Jan Ors head (Hi-Def)

Update (Work-In-Progress #31):

The face is really close to being finished... just need to smooth out a couple of areas and also spread out the vertices along the forehead centerline. Here are some wireframes...

mandy_amano_wip31_front_zpsvzlhxy7f.png

mandy_amano_wip31_side_zpsnqrvm0zh.png

mandy_amano_wip31_iso_zpsd6hsvgz0.png

Now I need to start gathering reference for female teeth and start modeling the inner mouth, teeth, and tongue-- as well as finish the back of the skull and neck. Hopefully things will begin to go more quickly.

Update (WIP #38):

The neck is pretty much done... working on the finishing the skull now.

mandy_amano_wip38_zps82d71j9i.jpg

That's cool, but I see on the reference photos that the skull behind the ears move out wider, making the gap between the ear and the skull level, but as it is now it looks like the ears are sticking out a little too far. Other than that great job! But I think something this good deserves an entire new body also. I mean that head and neck on a JKA body I don't think would fit right. But still awesome job. :P

You really should get a sculpting program man, this would have taken alot less effort for the same or better result. Looks great regardless though. :)

Hah! I purchased both Mudbox and 3D-Coat... I will most likely use them in the final stage and for making the lower LOD versions... I just don't have time to learn them now.

@@DT85 -- I also think we need to make a dedicated humanoid female skeleton that is just a little bit shorter than the original-- plus give it breast bones. I will go ahead and do this for the Jan Ors model.

Edited by Archangel35757
DT. likes this

That's cool, but I see on the reference photos that the skull behind the ears move out wider, making the gap between the ear and the skull level, but as it is now it looks like the ears are sticking out a little too far. Other than that great job! But I think something this good deserves an entire new body also. I mean that head and neck on a JKA body I don't think would fit right. But still awesome job. :P

What you see is an anomalous artifact from me mirroring the front image across the vertical plane-- her head doesn't follow that outline in that area.

Daedra likes this

Something about the lips doesn't look quite right but I'm not sure what. Too big maybe? Or maybe it's the lack of hair which makes the lips looks bigger?

I think it's just that they are quite red (single colour) and have a very sharp and precise geometrical shape. Reality is a little less perfect. ;)

It's really starting to look like her, @@Archangel35757. Impressive work.  :)

I'd say that aswell @@Archangel35757

render the mesh with a single grey material, probably make it a little glossy

like this : http://shadowness.com/file/item9/265797/image_t6.jpg

helps to show errors in the shape and curves as it highlights them ;)

Archangel35757 likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

UPDATE (WIP48):

So here's the latest head mesh...

mandy_amano_isoViews_zpsbsvn4i1o.jpg

So I think the face mesh is satisfactory... now I just need to work on the mouth slit, teeth and inner mouth cavity... I also still need to smooth a little bit on the backside of the skull... and snap some verts back together along the face/head border... naturally I need to give her:  hair, better eyelashes, eyebrows.

From this angle it looks like I need to tweak the front of the ear lobe to be a bit closer to the face/jaw:

isoView_MandyAmano_JanOrs_wip48_zpskui03  wireOverlay_wip48_zps0euyianm.jpg

One thing I did modeling-wise that might help others is... I cloned the the face mesh as a Reference -- this means any changes to the mesh (either to the original or reference will change them both)... so I aligned the reference clones of the original mesh as best I could to some ISO views and then worked on the original face to help flush it out.

Edited by Archangel35757
GPChannel, DT. and Bek like this

Strange - the bit of flesh between the innermost eyelash and the inner corner of the eye looks bizarre to me. It could be just that angle though, now that I think about it.

Have you thought more about the outfit? Is she going to wear different clothes for different scenes? (I for one found it weird that she is wearing the same clothes for what is referenced as days in the game. Kyle too, and even more so, considering that he hugs and kisses Jan in the same clothes that he was in while wading around in Reelo's trash caravan)

DT. likes this

Strange - the bit of flesh between the innermost eyelash and the inner corner of the eye looks bizarre to me. It could be just that angle though, now that I think about it.

Have you thought more about the outfit? Is she going to wear different clothes for different scenes? (I for one found it weird that she is wearing the same clothes for what is referenced as days in the game. Kyle too, and even more so, considering that he hugs and kisses Jan in the same clothes that he was in while wading around in Reelo's trash caravan)

That bit of flesh is called the "Lacrimal Caruncle"

lacrimal_caruncle_zpswlavamty.jpg

...and if you pull your eyelid down and look in the mirror you'll see it has a bumpy look to it.

Here is the latest head/face work-in-progress shot (WIP49b -- I cleaned up the ear a bit...):

mandy_amano_wip49b_zpsshevyyms.jpg

Presently, I'm working on the inner mouth area now (teeth, tongue, etc.):

jan_teeth_wip8_sideview_zpsddnetitb.jpgjan_teeth_wip8_zps11xiy93y.jpg

Regarding the teeth... the upper teeth are just about done-- I'll meld these into an overall single mesh object later. One thing about the game mouth, or game characters in general... they typically tend to model the teeth on a straight plane-- when in reality the teeth follow the curvature of the jaw.

As far as outfits/clothing goes... I was planning to make her a few different variations: flight suit/mechanic garb, tight leather pants (commando-type outfit), some kind of civil/jedi clothing variant. I'm open to suggestions.

There's five major scenes involving Jan, so I'll round them up nicely:

• Kejim: She ought to be wearing something suited for stealth/combat, as Kyle and Jan are to infiltrate the base together. Maybe a few bits of technical equipment or a first aid kit strapped to her waist.
  • Coruscant: Could be wearing either Kejim or Artus clothes, or optionally some civilian type clothes- perhaps the same clothes at the end of the game.
  • Artus Prime: Only seen with Desann/Tavion. Probably wearing a flightsuit or mechanic garb, since she was leading an airstrike on the topside.
  • Doomgiver/Yavin Swamps: Some sort of prisoner clothes. Maybe she has a haircut too? I wouldn't say the same clothes as the prisoners wear on Kejim/Artus, but maybe something gray or white, more akin to what Leia was wearing in Ep4.
  • Finale: Maybe the same clothes as Coruscant, but civilian/Jedi-friendly outfit. It shouldn't suggest that she's a Jedi (she's not.), but it should suggest that she had a change of clothes at the academy.

I would argue that there should be at least two hairstyles as well, but this is purely optional:

• Ponytail, same as base, but give her some bangs, damn it. A tight ponytail simply doesn't work with Asian hair.
  • Hair down, probably for the finale/Coruscant.
  • Super duper optional: a short hairstyle, as maybe the Remnant has had her hair cut.
Bek, Circa and Archangel35757 like this

Well, in her defense, Jan is always seen in her typical clothes while flying (in the cutscenes in DF2 for example). Also, the Empire didn't bother to give Leia prisoner clothes or haircut in Episode IV.

You could argue that the circumstances with Leia and Jan are slightly different:

• Leia is literally Darth Vader's daughter, and it's likely that he knows this. Maybe it's special treatment on his part. The only reason Desann keeps Jan alive is that she has a lot of knowledge which may prove useful.
  • Leia was only captured for a short period of time (~a day tops), and Jan was captured for several days (as revealed by Galak's dialogue)
  • The Remnant aren't ruled by the same people as the Empire, so perhaps practices are different. Heck, the Remnant openly tolerates Sith, whereas Vader and the Emperor are seen as people clinging to a hokey old religion by Tarkan and co.

I can't remember what the timeline in DF2 looks like, but you've got a valid point there nonetheless. :P

Bek likes this

The timeline of DF2 is also a bit of a mistery, but there are a few hints.

We can assume that the mission on Nar Shaddaa (level 1 and 2 + cutscenes) took at least one day, likely a bit less, and Jan is seen with her typical clothes. At the end of the mission Jan is still flying in her clothes, as well as the (theoretical) day after, when she informs a fully healed Kyle, after sleep, about his "blessed ship going to be in the repair bay for the next few days". Allegedly, it could mean that it took two-three days for Kyle to prepare, travel to Sulon and end his mission there.

They're seen soon afterwards - and Jan was still wearing the same type of clothes. After Kyle's mission at Barons Hed and on Jerec's Sulon Star (which, once again, should take at least two days, according to the sky changes), they're in Kyle's homestead, and guess what? Still the same clothes.

Kyle subsequently makes his way to Ruusan, and Jan is still seen with her clothes. After he defeats Maw, though, there's a slight change: she's not wearing her jacket anymore, and is held prisoner by the remaining Dark Jedi. She's seen with the same outfit at the end of the game.

All in all only Kyle seems to have more outfits: the half-naked and bandaged "sleeping" outfit, his normal mercenary outfit, and his normal outfit + brown jacket and backpack.

Overall, it seems reasonable to assume that DF2 takes place in more or less a week.

(Sorry for the OT wall of text :P )

There's five major scenes involving Jan, so I'll round them up nicely:

• Kejim: She ought to be wearing something suited for stealth/combat, as Kyle and Jan are to infiltrate the base together. Maybe a few bits of technical equipment or a first aid kit strapped to her waist.
  • Coruscant: Could be wearing either Kejim or Artus clothes, or optionally some civilian type clothes- perhaps the same clothes at the end of the game.
  • Artus Prime: Only seen with Desann/Tavion. Probably wearing a flightsuit or mechanic garb, since she was leading an airstrike on the topside.
  • Doomgiver/Yavin Swamps: Some sort of prisoner clothes. Maybe she has a haircut too? I wouldn't say the same clothes as the prisoners wear on Kejim/Artus, but maybe something gray or white, more akin to what Leia was wearing in Ep4.
  • Finale: Maybe the same clothes as Coruscant, but civilian/Jedi-friendly outfit. It shouldn't suggest that she's a Jedi (she's not.), but it should suggest that she had a change of clothes at the academy.

I would argue that there should be at least two hairstyles as well, but this is purely optional:

• Ponytail, same as base, but give her some bangs, damn it. A tight ponytail simply doesn't work with Asian hair.
  • Hair down, probably for the finale/Coruscant.
  • Super duper optional: a short hairstyle, as maybe the Remnant has had her hair cut.

@@eezstreet -- regarding outfits, that sounds good to me.  Also, I was planning on at least three hairstyles.  Regarding the prison outfit, I'm thinking something along the lines of what we see Gamora wearing in GOTG (But probably with short sleeves... that prison yellow color looks good too):

gotg_web1.jpg?itok=8onIPF6C

But with short sleeves similar to this:

prisoner-gamor-costume-242x480.jpg

For the prison outfit... I was thinking of have some sort of "disheveled" pony-tail... kind of like this:

3-a-tousled-pony-620x0-3.jpg

...and here:

Janandboc.jpg

Commando outfit (something like these images):

gamora-concept-art-from-guardians-of-the

But with more of a holstered look (like Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow character shown here):

all-poster-johansson-705.jpg

For the "Commando-Mercenary" hair-style... I'm leaning towards somethings like this picture of Mandy Amano with the Asian "bun/up-do" chopsticks (see her gallery at mandyamano.com.  Plus there's already a similar female hairstyle in-game to start from...):

IMG_6726_zpszr8e8gkf.jpg

Also, one variant will cover what we see in the DF2 game/videos:

kyle-jan.jpg

Feel free to post suggested outfits and hair-styles...

P.S.  ...is her hair long at the very end of the game?  If so, it wouldn't make sense to cut it off short.

Edited by Archangel35757

I like the direction you're taking this. I agree on all points, except with the sleeves on the prison outfit- I think you could probably get away with this though with a surfOff/*off for peeps like me who prefer the sleeveless version. ;)

Some suggestions:

• Probably less cleavage on the commando skin for practicality reasons (Do we use this outfit also on the demo mission? Not something I considered, but perhaps we could do that one too)
  • I think the prison outfit could benefit most from the colors in the first picture. I think the one in the second picture is a little too bright (probably just lighting though)
  • Maybe have some Star-Wars-language (what are those symbols called again? brainfart) along the legs there in black? Just an idea.

Were you planning on the Artus mission having the DF2 clothes, or were you just going to have those for the DF2 mod? (or something)