Pirating EA's Battlefront(s)?

Note: I'm sure this will get locked or deleted because piracy is baaad (oooh, spooky!), but bear with me, alright?

So we all know EA's Battlefronts, and EA's predatory behavior, so I was wondering, why does nobody pirate these games, if only to punish EA?

You'd think there'd be a lot of volunteers who'd be willing to jump on the opportunity, especially in Russia, where digital content is pirated on a regular basis, especially since making a pirate multiplayer server has been proven possible.

I can understand why most people wouldn't bother with the first game, since it's a multiplayer exclusive, but the second game has a singleplayer campaign, so where are all the pirates? :ph34r:

dbb3f81d53efb50ee42290d96d397283--pirate

Smoo likes this

So we all know EA's Battlefronts, and EA's predatory behavior, so I was wondering, why does nobody pirate these games, if only to punish EA?

Wouldn't it be so much easier NOT playing it altogether?

Just cause you pirate a game and they don't get money, yet you still play it, seems rather pointless. Your still supporting the game by playing it. What happens if you stream your game or mention it to someone in passing then they decide to go buy it. Your protest just made a sale for EA which beats the purpose. 

Teancum, dg1995, Kuhe and 3 others like this

I'm not one for dumping memes in posts, but....

283e8f9b42a671ac824e2d349658f2d2d45d9f3e

In all honesty though, aside from what @@IrocJeff mentioned if the number of active players gets inflated by pirates it actually helps instead of hurting, because they think people like the game. Sure, some corner of development notices there are lots of pirates, but some other corner (the PR corner) says "OH HEY! LOOK AT OUR PLAYER NUMBERS!"

Besides, this sounds more like a justification to pirate the game rather than a chance to stick it to the man.

General Howard likes this

You should buy a ticket and go live in Russia, they are very open for this things :D

I actually live in a country that's quite close, and I can tell you for a fact, they don't pirate these two games in particular. Still, I wouldn't wanna live in Russia, not as long as they're so aggressive to their 'sister-republics' <_< (and no, I have nothing against Russians as a people, or peoples, since Russia is so multi-national :ph34r:)

Wouldn't it be so much easier NOT playing it altogether?

Just cause you pirate a game and they don't get money, yet you still play it, seems rather pointless. Your still supporting the game by playing it. What happens if you stream your game or mention it to someone in passing then they decide to go buy it. Your protest just made a sale for EA which beats the purpose. 

Makes sense, though I'd always tell people to pirate it, and since I don't do streaming or anything like that, they'd never catch me :P

But you're right, it's best not to play it outright :winkthumb:

I'm not one for dumping memes in posts, but....

283e8f9b42a671ac824e2d349658f2d2d45d9f3e

In all honesty though, aside from what @@IrocJeff mentioned if the number of active players gets inflated by pirates it actually helps instead of hurting, because they think people like the game. Sure, some corner of development notices there are lots of pirates, but some other corner (the PR corner) says "OH HEY! LOOK AT OUR PLAYER NUMBERS!"

Besides, this sounds more like a justification to pirate the game rather than a chance to stick it to the man.

Well yeah, it was an honest question.

But I don't think that piracy is actually helping the company, after all, when you're loosing money, who cares about how many people enjoy or don't enjoy your product? Yes, from a PR point of view, it's a success (or something), but financially it's still a loss, don't you think?

Also, isn't pirating something already a way to stick it to the man?

But I don't think that piracy is actually helping the company, after all, when you're loosing money, who cares about how many people enjoy or don't enjoy your product? Yes, from a PR point of view, it's a success (or something), but financially it's still a loss, don't you think?

Also, isn't pirating something already a way to stick it to the man?

Look at it this way, if one person buys the game because of a youtube video or full server from a pirated copy, then EA spent $60 on advertising which is a bargain in this day and age.  

General Howard and Teancum like this

1jsWCAT.gif

But seriously, why would you think posting a thread overtly advocating for people to pirate a game would be a smart thing to do?

Define 'a smart thing to do', please? Am I afraid I'd get banned for posting a thread about it? No, not really. Nor am I actually advocating it, just trying to understand why there are no pirates who'd be after these two games.

I find it interesting how much people from the developed western world advocate so much for copyright laws. In south america you can find most streets filled with people selling pirated copies of video games and movies and nobody bats an eye.

That said, I think people are way over reacting to the whole Battlefront II thing, if the game is so bad, just stop giving it attention, don't make a 1 hour video shouting and crying about how bad EA is.

I find it interesting how much people from the developed western world advocate so much for copyright laws. In south america you can find most streets filled with people selling pirated copies of video games and movies and nobody bats an eye.

That said, I think people are way over reacting to the whole Battlefront II thing, if the game is so bad, just stop giving it attention, don't make a 1 hour video shouting and crying about how bad EA is.

I agree, but I think the vocal outlash is warranted if it's against the slow installment of predatory practices in this rapidly-changing industry.

If a regular game is bad, boring, horribly done, then just avoiding it is the best thing to do.

If a game is bottomline devious, disingenuous and sets a precedent for questionable gameplay mechanics or practices, then I'm all for overreactions: companies should be kept in check by the consumer.

Bek and the_raven like this

did a search on several torrent sites :rolleyes:

Surprising, then. Maybe it just hasn't been cracked yet by the usual people that crack games. Not sure. I'm sure it's harder to crack modern games compared to a few years ago when you could get any game cracked. With the DRM that Origin uses I'm sure they have made it difficult.

But not sure, you make an interesting observation. I doubt it has any reason to do with the fact that it's an EA game. I can't find a lot of recent games on TPB just from a quick search myself. The first EA Battlefront isn't on there either. Perhaps nobody that is able to crack has any interest in doing it? Who knows.

the_raven likes this

Surprising, then. Maybe it just hasn't been cracked yet by the usual people that crack games. Not sure. I'm sure it's harder to crack modern games compared to a few years ago when you could get any game cracked. With the DRM that Origin uses I'm sure they have made it difficult.

But not sure, you make an interesting observation. I doubt it has any reason to do with the fact that it's an EA game. I can't find a lot of recent games on TPB just from a quick search myself. The first EA Battlefront isn't on there either. Perhaps nobody that is able to crack has any interest in doing it? Who knows.

I'd imagine the main reason is the MP-exclusiveness, since even the more SP-friendly MP games, like the classic BF's, don't have many pirate servers, or players thereof - basically, it's just not worth the effort. But the ones that focus on SP, I don't know. Most likely, you're right, and it's the improved anti-piracy protection games are getting (though I did come across several articles that spoke of Denuvo finally being cracked, Rise of the Tomb Raider being one of the cracked games that uses Denuvo, but if I remember correctly, there was no proof, just the pirate group boasting about it). Another reason might be the games' size (as dg1995 mentioned), since it still takes some time to download even 20 gb, even nowadays, whereas most of these modern AAA games have ~35 at the very least - add the banning of net neutrality, which everyone is afraid will drastically slow down the internet, and it's a (not) pretty picture.

Circa likes this

I'd imagine the main reason is the MP-exclusiveness, since even the more SP-friendly MP games, like the classic BF's, don't have many pirate servers, or players thereof - basically, it's just not worth the effort. But the ones that focus on SP, I don't know. Most likely, you're right, and it's the improved anti-piracy protection games are getting (though I did come across several articles that spoke of Denuvo finally being cracked, Rise of the Tomb Raider being one of the cracked games that uses Denuvo, but if I remember correctly, there was no proof, just the pirate group boasting about it). Another reason might be the games' size (as dg1995 mentioned), since it still takes some time to download even 20 gb, even nowadays, whereas most of these modern AAA games have ~35 at the very least - add the banning of net neutrality, which everyone is afraid will drastically slow down the internet, and it's a (not) pretty picture.

Ah, it seems we were right after all - anti-piracy measures were the reason. I just came across this article that talks about the cracking of Denuvo v4.8. The Russian site where I originally found the news claims it was done by some cracker group called CPY, though I haven't looked into it. Anywho, apparently most of the new games use this version, EA's BF2 included. This wraps up the mystery then :D

Circa likes this

Ah, it seems we were right after all - anti-piracy measures were the reason. I just came across this article that talks about the cracking of Denuvo v4.8. The Russian site where I originally found the news claims it was done by some cracker group called CPY, though I haven't looked into it. Anywho, apparently most of the new games use this version, EA's BF2 included. This wraps up the mystery them :D

Not only in Russia pirated software is something normal... don't worry about EA and other big corporations, they have a lot of money, i don't care about them ! By the way.. i already have BF2... :ph34r: ...  never mind... OpenJK is way better  :winkthumb: .

dg1995, Smoo and the_raven like this

Not only in Russia pirated software is something normal... don't worry about EA and other big corporations, they have a lot of money, i don't care about them ! By the way.. i already have BF2... :ph34r: ...  never mind... OpenJK is way better  :winkthumb: .

Oh? And what exotic location are you from then? :huh:

Smoo likes this