Jan Ors head (Hi-Def)

So I tried to work on the corners of the lips...

This was my first attempt (wip52c):

lips_52c_zpstywz8g64.jpg

I didn't like it so I went back and tweaked an earlier version (wip52e):

lips_52e_zpsyu4a7sr8.jpg

And here is WIP52e without colored lips:

wip52e_colored_zpsfhexnlx4.jpg

...and I went back and re-worked wip52c (tweaking the corners) and saved it as wip52f here:

lips_52f_zpsabnxyhhj.jpg

@Pysk0Sith -- close enough?

Bek likes this

Much better, give it more of an "M" shape where both lips meet, also the top lip still feels a bit triangular, remember the mouth is O shaped, it could be the shading too that throws the shape off.

Check the ratio between lips too, top lip appears much bigger, but that m shaping of the opening should bring balance back.

M shaped

femalemouthdrawingexample.jpg

Top lip roundness.
lips-wide.jpg

Much better, give it more of an "M" shape where both lips meet, also the top lip still feels a bit triangular, remember the mouth is O shaped, it could be the shading too that throws the shape off.

Check the ratio between lips too, top lip appears much bigger, but that m shaping of the opening should bring balance back.

M shaped

femalemouthdrawingexample.jpg

Top lip roundness:

lips-wide.jpg

Which one do you prefer?  wip52e or wip52f ?   Also, would you sketch (red-line) on my picture to show me how you think the upper-lip "M" contour should go?  Thanks...

-Check the width of the philtrum (circled in red) see how the skin actually has some forms inside the nostrils, i think it's too narrow and being attached to the center of the nose cartilage throws it off.

-The other part is a fleshy bit that everyone has alongside the mouth corners, this could be tricky to achieve on a subd mesh, but usually you can pull verts slightly to get something close. You already have some of it showing in sideview (as demonstrated by Ms. Portman)

ZuCxiBB.jpgOHvsWzs.jpg

-Another part that i think needs some tweaking is the whole portion above the lips, feels like it needs more mass, that part sits on the muscle and top teeth which means it should not sink in as much as it does.

6IFSa5w.png

yeyo JK likes this
  • 1 month later...

So with the version 1.9 dotXSI 3.0 exporters out for beta testing... I'm getting back to Jan Ors... I worked on refining the lips-- the changes are subtle, but IMO better.

JanOrs_wip55_zpss7bbke6s.png

My goal is to have the first hairstyle finished this weekend... and start the process of learning how to re-topologize in 3D-Coat.

Bek likes this

@Cerez... where's my feedback?

Sorry, I haven't been spending much time on here lately.

The hair is looking great, but the nose and the mouth could be positioned a tiny bit higher, giving the surface area of the chin a little more depth to match the reference closer. Measure the distances from chin to lips, and chin to nose in your superb reference shot here:

mandy_amano_wip56b_zpsbazqbc32.png

Their position is a little bit too low to reference on the face currently.

Otherwise looking fabulous. I like her face with the goggles on a lot.

Bek likes this

@@Cerez -- How do we know if she has her teeth together in that photo (...teeth apart but lips still together elongating the chin-- you can lower your jaw quite a lot and keep your lips together)?  We don't...

I based the model on this front view picture...

front_view_wip56h_zpshs5hipez.png

So I think it fits her proportions well... I also compare it to an iso reference image here:

wip56i_iso_wiremesh_zpsldg0zpra.png

I suppose I could go thru the "Golden Ratio" math-- but I just don't have the energy. :(

On another note I watched a hair tutorial where the artist used a gradient ramp to help them align the hair to the flow of the UV templates like so:

gradient_hair_zpscxnmbzi4.png

GPChannel likes this

@@Cerez -- How do we know if she has her teeth together in that photo (...teeth apart but lips still together elongating the chin-- you can lower your jaw quite a lot and keep your lips together)?  We don't...

Yep, we don't. Your best bet is to compare it with a couple of different reference shots, as you've done here -- and it looks like it's fine. We could spend a year refining it, and it would still not match the reference material 100%. We've got to stop somewhere. You have it as close to the real thing as practically possible now, I agree.

It will be interesting to see how the mouth behaves once you start to animate speech and facial expressions. You'll see then whether you've made the right design choices in this first model. Looking forward to seeing it in action. ^_^ Fingers crossed.

@@eezstreet-- are you referring to the mussy ponytail?  Or did one of the reference images confuse you?  I suppose that could be the hair-style used for the prison outfit.  I can also make a clean ponytail...  There were a few hairstyles we discussed.

P.S.- Quotes and multi-quotes don't appear to work on this site for Windows8.1 and IE11.

I hate to hit you with reality; but is this a project to test modelling skills? or will this actually be playable on JO/JA ?

Yes of course... this Hi-Def model would be used to bake normal maps onto a lower resolution mesh. I have to take this hi-poly model into 3D-Coat and retopologize for lower LODs. I'll be posting those updates as well.

z3filus likes this

I must say, the number of female hairstyle tutorials (real hair-- not 3ds Max!) that I've watched on youTube keeps growing... but it gives me ideas and helps me to see how the polygons should flow.

Like these for example...

Anyone know the song that was playing on the one above?  Kind of a catchy tune...

I think I will try to model the look of this last one shown-- the blonde pull-through braid.

Edit:  found the song-- "Won't let this moment pass us by" by Benji Jackson

Edited by Archangel35757