennium Falcon and attempt their escape from Jakku, with the intention of rallying with the Rebel Alliance in another system. Mind you, the pilot chsing down the Falcon utilizes chrome armor.

Upon escaping, they meet with the leader of the Rebel Alliance, Leia, knowing she's Luke's sibling and that she may be able to assist in seeking him out. They get Luke's saber in her hands and she recognizes it as her brother's, legitimizing Rey and Finn's intentions. Before sending them out to seek him (and unsure of Luke's mental state), she provides them with companions who have history with Luke: Han and Chewie. "Chewie, we're home" implies that Han nor Chewie have commandeered the Falcon in a long time, effectively busting the theory that Han and Chewie help Rey and Finn get out of Jakku (that would be a bit too convenient). This approach also enables the film to reunite Han and Leia in a way that makes sense. Also, I'll have to guess that R2 and C3P0 are under the Rebel Alliance's supervision up to this point, and they're also sent along with Han and company aboard the Falcon (just like old times).

Regarding Kylo Ren, I suspect he senses a threat to the Sith and the Empire, one linked to the Skywalkers (and we all know what happens when you pit a Skywalker against the Empire). He seeks out the remains of Vader, somehow trying to narrow down who this person (Rey) is. This might be an opportunity to integrate the much-rumored flashbacks (featuring Vader and the younger versions of Luke and Leia). Kylo then sets out to destroy this potential threat to an already-wounded Empire. He will serve as the endgame villain.

And regarding Poe Dameron, I think he'll be utilized as a rival to Finn (former Stormtrooper against a patriotic X-Wing pilot). It will make for interesting drama and nice contrast between the Empire and Rebel causes.

A stray and completely unsupported guess is that Finn will kill the Chrometrooper (Captain Phasma played by Gwendoline Christie) to complete his respective arc, solidifying him as a good guy when tempted by her to turn against his new friends.

Source

It seems there is BLOOD in this scene (!). Also this is the beginning part of the film.

The Imperial troops attack a village of innocent people, many people killed in a brutal massacre, and Finn participates... Then he leaves and the story begins with Rey. A massacre continues through the planet (remember an explosion in the trailer?)K8KCx5A.jpg

The big boo-boo in this film could be in how they define the origin of the new villain. It could be made very interesting, or it could be made much too convenient. Let's not forget that what made the original trilogy work was really the mystery of the villain, Darth Vader. The new villain would have to originate from a source that is sensible, especially after the "death" of the Force in the original trilogy.

Ironically, the heroes are not so important in this case as the villain. They need to be interesting characters for sure, but what makes the essence of the new story is the villain.

And, guys, I'm a big Ahsoka fan, but if Ahsoka Tano makes an appearance in this movie, I am going to kill myself.

Edit:

The woman receiving the lightsaber when Luke says "sister" in the trailer is not Leia. It's the new heroine.

Edit: Edit:

Warning: could be a major spoiler!!

Are you sure?

Oh my god! It's Jaina! The main heroine in this movie is very likely Jaina Solo, Leia's daughter!

NumberWan likes this

I don't think Ahsoka would appear, though her steps, including the more recent ones might be "a single letter in the longer sentence" =)

The new movie follows the idea, that only the Galactic Civil War is remembered by some characters (I guess, younger ones have a scarce idea of that, while villains misinterpret the history on purpose for their ideals). So the Clone Wars is a very old conflict, which isn't remembered by most. With only a few moments popping up, like that the Republic was in crisis, there were clones and they were fighting someone, which involved the Jedi, which are all to be planed for the downfall of the old order.

Why do you think that wasn't Leia? Well, according to some spoilers, this scene is between Rey (the new female lead) and the new little alien, who would be helping the heroes (together with old veteran, who remembers both the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War, as he survived both of them (description from rumors) and BB-8).

As for the last of your edits. You are most likely right about link of Kira (Rey) to Leia, while about the name - that's still a secret.

I believe her real name might be Jaina, but she uses alias to hide herself, as someone asked or warned her about the Imperial reprisals.And in case of Finn she learns, it is truly dangerous.

Two things reminded of KOTOR:

In KOTOR we see Revan, but there is Malak, who bombards Taris to eliminate Bastila Shan. In Episode VII we see Kylo Ren, who looks like Revan, and he orders the destruction of the traders post to remove Finn, who is in town at that moment.

Cerez likes this