Jedi Knight Galaxies source code released

Why has it been released? Is it not being worked on anymore?

A news update is being written, this post was made pre-maturely from when we intended to announce, but its a bit too late now.  Basically we just decided that progress takes too long with only 5 active developers and we really really want to go stand alone.  Opensource seems like the best option.

JKG Developer

I've seen the dev diaries. I really like what you guy are doing with the game. I still can believe modders and independent developers have a better understanding of Star Wars and have better ideas than professional studios. Star Wars is not only about the look, but more about the feel and the ambience.

You're aware that standalone will likely get you a cease & desist?

Its far off in the future, we're kind of waiting to see what EA will do to other similar stand-alone starwars mods/games that are free and open source before we actually move to the standalone stage.  As eez mentioned for now, we will still require the original game to play, at least until the waters seem safe.  (Though I'm hardly likely to feel that way with EA lurking around every corner).

I've seen the dev diaries. I really like what you guy are doing with the game. I still can believe modders and independent developers have a better understanding of Star Wars and have better ideas than professional studios. Star Wars is not only about the look, but more about the feel and the ambience.

Thanks, I'd say I'd agree with you except that would sound rather oddly self-serving.  So instead we'll just keep it to a smile, eh?  :)

JKG Developer

Don't really understand the animosity being displayed, but the source code is there for people to use, granted they adhere to the GPL of course. :)

I believe they're wanting to require base assets until they manage to finish replacing all of the existing base assets. All that they need to replace so far as I know is some of the menus, new player models, some sounds, and crosshair graphics.

Seeing as how there's other standalone projects which are doing fine (Star Wars: BattleCry et al), I doubt we're in any serious threat of copyright claims.

The hardest thing for me despite how impressed I am with some of the features JKG has is finding motivation to want to help when you can already play SWG-Emu for free.

This is a totally different game, SWG-EMU is not really a fps nor does it have an awesome saber system.  Its an MMO.

That is why you should help.

JKG Developer

Well, if you need assets when I start making them for a little something something I'm working on I will gladly share them with you guys once I got them finished. Maybe Minilogo feels the same, I won't speak for him.

That's a smidgen hypocritical :o

I'm afraid I don't follow.

So...are they still working to a schedule or just hoping randomers will start adding code to it?

Still developed on a schedule. The code edits are just being made available for a number of reasons:

1. The community can benefit from the additions. I can't mention the number of times where I've said "Well, JKG did this..."

2. Others can contribute to the code where we sometimes fail

3. People can submit issues to the issue tracker, which is a handy way of tracking them since they're integrated directly into the repo

4. Better transparency with the community about what's going on. If people question whether the project is dead, we can point to the repo as evidence that the project isn't dead.

5. Once Raz0r finishes QVM layer strippage in OpenJK, we're going to use OpenJK for engine code, albeit heavily modified.

Slated improvements to the core engine:

- C++ified all the game code

- Improved file system with support for PK3 protection and new archive formats entirely.

- ogv/ogm support for sounds and video

- Runs off a modified version of rd-strawberry or rend2, with Scaleform-like menus and UI.

- (Possibly) scripted HUD using Lua or Angelscript (haven't made up my mind yet)

That's just the basic stuff that I wanted to code into the engine, anyway.

Stoiss likes this

Hm. Well, doesn't seem like a totally comprehensive plan...but who knows.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, this announcement was accidentaly announced earlier than really intended.  We don't even have the current source code up yet (unless eezstreet has finished merging code together, which I doubt has happened), if your waiting for a specific play by play plan right now, the one eezstreet gave you is probably the best you'll get.  Some decisions still have to be made, etc...be patient, it takes some time to get this all worked out.  We're just trying to give the community some news.

JKG Developer

I'm afraid its too late for the children...

Come, boy, see for yourself. From here, you will witness the final destruction of the children and the end of your insignificant rebellion.

Uh, I mean: Yes of course we'll think about them.  ;)

JKG Developer