Jan Ors head (Hi-Def)

@@eezstreet ...I can go sleeveless on the prison outfit as shown on Gamora-- I was just thinking the sleeve bit would help hide shoulder deformations. 

Regarding Dark Forces 2... the DF2 clothing would just be another skin in the model file for folks to use as needed-- with a goggles-up & goggles-on version. I'm taking it that the last DF2 pic I showed (where she's standing next to Kyle) to be the "mechanics overalls" outfit-- simply with strapped-on accessories. I'm thinking she should should also have a proper two-piece flight suit.

Refresh my memory on the Coruscant scene?  Do you want to have an elegant dress outfit with fancy hair-do?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, sorry for not having any updates to post... but since coming back from vacation I've been coding a "Multi-Pivot Constraint" controller for Max8+ (will compile up to 2016 as well)... because my JK skeleton rig needs an animatable pivot.

But I'm going back to working on Jan Ors this next week. As soon as I get the head & neck finished I plan to start the facial rig & lip-sync tools development. I'll try to work on the body as time allows.

Thanks for your patience.

Update:  As I began to work on the inner mouth cavity, I realized that I had modeled the upper & lower teeth alignment incorrectly-- the upper teeth should extend further back overlapping the lower teeth... so I had to re-work the lower teeth insetting them with respect to the upper teeth and do a little tweaking.  I think the teeth are good now... so I'm moving on to the tongue and inner mouth cavity.

Teeth WIP 24f pics:

73e67797-b05b-48cc-8419-7b4947071fa4_zps

08f52377-8a93-4c24-98da-a24ee5bc17a0_zps

So now I'm working on the tongue and mouth cavity... I will start modeling the hairstyles this weekend.  I apologize for the lack of progress.

Bek likes this

I was sort of thinking the same thing. The teeth aren't going to be THAT noticeable once you get the model in the game, especially with this old of a game engine. I don't even think most of the newer game engines have teeth that are this accurate.  :P

I was sort of thinking the same thing. The teeth aren't going to be THAT noticeable once you get the model in the game, especially with this old of a game engine. I don't even think most of the newer game engines have teeth that are this accurate. :P

You guys are missing one of the main goals of JKEnhanced as @@eezstreet laid out in his vision for revamping the game's graphics...

Also the teeth & mouth will be very noticeable in close-up cutscenes-- especially when the character is talking because your eyes are drawn to her mouth movements and facial expressions. During actual gameplay it depends on if any scripted interactions call for close-up interaction. There will certainly be LODs... and these higher details will be baked into normal maps as @@AshuraDX has stated.

• 2 weeks later...

@@eezstreet, @@DT85 -- I have the tongue modeled and was working on skinning it to tongue bones-- just as a quick check to verify I have it modelled correctly for deformations.

Does anyone see any reason to have the tongue stick out ( other than just enough to lick lips and stick tongue out short extension to make a funny face)?

I mean, I see no reason to try to make tongue stick out really far...

I don't know. Try viewing lots of footage of people talking and see if the tongue us visible and/or animated. I can picture only one other usecase outside the one you mentioned: having the mouth open slackjaw in an expression of surprise, confusion, disgust or pleasure might expose the tongue.

If you're going to add tongue bones, I'd add no more than 2. First bone for the main part of the tongue, and the second bone for the tip to curl it.

Two bones will not be sufficient to curl a tongue... I'm not sure what the minimum should be. 

James 3:8 says:

"But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison."

This is what I had been playing around with:

tongue_rig_start_zpsdgcecf1x.jpg

My approach so far has been to create a NURBS point curve and add the Spline IK Control Modifier on it. I used two Spline IK solvers (1st chain: bone_tongue_root to bone_tongue_02_eff; 2nd chain: bone_tongue_root thru bone_tongue_eff). Note that bone_tongue_root will not be used for skinning-- it's just there to help anchor the motion.

I've played around with various linking of the IK Chains and point knots (IK_Chain01 is at the tip of the tongue and IK_Chain02 is at the rear of the tongue).

Here is the schematic view showing the hierarchy:

tongue_rig_schematic_view_zpscf2qvakl.jp

EDITThe bone joint location between bone_tongue_01 and bone_tongue_02 could be a bit lower but I think it probably shouldn't matter... so there would only be 5 skin bones: bone_tongue_02 thru bone_tongue_06 (6 total counting the existing jaw bone).

Edited by Archangel35757

2 bones are more than enough for JKA, if the mesh is properly weighed. The amount you have in your pic is seriously overkill when you're only going to see maybe half of the tongue in almost any case. There is also a bone maximum, & afaik less bones = more performance ( @@Xycaleth ? ) so bone wastage is not an option.