A World Between Worlds (SW Rebels) map

I wonder if the streamlined design of the force nexus in Rebels called "A World Between Worlds" would make it easier than some maps to map.

Or maybe a ring with portals on it, a path across the middle, and then the illusion of the other curves in the skybox?

Still, the streamlined nature might maker it harder to. What does everyone think?

rebels-413-trivia-gallery-1_a7ad96c5.jpeworld-between-worlds-01_6948b2d6.jpeg?re
star-wars-rebels-413-bts-gallery-5_de814

Jeff, Smoo, Droidy365 and 3 others like this

I was actually waiting for someone to make this request. I think it should be kinda simple to make, at least, long as the paths don't go upside down and stuff :lol:

I wonder if anyone would bother making working portals, though there have been such maps discord_emoji___thinking_by_crimsonwarri

That would be too much to ask, lol.

If it's a dual map size, I was thinking a simple ring with a cross, and maybe some slopes down in the middle to simulate the appearance of the upside down paths, but really, anything along this vein would be amazing!

WBW.png

By "Anyone bothering with making portals" do you mean tiny side maps that the portals lead to? Jumping from one side of the map to another through the portals?

By "Anyone bothering with making portals" do you mean tiny side maps that the portals lead to? Jumping from one side of the map to another through the portals?

Well, 'tiny side maps' were my first idea, but the simple portal-portals (one side to the other) was a small idea that, although came to mind, quickly slipped away.

Regardless, both ideas would work nicely, I think. Adding the side maps would work for actual duel areas, maybe recreating the Sith temple from Malachor (already closed up), and the Imperial fuel tanks (where Kanan died - nothing really fancy, just a bunch of spherical platforms surrounded by a box-like area simulating fences, doesn't even have to be scaled realistically); other portals could lead to the Academy main hall, or to some other fan favorite recreation; or just small box rooms, each with its own theme (Yavin, Korriban, with windows, without windows, indoors, outdoors, etc.). Also, those constelations have potential to add some easter eggs ;)

I was tempted to give it a go whilst I was watching this episode too. I'm eager to see your progress when it comes!  ^_^

Well you know, just because someone else's making a map, it doesn't mean you don't have to :rolleyes:

As the old saying goes 'more content, not less' :D

can someone give a link to the soundtrack of this part? 

The official soundtracks to season 3 and 4 have not been released, and the episode featuring the World Between Worlds is only a few weeks old... But here is a video showing where all the whispers were from across all the movies, Clone Wars, and Rebels:

krkarr and GPChannel like this
  • 1 month later...

portals? in jedi academy? never have I seen or heard about anything of that sort for this game,  care to share?

There's a map trigger that can teleport the player when they set foot on a certain position to another part of the map. It was used extensively in Stargate themed maps to move the player to seemingly another world.

There's a map trigger that can teleport the player when they set foot on a certain position to another part of the map. It was used extensively in Stargate themed maps to move the player to seemingly another world.

Yeah, and you can combine that with portal cameras (which basically is how mirrors in the game work - they are simply cameras pointed away from themselves) to give the illusion of a portal towards somewhere else. I think you can also make it so that rockets, thermal detonators and dead bodies can be teleported through, for better immersion of such a system. There was someone a few years ago who started coding a proper "portal" mod, which would work pretty much like in Portal, with entry and exit gates, conservation of speed and all, but I think the videos where he showcased his work are lost now.

Fun fact: working Stargates were actually a part of the older test versions of Jedi Knight Galaxies. Instead than teleporting to other areas of the map, though, they teleported you to another server entirely.

the_raven likes this

Yeah, and you can combine that with portal cameras (which basically is how mirrors in the game work - they are simply cameras pointed away from themselves) to give the illusion of a portal towards somewhere else. I think you can also make it so that rockets, thermal detonators and dead bodies can be teleported through, for better immersion of such a system. There was someone a few years ago who started coding a proper "portal" mod, which would work pretty much like in Portal, with entry and exit gates, conservation of speed and all, but I think the videos where he showcased his work are lost now.

Fun fact: working Stargates were actually a part of the older test versions of Jedi Knight Galaxies. Instead than teleporting to other areas of the map, though, they teleported you to another server entirely.

The more you know!

There are pros and cons to such an immersive system. In the show, the portals didn't show anything until you got right up on them, and having them all be active could be a big drain on the computer and would require a lot of content to be designed for each portal. It'd expand the workload a lot from the idea of this being a simple duel map. On the other hand, that's the kind of ambitious, exciting idea that helps keep Jedi Academy alive... and I guess not all the portals would have to be working, just one or two.