Jan Ors head (Hi-Def)

Ok... here's a quick update that has some eyebrows pasted on her face as well as some goggles I took from another file (these are not her "official" goggles-- just something to help you imagine the end result).  I still need to work on areas of the face, model the inner mouth & teeth, hair, attach-to-body, etc.

jan_ors_wip_goggles_zps5653f207.png

What do you think?

Schouldn't the eyes be more in the centre of the face? dunno, it's just what I've been taught in drawing class. Other than that, it looks really great so far!

Her front picture was proportionally scaled so that her eyeballs dimensionally match the location of the skeleton eye bones... so they are anatomically correct.

Her front picture was proportionally scaled so that her eyeballs dimensionally match the location of the skeleton eye bones... so they are anatomically correct.

Sure, but I'd still move them just a LITTLE bit lower, it's allright, because we can't see yet how it will actually look with modeled hair. Maybe you'll do that at the end when you do the final touches to the model, or maybe you really won't need to and it will look splendid! Still, zefilus has given me some thought, there's some truth in what he said, also.

Here's a side-by-side shot of the current WIP and her original front view picture (scaling between the two is not exact):

side-by-side_zps2e9974a7.jpg

Criticism of the nose is valid... the tip and bridge of her nose is a bit wider than I have modeled. But the nostril width lines up perfectly. And before anyone complains about the ears-- go back and read my earlier posts... the field-of-view/perspective of the front image impacts the ear scaling. In general a person's ears should be to the top of the eyelid to the bottom edge of nose.

Here's a side-by-side shot of the current WIP and her original front view picture (scaling between the two is not exact):

side-by-side_zps2e9974a7.jpg

Criticism of the nose is valid... the tip and bridge of her nose is a bit wider than I have modeled. But the nostril width lines up perfectly.

Even the nostrils look somewhat hollow compared to the photo. The eyes look far apart because of the thin nosebridge. Once you fix that,

there's really not much room for critics for her face, it's looking great already. So how about those goggles? The model looks pretty good.

Take a look at your last post on the 3rd site @@Archangel35757 and read this list, you may forever wish me damnation if I'm not right:

1. Make the eyes 10% bigger (not eyebrows, they'd need 5% scaling at the most to be perfect to the reference)
2. Make the nose bridge 10-15% wider
3. Change the center lip line to a more horizontal one (imagine with animations, she'll look sad all the time if you don't)
4. Shorten the lowest ear area by about 30%... I can make a quick photoshop pic if you want
5. Also, if I wanted to make it look like the reference, I'd slim the upper part of the ear a little bit down. This one is completely unimportant

Just those little things to make it look more like the reference pic. I know what you said about scaling it, but still I hope you'll take my advice. I don't mean to criticize, like saying it's not good. Gosh, you're a really good model maker, it's just my own opinion, but it's based on my knowledge/experience from the art of drawing things and the 12 years I've been doing mods for various games.

NumberWan likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

Worked on this a little bit today... and will work on it again tomorrow evening after work... like @@minilogoguy18 said-- front and side references can only get you so far... so I'm using other image orientations I have for her to try and ensure the face has the proper contours.  I'm just using the Editable Poly's "Vertex Paint Deformation" feature to do the sculpting directly in 3ds Max for now... primitive but it seems to be working okay.

Rooxon likes this
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The thing with the photo is that sure, it's her BUT there are things to consider like the depth and FOV, things closer to the camera are going to look larger and that is one of the things that is making the eyes look too far apart. While it may also match to the skeleton, not everyone has the same facial dimensions which the skeleton may just not match up with the model but the model will be more correct.

Now that it's a complete mesh go back and start moving verts in the 3D view using varios angles for reference to get it to look more like her, it's very close but the front and side ortho pics just wont cut it when it comes to getting it just right.