Cloth sim experiments...

once you've done your simulation and animation, export to fbx, import to max, export from there.

max is certainly a capable, high end 3d package. it's certainly not a very capable, high end animation suite. not by comparison to maya anyway.

...and what is the basis of your statement? What animation feature can it not do?

It's the workflow that isn't good when it comes to 3ds max and animation is what Gir is getting at, the same result takes longer in Max than it would in Maya or Softimage, it was the sole reason which why for the first few years I was into 3d I went from being a 3ds max lover to ditching it, I started having more fun making rigs and animating them than modeling at times.

@@DT85, it's no secret that the interface in Maya is probably it's biggest problem, it pretty much needs immediate customization to feel comfortable but I only used Maya for about a year after Max and it was only kinda on the side when I was transitioning to Softimage and trying to see if I'd like Maya or not. I'm sure though you can find a Maya layout that is aimed towards a Max user wanting to transition to Maya since there are tons of tutorials out there on transitioning from the 2 programs to the other.

The only person on here I know you could personally bug about using Maya is @@Corto since sorry to say he probably knows more about using 3ds max on here than probably everyone but Gir and atm he's been using a mix of Maya and Softimage but I believe he customized his Maya to look and behave like Softimage.

@@Archangel35757, there was a dotXSI exporter for Maya 7 I believe, seen models exported with Maya to JA before, just not sure of the version of Maya that had the plugin, all it would take is a rewrite like you did for Max's plugin to bring it up to date with the newer versions.

The only person on here I know you could personally bug about using Maya is @@Corto since sorry to say he probably knows more about using 3ds max on here than probably everyone but Gir and atm he's been using a mix of Maya and Softimage but I believe he customized his Maya to look and behave like Softimage.

I'll be sure to bug him if I need some help. Only thing though is the lack of plugins for Maya, which you'll always need another program. Corto would probably beat me in Max knowledge when it comes to rendering, physics, CAT and some modifiers. Other than that, I'd say I'm quite knowledgeable and I'm quite proficient in making models/animations for JKA. :P

I tried to do some searching for the dotXSI Xchange for Maya (that's the name of the old plugin) but it's become nearly impossible to find a working download link since it was only primarily downloadable from the old Softimage website before Autodesk bought it out.

It'd be best if the old carcass compiler were rewritten to accept dotXSI 6.0, that would solve so much.

DT. likes this

I just want to say I'm starting to feel comfortable with Maya, although I still can't get rid of the feeling I'm leaving so much behind by trying no to use Softimage anymore. I don't know knack about animations with Maya yet, but it seems to be as good as Softimage if not better. On the modeling side It's starting to scratch the surface of what Softimage can accomplish, but I feel it's going to get a lot better now that they're killing Softimage and Pixar is helping so much. I'm going to try to use Maya for a game I'm starting with Unity. They both seem to get along very nicely.

No one has actually said what Softimage can do with modelling, just that "it's great" & "it's unmatched". I'd like to hear EXACTLY what it can do that makes everything else pale in comparison.

I don't care what you use, all you need to model is primitive objects, shift+drag, quick edgeloops manipulation, keyboard shortcuts and a subd modifier (if you want to involve baking and whatnot). I'm pretty sure most packages can do that. The monkey sitting in front of the screen plays a bigger role than the software, imo.

Let's not turn this thread into a "who's-better-at-what" kind of discussion  ;)

Hell no, my stupid monitor is between life and death, i can somehow revive it by waiting 30 minutes after it's been powered on and fiddling with control panel (via TV's  s-video cable). As soon as a game switches res, pc is rebooted or enters sleep mode it goes blank and that stoopid shit starts all over again. I've been shopping around for a new one...tough choice.

Nope, i borrowed 2 monitors and they both worked fine. I can hear an unusual high pitched sound when it tries to power itself. The self test logo doesn't show up right away when signal cable is unplugged, it can take 15-20 minutes before it does, abnornmal behavior.

Ah yeah, I had that sound with my old one (LG which was 7 years old) before it just never turned on anymore. I currently use a Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 LED 1080p which is 2 years old now. 

• 7 months later...