Ice Station Wampa

Well, we figured out why the phong shaders would not work. GTK Radiant 1.4 's version of Q3Map2 won't compile them!! At least for me they don't. I don't like 1.5 much and I'm comfortable with 1.4 so I'm going to use 1.5 version of Q3Map2 for my compilings and edit in 1.4.

Here is a shot of of level the firsts outdoor area with the shader used on the sand pile. Kinda breaks up the sandyness. 

shot0001.jpg

Edited by IrocJeff

GTK Radiant does not compile your map, q3map2.exe does

Im assuming you did add your custom shader to shaderlist.txt

I'd recommend downloading the newest q3map2 and using a frontend like q3map2toolz to compile your maps!

See here ---->  http://jkhub.org/files/file/1335-q3map2-2gb-memory-usage/

Also, you should definitely blend your horizon to the sky in the outdoor desert scene

See here -----> http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/89-horizon-blending/

I edited my post so now it's accurate....

At any rate, what's the deal with setting up those programs? I downloaded the Toolz one and its just the application. There is no readme or anything so does this just go into any directory I want?

q3map2 has info in the "readme_previous" that is confusing. I made a q3map2 folder fine at  E:Games/JediOutcast/Radiant1.4/Q3map2.

Now, my common.shader does not have common/terrain or common/terrain2 there. I'm assuming that's for Wolfenstein and I don't have to do this.

If I do, where do I get these shaders from?

Then the q3map and cel shader are in the Extras folder. So, that should be easy to do.

Is this all there is to getting this going? 

For the frontends, you can extract q3map2 files to any folder you want, just point the frontend to that directory. Change common/caulk to system/caulk and common/terrain to system/terrain.

The frontend itself can also be extracted (gui) or installed (toolz) into any folder of your choosing, just make sure all the files go in the same folder.

And thats it

For the frontends, you can extract q3map2 files to any folder you want, just point the frontend to that directory. Change common/caulk to system/caulk and common/terrain to system/terrain.

The frontend itself can also be extracted (gui) or installed (toolz) into any folder of your choosing, just make sure all the files go in the same folder.

And thats it

SOooo, I install the toolz wherever I want. Then, I put q3map2 anywhere I want, as long as the toolz portion points to that file. Finally, I rename those two shaders only?

For character... mmm, why not Lando Carlissian? I never see a mdo with lando as main char. :)

For level, pretty good! nice work! :D

I love the atmosphere, remember metal gear. :)

Well, you are not going to see Lando here, either.  :P

I really wanted to replace Kyle but I kinda need him or else my story won't be the same. I do need help from someone who's familiar with scripting and animation THAT CAN KEEP THEIR MOUTH SHUT to help me out when I get to that part, though. I don't want my ending being leaked.  :D

I'm glad you like it so far. I'm really loving the rock walls. I have a hallway in the next room with 4 big windows that overlook part of the factory floor. It looks like a Kejim hallway with one side rock wall the other that standard wall texture. The clean, sterile Imperial textures mesh well with rock. 

The cafeteria is next on the list for areas of interest. I'm thinking it needs a pool table B)

Doing pretty well on the Imperial Base level. After building two maps I found that I'm more productive when I make rooms, light it, and give it its basic design. So, these are pretty bare but I'll have more stuff in them in the future.

shot0004_zps2d04fd67.jpg

Pretty much just wanted to save time so I opened up Kejim and followed some of that design. I don't think my hall's are as tall but I used a similar texture scheme and design. The metal in the rock will be windows and you'll see part of the drug lab down there when it gets built. 

shot0005_zpsed236d96.jpg

Here is a narrower, darker hallway. I've been trying to do more in terms of transitional areas between main points of interest for better design purposes, when possible.

shot0010_zps73e6f5c9.jpg

...and then I get to the cafeteria area and I CAN'T seem to get it right until I build the detail first and then build the room around it. I tried to make an arcade game and I used dimensions from people building their own home cabinet so I got something pretty accurate in terms of size. Same with the chairs. I found dimensions for cafeteria chairs and stayed around those and they turned out pretty good. I'm going to modify and re-texture them for desk chairs. 

Behind the arcade machines on the  wall i'm going to put in a bank of video poker machines. I think this cafeteria is going to be Chinese food so i may tinker with Imperial Dragon for its name.. get it... Imperial Dragon. I already have some items up on the images above the closed cafteria line. Need to add more cafeteria stuff and redesign and re-texture the ceiling but this was just a test compile, really.

therfiles and z3filus like this

I can keep my mouth shut too. So send me a pm with questions.

Though jkhub is now blocked at work so I'll only be checking Thursday nights and some weekends.

Only thing is I don't do cutscene animations. Tried once. Fell to the Dark Side. Bad Times.

Any gameplay focused animations I'll see what I can do.

There is lighting there but no light sources. FIXMEPLZ

Those images were just to show the machines..Here are better ones.

shot0017_zps3793eb0f.jpg

I added a Double Dragon and Mortal Kombat game in there since my token machine didn't work out to well. 

shot0014_zps58de8243.jpg

I still have to add the table legs since I totally forgot them. Going to put in some tv's on the wall and figure out a better sign. I decided on Emperor's Wok. Sign says Hunan, Cantonese, Szechuan,   Dine in or take-out,  Phone# KL5-5555. I may just go with a longer text sign above the yellow lights and put in two more menu item images.

shot0019_zpsfda75189.jpg

Here's a closeup of the soda fountain and some models from Nar Shaddaa.  All I really need to do is find a tray model and some silver ware models and I'll be set.

I'm still messing around with some textures and stuff for the trim around the serving windows but I'll take that stuff up later on. I'm starting the labs floor now which is a smallish area before you get to the production floor. 

shot0022_zps5bf33e32.jpg

Played a bit too much Doom 3 for some design ideas and ended up making a room that looks better going to a reactor then a drug lab, so, guess I'm going to make a small reactor area. I wasn't planning on it but I've gotten inspired. The pipe is actually my first ever homemade texture. I picked a light blue color in The Gimp and added some noise and I made a pipe texture. 

shot0028_zpsd620f53e.jpg

Decided to 86 the rotating stuff and go simple. I made rock walls and cut out two walls and put in a hallway. I'm thinking of adding more pipes below the reactor and having the player navigate down around the reactor structure to get to another area. 

shot0030_zps5136fedb.jpg

I always loved in HL2 how they did power cables so I decided to try and add them here. It worked out pretty well. All they are are cylinders cut down til they are V-shaved and then I used the solid color textures on them. Hides the shape well with solid textures. 

therfiles likes this

They don't look good in black, that's for sure. The lights for test purposes I have are set at 500 or 600 I think so they make them look a bit brighter. I thought it gave a nice contrast the to drab Imperial textures.

I'll darken up a bit the stock color textures and post more pics from the same location.