Best Shiny Floor Shader

Hey guys, I'm looking for the best possible shiny floor shader. I've encountered several that I thought were shiny, when they were just transparent with the map mirrored. Besides, I don't want it to be that shiny, I sorta want it to be like this, if it's possible:

b633736b5853b9a54b73523fde35252e.jpg

Tompa9 likes this

Hey guys, I'm looking for the best possible shiny floor shader. I've encountered several that I thought were shiny, when they were just transparent with the map mirrored. Besides, I don't want it to be that shiny, I sorta want it to be like this, if it's possible:

b633736b5853b9a54b73523fde35252e.jpg

I would like to know that too. I want to replicate shine effect from Alzoc III Hangar from demo Jedi outcast.

Droidy365 and GPChannel like this

Hmmm, I'm not too sure if that's actually a shader, or if it's just a little smoke and mirrors  ;)

It may or may not be trickery in GTKRadiant. I'm gonna do a bit more studying to find out what it is.

it's a bit of both.

http://www.1upclan.info/hosted/bubba-map-tuts/mirror1.html

EDIT: for JKA you want to use textures/system/mirror1

textures/system/mirror1
{
	qer_editorimage	textures/system/qer_mirror.tga
	portal
	q3map_nolightmap
}

The portal flag is responsible for the way it works.

z3filus and Droidy365 like this

Problem is the reflections in older games are not smart reflections rather the fake reflection.

The mirror however as far as i remember is the generated portal that generate everything that is on our site basiclly. If not done right the FPS drop can rly be painful specially for MP maps.

Problem is the reflections in older games are not smart reflections rather the fake reflection.

The mirror however as far as i remember is the generated portal that generate everything that is on our site basiclly. If not done right the FPS drop can rly be painful specially for MP maps.

yep. exactly. And if you have 2 portals that see each other your game will crash.

yep. exactly. And if you have 2 portals that see each other your game will crash.

As far as I know it doesn't crash, it just doesn't render the other mirror, creating a sort of "hall of mirrors" effect. Tried that once in a portal-like map experiment.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting this thing to work - I just see a missing texture.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

You may need to add a stage to that mirror shader, like this

textures/<path>/<texture>
{
        qer_editorimage    textures/<path>/<texture>
        portal
    {
        map textures/<path>/<texture>
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
        depthWrite
        alphaGen portal 2048
    }
    {
        map $lightmap
        blendFunc GL_ZERO GL_SRC_COLOR
    }
}

I'm not sure though.

• 3 weeks later...

Download AngelModder's latest Jedi Home. It's extra files have got a very nice shader effect, which can be yes a bit tough on the comp and can cause a crash, but it works just as well. It's literary a mirror shader working perfectly and is even implemented into base JKA but was never used anywhere.

https://jkhub.org/files/file/3308-jedis-home-3-temple-edition-demo/

I´ve played Starkiller base map in MB2 and it has also mirrored shinny floor. I hope you can realise how to replicate it and post there some tutorial Droidy:D

Droidy365 likes this

I´ve played Starkiller base map in MB2 and it has also mirrored shinny floor. I hope you can realise how to replicate it and post there some tutorial Droidy:D

I've encountered several that I thought were shiny, when they were just transparent with the map mirrored.

That's what Starkiller Base does. I don't particularly feel like doing that at the moment.

I might look into the one @@Rooxon suggested, that one looks quite promising :)

EDIT: For some reason, the shaders only work on that map. I'd imagine that the shader is a duplicate of the one from Alzoc III that's designed to work with or without the shiny stuff.

And I'm guessing that no-one's done anything with it because of the mod license it has.

The tutorial Ashura posted works perfectly, you just have to read carefully:

Just create a brush along the wall of your choice and size it to your liking.  Now go up to the textures option and load the'common' group.  Select the 'mirror1' texture for the new brush and deselect.Now right-click the mouse on the wireframe view and select 'misc' then 'misc_portal_surface'. A little box will appear and should be placed in the center of the mirror brush not more than 64 units away.

I'll add that you might need to link that misc_portal_surface to a misc_portal_camera to get it working, but I'm not sure it's actually needed.

@@Droidy365 Yes, there was some kind of "bounding box" you gotta make in GTK Radiant for the reflection - I remember angelmodder explaining the whole process to me, but I forgot. If you have discord, I might try to search for that discussion but I cannot promise you anything - but it isn't hard to do iirc. :)

EDIT: I can't seem to be able to find it since it was probably in a group chat that got deleted and replaced with a channel instead. But I asked AshuraDX if he can figure the routine out. So hang back and hopefully, we can help. :) Since the mechanics are pre-built into JKA but never used, it should be the most promising and easiest way to make such reflections.

@@Droidy365 so, as @@Rooxon announced I messed around with this stuff for a while and managed to figure it out.

The mirror1 and mirror_yavin shaders that ship with JKA are infact broken.

Try this shader with the setup bubba explains in the tutorial I posted above:

textures/system/mirror_fixed
{
	qer_editorimage	textures/system/qer_portal.tga
	surfaceparm	nomarks
	portal
	q3map_nolightmap
	//sort	portal <--- seemingly does nothing
    {
	map gfx/colors/black
	depthWrite // <-- I added this line
        alphaGen portal 512
    }
}

and here's a dropbox link to the shader, my map file and a compiled version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1wr3bz3ze7y35f/MirrorTest.pk3?dl=0

If you just want to take a look at the compiled variant, drop the .pk3 into your basefolder as usual and use:

devmap mirrortest

To access the map.

@@Droidy365 so, as @@Rooxon announced I messed around with this stuff for a while and managed to figure it out.

The mirror1 and mirror_yavin shaders that ship with JKA are infact broken.

Try this shader with the setup bubba explains in the tutorial I posted above:

textures/system/mirror_fixed
{
	qer_editorimage	textures/system/qer_portal.tga
	surfaceparm	nomarks
	portal
	q3map_nolightmap
	//sort	portal <--- seemingly does nothing
    {
	map gfx/colors/black
	depthWrite // <-- I added this line
        alphaGen portal 512
    }
}

and here's a dropbox link to the shader, my map file and a compiled version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1wr3bz3ze7y35f/MirrorTest.pk3?dl=0

If you just want to take a look at the compiled variant, drop the .pk3 into your basefolder as usual and use:

devmap mirrortest

To access the map.

Star_Wars_Jedi_Knight_Jedi_Academy_Scree