Circa

@@ChalklYne

your textures could use some more detail

some pieces look  noisy and crisp sharp while others are just a blurry mess

you shouldtone down the bevels or atleast their brightness for the engraved pieces their highlights are just to damn bright

and it's to flashy/over saturated for my taste but that's just me

I'm digging the general style of that hilt model though

SOVIET CORSAIR, Circa and Onysfx like this

i personally liked the one at the top better as well so i saved both textures... i started adding in scratches and contrast here n there n stuff and just screwed the pooch. i really liked those color variations and was wondering if i should release it gold blue or purple...

@@AshuraDX thanx man that made perfect sense u nailed exactly what happened. I had a problem with the uv map because i wanted to do something simple, then went crazy.. so that should explain the blurry mis-shapen portions.

i do like the one at the top of the page better. I was hoping to make this skin the spec and the less contrasty one the diff... but im not liking it at all. I had an idea to make the whole thing gold with gold and silver embossing... but right now it looks like a texture and not a saber professionally designed for a jedi. i was already disliking it when i posted the pic to get some other opinions... good looking out guys

ill tell u what tho... i REALLY wish we could make a massive improvement on your saberbuilder @@AshuraDX...maybe even incorporate different textures for each peice. A custom saber builder with hundreds of possibilities before u start the game would be epic.as well as the option to add embossing, scratches, chrome, colors, wood, etc in the texture selection. we should totally look into this because everybody wants their own personalized saber u know?

sorry for the double post i wanted this seperate.

swapped back to the less congested texture, and started playing with shaders...

krd2.jpg

zvq5.jpg

wuc2.jpg

ki2g.jpg

3gcx.jpg

d9zj.jpg

i have the blending mode all jacked as you can see by the blueish greenish crap in the shadows... heres the shader.

models/weapons2/gold_dual/saber_base
{
    {
        map $lightmap
        rgbGen identity
    }
    {
        map models/weapons2/gold_dual/saber
        blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
        alphaGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
        map models/weapons2/gold_dual/saber_spec
        blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_COLOR
        detail
        alphaGen lightingSpecular
    }
}
GPChannel and Circa like this

Yeah, like I said before Chalk, simpler is better. I think this one is fine now, doesn't look too bad, but any future ones should be made with the mindset of Jedi build their own sabers, usually out of scrap metal probably. :P

Just look at the ones from the movies:

lightsabers_big1.jpg

I know. I just personally don't like any of those sabers besides maybe qui gon's and the obi right next to it. The rest just look gaudy and like they are just different sabers stuck together. They just don't flow nicely like they were built by someone who had concerns for the visual final product. I tend to think if I were making my own saber, I'd spend a lot of time in not only the function but the aesthetics as well. And the rest have weird stuff here and there that i dont like. 

I'll probably contribute at least one of each styles i.e. dual, staff, single. Maybe give off

or whatever else i find.
  • 4 weeks later...

My apologize. I have been fine tuning the TIE Facility which has proven to be a rather daunting task. I will research some regular hilts, and build some emitters, pommels, etc based off of their designs, then after I get them textured, we can pick and choose which peices go where I'm thinking. Will work on it soon.

Circa likes this

My apologize. I have been fine tuning the TIE Facility which has proven to be a rather daunting task. I will research some regular hilts, and build some emitters, pommels, etc based off of their designs, then after I get them textured, we can pick and choose which peices go where I'm thinking. Will work on it soon.

Awesome. Don't worry about it too much. We know you're extremely overloaded with projects. :P

heres some chokes added on. they are all still completely interchangeable

wig6.png

Nice work you got there man :) 

so what is the propose with this ? make a hilt creator to make different hilt parts with ? if so i see some stuff here there could be 

very useful for JKG it self just to not spoil to much if you would be intrestted in share it :P

Bek and Omicron like this

I guess we could probably do a saber builder. I was just trying to get some original plain ol hilts going, and if i focus on one i will make it too extravagant and fail the whole point of this request. So I was just building seperate simple peices, unwrapping them, and letting the masses pick which peices I should stick where. But yeah, sbaerbuilder much better, we could maybe even incorporate into ashuras saberbuilder. im not doing it. I'll model and unwrap, but I might not even texture these as I am pretty serious about finishing the tie facility soon. uv maps will be ready to rock, with basic colors to differentiate which islands are what... but I may not have time to texture all these and was most likely going to recruit someone with texturing skills to wrap them up. might want to ask @@AshuraDX what he thinks about the saber builder part because as i remember, it would mean i have to export 100 hilts out of these peices, and the saber builder thing actually just chooses between em. i think. which would be HELL

Those looks awesome! I'm sure someone else would be able to texture them and fix them up with some nice shaders.

Anyone? If not I could try, although it would involve using existing textures most likely. I'm not good with starting from scratch.