Star Wars Rebels

I did see this...not impressed. I hate teasers that don't tease lol.

Please no. Forget TFU and erase it from the archives. Please. I beg you Disney. Redemption!

Hating on TFU eh? Well, look at it this way: Star Wars Rebels is another way of fucking up the story like TFU.

SHUT UP ABOUT IT ALREADY...

@@hleV

Speaking of TFU - I expected a lot from that game, but it was nothing even close to what it could be. Enough to say, that it was a big talk only during its time... Take KOTOR for instance - the game is a legend and a story loved by fans even a decade later (though TFU is admired as well, but not to the same scale). So "to whom how" and "from a certain point of view".

Saying that Rebels is bad - too simple. It's not enough as an argument at all (obviously). One reason is - clearly - that the show has just begun. We must at least watch one season to say anything quite specific about it. For now I posted before - why I like the Rebels as a Star Wars fan and more as an old Star Wars fan. It's my habit to analyze every Star Wars story I come across. I already said, why the show is good (in short - it follows the patterns of the Original Trilogy, most designs - ships, structures, clothes, tech - are derived either from OT or the unused concept artist Ralph McQuarrie, the music, etc). Just like with any thing, I mentioned the negative sides here as well. So please elaborate on what is truly bad about the two (three) episodes already released.

It would be only fair.

@@Circa

Actually people do complain. But for now I don't see anything in Rebels, which would contradict the already established Dark Forces, Jedi Outcast, Shadows of the Empire. =) Perhaps it will be otherwise later, but for now...

That post is over a year old. No need to get mad about repeat complaints when it really isn't one.

Also, TFU is not canon. Rebels is. Nobody complains about it anymore anyway.

Oops... wasn't paying attention to the posted date. My bad.

@@hleV

Speaking of TFU - I expected a lot from that game, but it was nothing even close to what it could be. Enough to say, that it was a big talk only during its time... Take KOTOR for instance - the game is a legend and a story loved by fans even a decade later (though TFU is admired as well, but not to the same scale). So "to whom how" and "from a certain point of view".

Saying that Rebels is bad - too simple. It's not enough as an argument at all (obviously). One reason is - clearly - that the show has just begun. We must at least watch one season to say anything quite specific about it. For now I posted before - why I like the Rebels as a Star Wars fan and more as an old Star Wars fan. It's my habit to analyze every Star Wars story I come across. I already said, why the show is good (in short - it follows the patterns of the Original Trilogy, most designs - ships, structures, clothes, tech - are derived either from OT or the unused concept artist Ralph McQuarrie, the music, etc). Just like with any thing, I mentioned the negative sides here as well. So please elaborate on what is truly bad about the two (three) episodes already released.

It would be only fair.

"Fuck the shitty plot, it has Original Trilogy designs!"

No.

I already made the mistake of watching TCW till the end expecting something good, even though I've seen how bad it is from the first episodes and that opinion never changed.

@@hleV

Still elaborate please. Because for the most part "It's bad because I tried" or "It's bad because it has bad plot" (bad lines, bad characters, etc).

I didn't like CW at all at first, When I watched the movie, I was like "Hey, what was that about?" I still believe it's quite dubious to see that the whole story evolved around attack on Christophsis and then the kidnapping of Jabba's son (another strange detail). We see Ventress, okey, but overall this was a very weak experiment. For the most part the whole Season 1 was like that. I also agree on the point with some people, that TCW rewrote a lot of previously established stuff (like deaths of some Jedi, or conflicts, tech, etc). Some would argue that the show is childish, but there are episodes with deep thoughts on certain phenomena like war, friendship, trust and "what is must be done and what is right"... I won't mention the episodes themselves, but there are things like this.

As for design - don't be too harsh. Star Wars have been forever and will ever be more than just a plot or effect. It is also an idea (which is not the plot surely), the dramatic effect, the design (whatever anyone says, but it's a large work of artists in fashion, architecture, industrial design, etc), music and the work of the actors.

With Rebels we must admit, that it's an animated series. If so, then it can't be for adults only. We'll need real actors for that, however it would require additional resources and surely a balance in rates on TV. If one such season would fail, we would never see any series at all. The franchise (any actually) however can't survive at the level of its previous popularity solely through comics or toys (other such media). Even video games and books won't allow it to stay. So the element of childish stuff can't be removed here.

If we take aside the childish thing, what else would you call as a negative side of the show?

For me it's certain animation. I can't say specific criticism of the plot for now, except maybe for episode with the droids. For it was unclear to see why would they add this story in the beginning (but I suppose they will explain it in later episode).

Also as I said before - I like the fact, that Rebels do not contradict my favourite Dark Forces. 

It's a kids' show set in Star Wars universe. It doesn't seem to be trying to apeal to adults at all, so it's natural that it sucks from an adult's perspective. If you think that it's good only because it's Star Wars (and due to certain things it doesn't do, like not contradicting DF), you're just lying to yourself. Plot is easily the most important thing. If it sucks for me, then I couldn't care less about the rest.

Nobody would like Rebels if it didn't have "Star Wars" in its name and all Star Wars-related stuff was replaced with something else.

@@hleV

Actually I am not. I would like to see a lot of familiar things from Star Wars - the traditions, the feel in new stories. It's what lacked somehow in other newer sources of SW, but Rebels do have them in mind and have already added these into the first episode. I wouldn't say the same about the second one, as it is based on a different aspects (or so it seems), like humour. So no lying here. 

I do strongly believe, that every Star Wars story, including TFU, has genuine patterns of Star Wars ideal. I mean, that some things in the Galaxy are indisputable, and in Rebels (well, in the first 50 minutes of the show) I saw these. I also compare the feel - when I played Dark Forces back in 1990s and when I watched certain scenes in "Spark".

No doubt, I definitely wouldn't like to see Death Star plans stolen by a new character, including Ezra, thus rewriting the story of Kyle Katarn (which has already been done with Lethal Alliance). But I guess there are things, which would satisfy me as a fan nonetheless.

I also wouldn't agree, that every kids show wouldn't have to do anything with adults. I watched through several series, including the ones from 1990s and from different parts of the world. Take Hayao Miyazaki for instance. Are his animations childish? But are they for adults? I think you can't say for certain yes or no... But some people don't like or adore his works not for being either.

If Rebels were called otherwise than Star Wars, lots of other things would have been removed from there as well. Even so it could still boast popularity (there are lots of others, loved with fans like Mass Effect, or less famous - Remember Me). But it's not the name, that makes it SW.

Do you think, that a show would be better if it were made like Heavy Metal in 1981? I can imagine what it would like. I mean, yes, why not? 

Or would you insist, that if Rebels were real-life actors show, the plot would be naturally corrected to be not as childish? Star Trek Next Generation proved to be quite the show by the end...

Just watched the Fighter Flight. It's far more enjoyable, than Episode 2. Yes that one had the familiar duo of droids, but that's it. This one seemed to be very silly at first, but I like the way they present another side of the Empire. It would be nice to see more familiar faces, like the Emperor, even via a hologram. Though it's most likely Palpatine doesn't show his face too much these days.

Just watched the Fighter Flight. It's far more enjoyable, than Episode 2. Yes that one had the familiar duo of droids, but that's it. This one seemed to be very silly at first, but I like the way they present another side of the Empire. It would be nice to see more familiar faces, like the Emperor, even via a hologram. Though it's most likely Palpatine doesn't show his face too much these days.

I caught this one last weekend online and really enjoyed it. It actually reminded me quite a bit like Futurama with Leela telling Fry and Bender what they have to do on a delivery. I'm actually quite ok with the way things are going where we aren't seeing familiar faces. I'm getting used to all these characters now and don't want to see a "familiar blast from the past" in each episode. 

@, I'm sorry, but... do you really feel that way? ._.

Compare TCW Seasons 3-6 to Rebels. And if you saw the latest Rebels episode with Ezra and Zeb teaming up you may find your view to be different.

well, that's true. I was able to make it through a few more of the latter episodes of CW compared to the earlier ones. The Ezra/Zeb episode didn't feel as mature as the preceding ones did... But over all, in general, we should be able to enjoy all of them. It's such a rich universe and they all have good contributions even if tone is a bit slap dash. I'd just love to see any mods made from either series.

It has more adult appeal to me than Clone Wars did

I have watched the 3 episodes of SWR and can safely claim that you're wrong. SWR is the usual "a group of people going through random adventures" seen in so many god damn children shows. And it does it just as childishly. Two people on the group not being on very good terms until they find friendship by rescuing each other? C'mon, we've seen that a hundred times. TCW sucked, but at least it was based on something Star Wars-specific - the Clone Wars.

Jeff and Sithani like this

This recent episode with the Inquisitor was probably one of the better episodes so far. However I am quite disappointed as to how toned down the Empire is. Right now they seem to be just shown as bullies that try to do bad stuff but never really do anything that makes you cringe. I believe it was said that Rebels was going to get darker but for right now it hasn't really gotten to quite the point where it satisfies what I am looking for.

therfiles likes this