Jedi Knight Galaxies source code released

This is the end :/

I think you're misinterpreting the situation, we're open sourcing in preparation for going stand alone and to use the new Jedi Academy source code. The new official source release is under GPL which requires you to be under GPL as well (meaning to use their source code you have to be open source too). If anything this just means that code progress will go faster, eezstreet explained it well:

Still developed on a schedule. The code edits are just being made available for a number of reasons:

1. The community can benefit from the additions. I can't mention the number of times where I've said "Well, JKG did this..."

2. Others can contribute to the code where we sometimes fail

3. People can submit issues to the issue tracker, which is a handy way of tracking them since they're integrated directly into the repo

4. Better transparency with the community about what's going on. If people question whether the project is dead, we can point to the repo as evidence that the project isn't dead.

5. Once Raz0r finishes QVM layer strippage in OpenJK, we're going to use OpenJK for engine code, albeit heavily modified.

Seeing as how there's other standalone projects which are doing fine (Star Wars: BattleCry et al), I doubt we're in any serious threat of copyright claims.

We have heard from a Disney source that they 'know' of our project. No idea what the future holds for BattleCry but I would think if they were going to shut us down it would have happened by now.

We have heard from a Disney source that they 'know' of our project. No idea what the future holds for BattleCry but I would think if they were going to shut us down it would have happened by now.

Interesting. I have no reason to suspect that either of our projects are in danger then, since that new FPS game looked vaguely similar to the stuff you guys were doing. I'd be more concerned about the competition that JKG might have with TOR if it went standalone.

DT. likes this

Interesting. I have no reason to suspect that either of our projects are in danger then, since that new FPS game looked vaguely similar to the stuff you guys were doing. I'd be more concerned about the competition that JKG might have with TOR if it went standalone.

I really don't even think they'd be in the same market really.  The games would be completely different styles, and I wouldn't really consider them competition anyway.

JKG Developer

Pretty stale, really. I think since that video we got sprinting animations in first person, reloading animations in third, and some other misc fixes to the animation stuff. Basically nothing worked on in terms of player models. I think someone is working on some Mandalorian armor pieces, which will be rigged as a player model for the armor (Armor works by means of an .armour file, which specifies the player model to use for the armor piece, the surfOffs for the base player model, and the surfOns for the player model. It's then linked to an item via an .itm file, and so on. Armor is basically rigged up like a player model and then overlaid)

Since we want armor to look uniform and correct and stuff, there was some work done on base humanoid meshes which would be modified in body shape and features, and given different sets of armor/clothes for the different NPCs. Overall, character customization is achieved with a complex set of surfOffs/surfOns and different models. Since we have the engine source, we can now utilize the Model Index feature of Ghoul 2, where we keep 32+ ghoul2 models within the same instance. Pretty awesome stuff, actually.

Most of the effort has been put into the levels and guns atm. Content creation pipeline is pretty legit too, and I reckon once JKG Studio gets finished it'll be a good development platform. It seems like the code got pretty messy though since I left so it'll have to be all cleaned up and refactored.

But yeah you should totally contribute some stuff DT85, especially if your bored n' stuff.  Hop over to the irc channel sometime ( irc://irc.arloria.net/jkgalaxies )

Most of the effort has been put into the levels and guns atm. Content creation pipeline is pretty legit too, and I reckon once JKG Studio gets finished it'll be a good development platform. It seems like the code got pretty messy though since I left so it'll have to be all cleaned up and refactored.

Hmmm...that seems like a hint that I should fix JKG Studio's brokeness.

JKG Developer

Nobody is going to understand a thing, believe me. I almost gave up trying to set things up.

You could use the tutorial/method eez posted above, or as an alternative if you like, use Github for Windows. It's a GUI (with the option for command line stuff if needed) and I find it makes Git very easy to use. If you do choose Github for Windows, all you need to do is click the "Clone in Windows" button on the JKG Github page to download the code.

Oh no, I already learned how to use it. Thanks to Eez. What I really meant is that those who are only "curious" are not even going to bother. I was more resolved and even then I found it kind of annoying.