Star Wars Rebels

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

These rebels sure don't care about piling up a bodycount!

That was exactly my thought. I was surprised to see him blast those troopers like that. :P 

Too fucking childish.

Well, that's kinda the point though. Yeah I'd like for it to be a real Star Wars TV show for adults, but this is airing on Disney channel for a reason. Just be glad they're finally putting something good on for kids to watch on there. :lol:

DT. likes this

Those stormtroopers looks ridiculous! 

starwarsrebelsvillainsmall.jpg

This is why I hate the animation designs. But the Clones in Clone Wars looked amazing compared to this. COME ON.

Also what's with that saberstaff? That circle around the handle would make it terribly inefficient to use...

And "The Inquisitor"? Really?? That's not the same of a sith.

The change in animation style is interesting, considering the way I hear it, they kept most of (if not the entire) team from Star Wars: The Clone Wars for this.

That'll have to do with the new direction coming from Disney. I must say I honestly cringe from this new series. It's an awful insult on so many levels.

After the advanced themes and stylised designs developed for the Clone Wars, now we're going two steps back to a childish story with simple, childish visuals. I think this will be a show for children, and children only.

Seeing how they're twisting the story and characters here to suit a particular agenda and audience makes me really worried for what Disney will decide to do with the new Star Wars movies… :/

EDIT: Although, it's nothing that George Lucas hasn't already done with the new trilogy compared to the (unaltered) original.

BruceJohnJenner likes this
Well, that's kinda the point though. Yeah I'd like for it to be a real Star Wars TV show for adults, but this is airing on Disney channel for a reason. Just be glad they're finally putting something good on for kids to watch on there. :lol:

I'd rather not have any Star Wars shows meant for children specifically.

Bek, BruceJohnJenner and Cerez like this

That'll have to do with the new direction coming from Disney. I must say I honestly cringe from this new series. It's an awful insult on so many levels.

After the advanced themes and stylised designs developed for the Clone Wars, now we're going two steps back to a childish story with simple, childish visuals. I think this will be a show for children, and children only.

Seeing how they're twisting the story and characters here to suit a particular agenda and audience makes me really worried for what Disney will decide to do with the new Star Wars movies… :/

EDIT: Although, it's nothing that George Lucas hasn't already done with the new trilogy compared to the (unaltered) original.

My point was that typically animators have very established styles. And while yes, Disney gives the final say, the animation studios Art department would still have been the ones to create this style. Which if what I said is true, and much of the team is the same, is surprisingly jarring.

We must be frank: Star Wars is a franchise which lives upon the shoulders of many generations - from 4-year-old boys (anf girls) to 90-year-old people. The majority is no doubt - the younger audience. But surely there is an older part of fans, which were children during Episodes IV-VI. The times have changed and the traditions and style as well. Some things can no longer work the way they did with us, the older generation.

Star Wars Rebels was from the start announced as an animated series. If so, we can't expect some seriousness here... If they wanted seriousness they would have made a TV series with real actors. But it would require more time, money and is far more risky, if something happens. A lot of such shows have already been closed even being at its peak of popularity - like Firefly and V (2009). Fans asked to continue them, but to no avail.

So I guess Rebels is a choice to create something notable (or less notable), but still having the feel of Star Wars, but not risking to ruin everything completely.

I would give the series a chance. Even Episode V irritated for certain reasons a lot of fans back in 1980s (believe or not, nobody cares now, as there other things to "hate", and a variety of choice in this sense). Then Episode VI came. I see the same pattern here: The Clone Wars are terrible, very terrible. Oh wait, they are not that bad, because we've seen 7 minutes of Star Wars Rebels!

These seven minutes of Rebels show quite some things, which make it outstanding in contrast to Clone Wars. Do you remember the first episode of Clone Wars? We had just a planet with some corals, toydarians, clones, Yoda, Ventress and droids. What do we see here? A large city, different buildings, lot of Aurekbesh posters here and there, minor details like pipes, furniture, boxes, etc in the streets. We don't have just stormtroopers, we also have Imperial officers, which actually look different (not a retexture, but a new model, with different faces, noses, eye color, even voices). Then we have ugnaughts, gotals, rodians, ithorians and different humans in the background. There is also no problem with sound and music. 

The series will be childish in any case - the authors were greatly inspired by Hayao Miyazaki, who brought to us quite a lot of very good stories, nicely done both in plot and style and illustration. Some of his traits are seen even here in a small trailer.

Even if the series proves to be bad (whatever), the whole franchise is as good as it is - I ignore the stories I dislike and everything comes to its place. :)

therfiles likes this

My point was that typically animators have very established styles. And while yes, Disney gives the final say, the animation studios Art department would still have been the ones to create this style. Which if what I said is true, and much of the team is the same, is surprisingly jarring.

Well, yes and no, because the animation director co-ordinates the visualisation process, and s/he is following direction from the director of the series, who in turn follows direction from the producers, who are Disney employees. So at the end if the day the one who invests money in the series is the one who decides how the series will look. If they say make it more childish, that's what the animation department will have to deal with.

We must be frank: Star Wars is a franchise which lives upon the shoulders of many generations - from 4-year-old boys (anf girls) to 90-year-old people. The majority is no doubt - the younger audience. But surely there is an older part of fans, which were children during Episodes IV-VI. The times have changed and the traditions and style as well. Some things can no longer work the way they did with us, the older generation.

I would give the series a chance. Even Episode V irritated for certain reasons a lot of fans back in 1980s (believe or not, nobody cares now, as there other things to "hate", and a variety of choice in this sense). Then Episode VI came. I see the same pattern here: The Clone Wars are terrible, very terrible. Oh wait, they are not that bad, because we've seen 7 minutes of Star Wars Rebels!

The series will be childish in any case - the authors were greatly inspired by Hayao Miyazaki, who brought to us quite a lot of very good stories, nicely done both in plot and style and illustration. Some of his traits are seen even here in a small trailer.

Even if the series proves to be bad (whatever), the whole franchise is as good as it is - I ignore the stories I dislike and everything comes to its place. :)

That's a very interesting insight, NumberWan. I actually really like your trail of thought here. I wonder if this is because the stories keep getting worse or because people need time to adjust to new stories? I suppose it's the latter.

I wasn't around in the 80s, but it's very interesting that The Empire Strikes Back was deemed not as good as A New Hope back then. It probably has to do with the whole "sequels are not as good as the original" concept. How was Return of the Jedi received when it first came out?

This looks much more promising than The Clone Wars did, in my opinion. It looks less childish to me. The design looks the same for the most part.

As a die-hard Clone Wars series fan I must protest. CW had a highly distinct visual style focused on simplicity, but the level of detail and representation was carefully thought out. Rebels is a much too stripped down version of the CW style that looks more like a regular cheap kids' Saturday cartoon than something that was given serious thought.

rebelsvscw.jpg

Sithani and BruceJohnJenner like this

Well, yes and no, because the animation director co-ordinates the visualisation process, and s/he is following direction from the director of the series, who in turn follows direction from the producers, who are Disney employees. So at the end if the day the one who invests money in the series is the one who decides how the series will look. If they say make it more childish, that's what the animation department will have to deal with.

Like I said, Disney does have the final say.  But when all this started one of two things likely happened.  Either the artists where given a basic idea of the project and came up with a selection of styles and designs that eventually led to this, OR they were provided with a direction in the form of some written style document.  The latter seems highly unlikely as typically a style is established after numerous concepts.  While you would be almost guaranteed to see visual differences in the two shows regardless if the same team created them, you would be far more likely to see resemblances in the designs.  To be honest it looks like someone started off with a model that was very much in the Clone Wars style, and then just hit the smooth tool in Maya one too many times.

more like a regular cheap kids' Saturday cartoon

And there we find the root of the issue.  Likely this was the very reason this series was even envisioned.  Let's be honest, particularly towards the later seasons, TCW had started getting a lot darker.  Not a bad thing necessarily, but also not really Saturday morning cartoon material either.

And there we find the root of the issue.  Likely this was the very reason this series was even envisioned.  Let's be honest, particularly towards the later seasons, TCW had started getting a lot darker.  Not a bad thing necessarily, but also not really Saturday morning cartoon material either.

That's true. But I liked it that way. The overall themes in Star Wars are not for kids anyway. They are much too suggestive and adult in concept.

BruceJohnJenner and NumberWan like this

Regardless about nitpicking animation styles and how Disney is or isn't screwing it up if you were to just show this video with no title and no description it still feels like Star Wars to me because of the sounds. I can tell I'm somewhere in the Star Wars universe and its familiar. Also, if you take a look at the linked video after the one @Circa posted, here, its even better than the teaser, and, remind me much more of the old trilogy. I'm really impressed overall. This is the same company that did the Gummi Bears after all. That was one of the best made cartoons ever.

http://youtu.be/JYkXif5Q2mA

Circa likes this

Personally, I don't mind the new cartoonish style at all. Look at Zelda Wind Waker for instance, the game was quite dark despite the toon graphic style.

The only thing that disappointed me was the script. Far too generic. FAR TOO GENERIC. But perhaps it will get better. Hopefully.

And I would really like to see some in depth stories of the stormtroopers. That would be nice.