Ice Station Wampa

If you feel like using any of these textures, feel free! No need for them to stay in limbo for years until I can release maps with them myself anyway :P

http://jkhub.org/topic/3429-some-mapping-textures-im-working-on/

Oh thanks!! I really like the ceiling tile texture. That one is pretty useful for me. Same with the narrow brick one. I'll have to test out the latter when I light and compile the areas I'm in now. My current brick texture is seamless, but a bit off in the horizontal grout lines.

Boothand likes this

Some new stuff.

shot0169_zpsb936483a.jpg

This is a small storage room that has a stairwell down the middle behind the chain link. There is a small service elevator that goes down the middle of the shaft as well. Its just for show, it doesn't really run.

shot0173_zps067b1742.jpg

Here are the beer vats. There are 3 in total all interconnected with pipes and other plumbing things. I actually build the vats and pipes months ago and just plopped it into this room. You, the player, won't be able to walk around in there. The view here is from the hallway off the room itself. I'm going to have the NPC Prisoners working consoles and walking around in this room. They are, as per the story, under the influence of a mind drug, which the player will find out about beforehand. I'm still trying to get that copper texture a bit more metallic. I was able to use @Boothand's brick wall texture on the wall in this room.

shot0176_zps8f641565.jpg

Here is the new striped wall texture as well as a cinderblock texture above it. I think I got them both from Texturemate.com, although I added the stripe to the wall. Made a green one, too. 

Barricade24 and Boothand like this

Have been doing well on getting some more areas near finished. I modified the bump-floor texture from Nar Shaddaa I think by tiling it smaller and it made a neat treadmill-like texture. I turned this into a shader so I have a working conveyor belt in looks only so far. Trying to work my way from storage areas to the bottling line/filling line to the big vats and stuff in terms of room progression. Most of the storage is done less some detail, sound, and NPC's.  

shot0150_zpsa046984d.jpg

Here's a shot of one of the storage rooms off the barrel aging room. @Pande once again has another model he's given me in this shot with the wood pallets. I have I think 8 models he sent and I only have to use the beanbag chairs and the leather armchair and then I've gotten them all into the game. 

If you notice the beer cases I modified a Pabst Blue Ribbon case image and turned it into Palp's for Palpatine.  The red lettering in the lower left says " A Product of Imperial Brewery".  The upper right says 18 40oz bottles. I used the wine bottles from Nar Shaddaa models list as a reference. So, the Emperor like's 40's.. hehehe. 

shot0146_zps82f12c53.jpg

Here is an L shaped room off the room above. Here you can see the conveyor belt for large pallets on the left.  By the crosshair is a raised platform where you will open the hatches in each room the conveyor belt goes through as well as turn the belt on itself. You'll ride this to a certain point.

Hah. "Palp's Blue Ribbon". I love it. XD

Hah. "Palp's Blue Ribbon". I love it. XD

Yeah, clever, eh! That case logo as well as the bottle logo @Circa did for me was about the easiest logo to change and have it work into Star Wars somehow. I spent a ton of time looking at beer logos and that just stuck out at me.  

Circa likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

Still working on the brewery part. Ran into some shader issues that finally got figured out as well as finally figuring out the path for the player to follow. Also figured out how to work in one of those 2 legged droids that look like ED 209 from Robocop. I'll be walking across a bridge over a chasm while you are inside a ductowrk and look out over the room. Its one of those " you can see the room but cannot get there " room. 

The below image is a computer terminal in the newly designed beer vat storage area. The computer is in the support pillar. The two images on the screens are a Logon Screen as well as something I whipped up quickly in Paint.net. Each vat has a computer and each computer shows how filled each vat is. 

shot0185_zpsdc937abd.jpg

This room is where the 5 large beer vats are. Pipes travel from behind the chainlink within the pillar to the top of each beer vat. The room looks the same on the other side of the vats where the computers are except that the pillars don't have pipes running up through them. At the end of this room at the 5th vat there is a ladder that will take you up to the catwalk where you'll travel back across the top of the vats to the next room.  

shot0184_zps8b190c39.jpg

Boothand and Barricade24 like this

Here is a shot from the top catwalk which is a bit brighter in game. 

You can see the pipes coming up from the support pillars on the right into the vats. That's actually a red painted metal texture I found last night. Looks really good up close. I'm now in the process of adding in pressure gauges to each "fitting" where the pipes enter that grey coller thing. On the left side I'm probably going to make some sort of access hatch and put that on the left side of the cat walk on the vat to use up some of that space.

The roundish lights are just cylinders moved around with the vertex tool to get a bell shape. The white part is actually made up of a capped cylinder and a 4 unit tall cylinder. On the cap cylinder is a custom flat white original game shader with a 30,000 surface light value while the 4 unit high side texture has the same shader with a 12,000 on the surface light value. 

shot0190_zpsf23b58d5.jpg

Barricade24 and Boothand like this

The brick is 1024x1024 scaled to .1200 x.1200 in game. The part i changed over the crosshair I scaled down to .0800 x.0800. 

Or, do you mean the plaster white texture. That is 1024x1024 but I didn't change that in game? Is that the one?

shot0194_zps60936157.jpg

Nice!

Perhaps reduce the scale of the wall concrete-ish texture just a tiny bit? (Or find one with higher resolution)

Refer to my previous post about the change to the texture. I goofed up my posting order here..

Ahem.. here is the hatch I made

shot0193_zps5c2cfc18.jpg

Boothand likes this

I feel like it is a great outline for the map so far IrocJeff, but if you want things to look a bit more complete you may want to consider adding more "noise"/"detail" to the basic stuff you got outlined so far.  eg: more detailed textures, additional shaders, models, 'realistic' piping/electrical utilities etc...

Right now it just looks a bit incomplete for it, if you want inspiration try looking at what Szico does with his maps.

JKG Developer

I feel like it is a great outline for the map so far IrocJeff, but if you want things to look a bit more complete you may want to consider adding more "noise"/"detail" to the basic stuff you got outlined so far.  eg: more detailed textures, additional shaders, models, 'realistic' piping/electrical utilities etc...

Right now it just looks a bit incomplete for it, if you want inspiration try looking at what Szico does with his maps.

Well, right now I'm just going through this map and getting the jist of it done and more detail will be added in after the first run is all complete. Also, I really don't know how to make shaders too well nor do I know how to model stuff so I'm doing the best I can on that front. 

Futuza likes this

Finally got the layout and main stuff done in the brewery section. Now, due to my story this is a microbrewery. This isn't Coors or some other large brewery shipping 2 million cans a day. They are just trying to kill the Emperor at his Emperor's Day Celebration. 

Its a bit overlit and not all done yet but its good enough to post. Just below the crosshair is going to the bright light "mouse checking" station on the line. I'm also planning on stacking pallets, boxes, and other stuff along two of the fence rows to break up the fenceiness of it all. 

shot0198_zps1243bfc4.jpg

Pipe texture is just some rust texture which I'm trying to get to shiny copper or stainless so send whatever you've got. Two are going to the bottle filler machine and the other is a water pipe going to bottle making machine. 

shot0197_zpse8ce770d.jpg

This is a bit up in the air but it gives you the shot of the packaging machine in the middle and the lower part of the bottle making machine on the left. The finished cases of Palp's Blue Ribbon will travel from the packaging machine along the conveyor belt to the left.

shot0200_zps3614cfa5.jpg

Here is part of the packaging machine where the unfolded cardboard boxes are loaded. Its got the cut and stuff where the folds go and everything. 

shot0202_zps44e40474.jpg

This shot pretty much shows the path the player will take. The dark right top corner is where the player drops from the air duct. The player then follows the outer wall around all the machines and fencing to get to the inner part of the room. You'll actually exit just to the right of the crosshair between the two fences where a door will be put in.

The machine below the player in this image is the machine that actually makes the bottles. Blocks of glass will follow the conveyor belt on the right into the machine and glass bottles spit out the lower end. I'm also going to put two steam pipes on that flat spot and have steam shooting out of them randomly as the bottles cool.

The player will also be able to access these machines just as you can read e-mails or other messages throughout this complex. Each machine will have a screen you can find out more information on what it does or maybe I'll be a welcome screen for the "Wino Industries Micro-Brew Jr. Complete Brewing System". Well, you already know that's what one is going to be about. :winkthumb: 

I'm going to have slave labor in here as well running these machines, also. They are under the influence of the mind control in the beer so they'll just stand around and watch bottles for mice ( not built yet) or at the machines doing something.

All I have to do is make an elevator in another room and this map will be completed as far as all the rooms and layout is concerned. Have to go through and add stuff to each room and then npc's and stuff. 

If anyone has any models, textures, or anything else that may fit  I'll gladly take any donations. 

I may take a look at the forklift but I already made a hovering Reach Truck early on as a test that I plan on remaking a bit better. Similar to something like this it is.  It fits better with the narrow design's I've made just as in real life those machines are designed for narrow areas.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnumlifttrucks.com%2Fused-forklifts&h=0&w=0&tbnid=lTUsVpXynqazNM&zoom=1&tbnh=259&tbnw=194&docid=5GMcZgYnxn05XM&tbm=isch&ei=LXgDVKntFtHHggS91oGgCA&ved=0CAgQsCUoAg

I'm actually pretty happy with some of that furniture and stuff. My Commander's Quarters section is going to be a bit eccentric. I want to have an art collection, some statues.. Make it like something a Bond villain from the 60's would have.

Thanks for posting that link.

Finally got the view problem fixed from the multiple chain link walls that were up. It just didn't look right in game so I replaced a few with solid walls and added in some racking which is pretty cool and fills in the entire middle of the room well. All new textures for everything in the racking except for the dark gray ends of the beam, that's a stock one.

shot0206_zps8b18f2eb.jpg

Omicron, Onysfx and Boothand like this

Finally getting out of the brewery and am now into Commander's living/personal area. I'm starting with a room that is basically an art collection. I figured that every eccentric rogue officer should have some sort of collection. I found this design from a real museum and just modified it to my needs. I'm not happy about the ceiling lights but those'll change.

shot0210_zpse546c5e3.jpg

This is the center of the room that will have mostly small pictures and objects. Don't know what yet but maybe some ancient tablets or weapons or stuff. Going to have some glass cases and stuff, too.

shot0211_zps6196756a.jpg

Here is the outside of the room which is mirrored on the other side. On each pillar I have some portraits. Now, there isn't really too much Star Wars related artwork, so, I really lucked out when I found that The National Gallery of Art has TONS of free use images on their website. 

If anyone has a good light shader post it up for the ceiling lights. I'm not happy with the stock ones here.

Boothand likes this

http://theinspirationgrid.com/star-wars-paintings-by-christian-waggoner/

http://media.moddb.com/images/articles/1/166/165663/auto/Dark_Vilains_SWGTCG_2.JPG

or you could use some photoshop filters,some color grading and a bit of painting to make screencaps look like paintings

here's a quick 5 minute example, might have to add another levels adjustment layer ontop here to brighten the final image

and tweak the color grading some more until i'm happy with this

Before                                                                               After

2PBN0Iy.jpguTXlLe0.png

EDIT : I think I like this, feel free to use it, but remember to rescale it to fit JKA power of 2 textures , it's currently 680x1024, I'd add a frame and scale it to 1024x1024, using the "Nearest Neighbor" scale option in Photoshop

iDUPBdV.png

if you want to know my workflow for this let me know ;)

Onysfx likes this

Maybe you could use gradient spot lights somewhere. I made a shader for a slightly flickering spotlight once if you're interested.

I could make a statue/sculpture if you feel that fits the art collection. (If so, what kind?)

Yeah, post it up or send it to me in PM, either way. JO has very little in terms of light shaders.

If you feel up to it I'll take anything you can think of. I'm not in a hurry so don't make it a priority. 

http://theinspirationgrid.com/star-wars-paintings-by-christian-waggoner/

http://media.moddb.com/images/articles/1/166/165663/auto/Dark_Vilains_SWGTCG_2.JPG

or you could use some photoshop filters,some color grading and a bit of painting to make screencaps look like paintings

here's a quick 5 minute example, might have to add another levels adjustment layer ontop here to brighten the final image

and tweak the color grading some more until i'm happy with this

Before                                                                               After

2PBN0Iy.jpguTXlLe0.png

EDIT : I think I like this, feel free to use it, but remember to rescale it to fit JKA power of 2 textures , it's currently 680x1024, I'd add a frame and scale it to 1024x1024, using the "Nearest Neighbor" scale option in Photoshop

iDUPBdV.png

if you want to know my workflow for this let me know ;)

I may use this. Story wise I'm not sure a portrait of the Emperor is something this guy would want since he is trying to assassinate him but you never know! 

That is a good idea about the screen captures and stuff. I don't have Photoshop but I'm sure I can find a Gimp tutorial on it. 

Boothand and AshuraDX like this