Which software is best for importing and making models for JKA?

For those of you also looking this is probably what you want: http://jkhub.org/files/file/1571-3ds-max-2010-32-bit-dotxsi-exporter/

If not its probably in this list: http://jkhub.org/files/category/1-utilities/

So i guess most of you use XSI?  I used that a few years ago, seemed pretty good.  When i import a model into 3DS the textures don't come with it and the option to import weights is greyed out.

So would you suggest using XSI?  

I've never been a fan of Blender, it's interface is too needlessly complex and i don't really want to learn another piece of software when i've been using others for 8 or so years xD

Understandable. On the other hand I've been using Blender for 8 or so years, so it's my tool of choice. But I totally get the criticism.

Understandable. On the other hand I've been using Blender for 8 or so years, so it's my tool of choice. But I totally get the criticism.

Friends keep trying to get me to use it but i just don't see the point when i could use the time modeling but i think the only problem i'd have is learning the whole UVW unwrapping thing again but modeling isn't so hard to pickup.  Most modeling software is interchangeable when it comes to things like that, heck Blender even has a 3DS Max controls option for users to choose if they don't feel comfortable with the default.

It's what the Dev's used to make the game. Best option for compatibility. 

I thought so but i couldn't find anything on it.  Sadly newer software doesn't seem to accept the .GLM importer plugin, the one i have for 3DS only imports the model and that's no good.  I'm afraid that if i use XSI it'll have issues with such an old thing lol.

Sadly newer software doesn't seem to accept the .GLM importer plugin, the one i have for 3DS only imports the model and that's no good.  

I've yet to see a .glm importer that will import the weighted mesh. It's almost effortless to get it rigged an ingame if you import the glm though. It's already scaled and fit to the skele, heirarchy is correct... All you have to do is reweigh it. I really wanted to get someone to help me rig all of the base models and export them as .xsi's so the community could tamper and frankenstein.

It's focused on people who don't know how to model

Negative. it's for people who have a basic understanding of modelling and the approximate workflow of getting a character into JKA. He will not be making a basic modelling tutorial. If you can model a character, he will help you get it ingame. From my understanding. youtube the basic stuff.

Negative. it's for people who have a basic understanding of modelling and the approximate workflow of getting a character into JKA. He will not be making a basic modelling tutorial. If you can model a character, he will help you get it ingame. From my understanding. youtube the basic stuff.

I meant the process of using the software to get a model in game, not necessarily modeling itself. That's probably learned from experience, no?
ChalklYne likes this

Do you know of a .GLM importer for XSI?

No, I have been asking around for that too. Someone really needs to make one. I tried just converting the GLMs to something else and import that. It kinda worked but I'm sure someone with more experience would have a better answer.

No, I have been asking around for that too. Someone really needs to make one. I tried just converting the GLMs to something else and import that. It kinda worked but I'm sure someone with more experience would have a better answer.

Don't you find that having to re-weight it can be tedious though?

Friends keep trying to get me to use it but i just don't see the point when i could use the time modeling but i think the only problem i'd have is learning the whole UVW unwrapping thing again but modeling isn't so hard to pickup.  Most modeling software is interchangeable when it comes to things like that, heck Blender even has a 3DS Max controls option for users to choose if they don't feel comfortable with the default.

UV unwrapping in Blender is sooooooo much easier, I don't know how I ever lived without it in Gmax and XSI

I was also going to point out Max 6 wont load in windows 7, unless you have XP mode enabled on a pro version, or a virtual machine with XP set up and a lot of ram, normally it just wont launch

Interesting, I have Max 5.1 and 8 working on win 7 32bit with no virtual machine.

What are XSI importers written in? Language-wise?

Pretty sure it's some sort of C and it supports Python.

A GLM importer would be nice for those who want it, I wouldn't use it but I can see how some would want it.

MD3 support would be awesome.

@@CaptainCrazy, only Max got an importer mainly because back in the day it was the most popular software, from there it probably was easy for people to just edit the plugin to work with newer versions. Oh MS3D has one too, it was a very popular Q3 engine modeling tool.