Jan Ors head (Hi-Def)

Nice. Total vert count?

I don't recall... I'll check when I get home this evening. I'm working on the ear (last night & tonight)-- once I finish the ear tonight finishing filling out the face should go quicker.

In the end she will have to be 1000 verts per object... ;) I was planning to follow the JO/JA pattern where the face is detached from the head. Eyes will be separate objects. I'm definitely planning on normal maps... as well as try wrinkle maps. :winkthumb:

Make the lips less pinchy, think of an o shape that maintains curves when folded on itself instead of trianglular. The mesh seems kind of dense, which means too much time wasted tweaking verts, fewer verts mean faster control and less artifacts.

DT. likes this

Make the lips less pinchy, think of an o shape that maintains curves when folded on itself instead of trianglular. The mesh seems kind of dense, which means too much time wasted tweaking verts, fewer verts mean faster control and less artifacts.

Thanks for your input.  I'm just planning to use this hi-density mesh for normal map generation... the mesh will have to be decimated of course to meet the game limits.  LODs are planned as well.

Ok... so the ear is just about finished. I just need to tweak a couple of things in the front view. Here's a screenshot:

jan_ors_progress_zps2d2cf1ae.png

@@eezstreet -- Because you asked...

The ear has 564 (quad) polygons / 581 vertices (So for two ears that comes to 1128 / 1162 ).

The face (in it's current state) has 1548 (quad) polygons / 1692 vertices.

Obviously the mesh will be decimated (for which I plan to use 3D-Coat) to meet the game engine limitations.

The mouth doesn't look right, looking at the front picture.

In the front reference photo she is smiling slightly-- pulling the corners of her mouth back. In the reference side photo her mouth is completely relaxed. So I chose to follow it rather than front pic. Also, when I mirrored the front pic for symmetry it also distorted her upper lip in the middle.

Try this: Look in a mirror... completely relax your face/mouth-- then tell me that your mouth/lips also have a slight downward curve, yeah?

In the front reference photo she is smiling slightly-- pulling the corners of her mouth back. In the reference side photo her mouth is completely relaxed. So I chose to follow it rather than front pic. Also, when I mirrored the front pic for symmetry it also distorted her upper lip in the middle.

Try this: Look in a mirror... completely relax your face/mouth-- then tell me that your mouth/lips also have a slight downward curve, yeah?

Not like that, no

So here's a quick update:

jan_head_front_wip8-30_zpsf5405596.png

I attached the lips to the face mesh and worked on blending them in a little better... I still need to tweak around corners of mouth and "smile line" ...also I think her chin is a bit too squarish at the moment-- need to soften it up a little.

Disregard the wierd polys you see on the innermost part of her ear... those are internal to the ear and won't bee seen when the face is properly attached to perimeter of ear.

Boothand, DT., DarthStiv and 3 others like this
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...