The Jedi Knight saga has been wasted.

With so many high quality open world games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Mass Effect: Andromeda and The Witcher 3, I think the Jedi Knight saga has wasted for not developing other open world games where we handle a Jedi or Sith.

There are multiple missed opportunities: Jedi Academy lightsaber combat could have served to inspire other games, but it has not. Instead it has been Dark Souls combat that has inspired other games. The Witcher 3 has abilities called signs that are very similar to some Force powers. Batman: Arkham saga has made the detective vision famous, but Jedi Academy already had Force sense. Even in Batman: Arkham Knight you can give orders to enemies using voice synthesizer, like the mental trick. Fast travel methods such as the witcher's horse or the Batmobile could correspond to the great SW fauna, a speeder bike or even a mech and a spaceship. Cases all of them in single player.

Blame Disney.. And in particular, E fucking A. They are the absolute pinnacle of sweeping away and dismissing old (and quite frankly better) games and their gameplay, for broken, ruined and unbalanced garbage, that's still in the Beta stage, even at launch. Not to mention the fact that all they seem to be interested in, is their infamous multiplayer bullshit.

EA are single-handedly, destroying games and franchises they get their greedy, unrelenting mits on. Just look at what they did recently, with (or should I say "to") Visceral Games and Amy Hennig's project. What could've been a truly great Star Wars single player experience, was shut down by EA, because it didn't fit in with their precious multiplayer view or direction.

Unfortunately, as long as EA are involved and at the helm of Star Wars games, games like 'Star Wars 1313' will NEVER see the light of day. Mechanics and actual gameplay itself is only the tip of the iceberg.. And that's why I and millions of others want EA stripped of the Star Wars licence.

Smoo, Wasa, dg1995 and 1 other like this

Easy low blow there. While it's not up to the original trilogy storytelling level, Andromeda was still a fun game to play and, other than the ill-fated facial animations and some hilarious bugs, it looked amazing. Now, with the experience of KOTOR and the original Mass Effect trilogy, a new Star Wars game that follows the Jedi Knight line doesn't seem impossible. But EA nowadays is more about marketting and what can shipped with "we expect you keep paying if you want to know the end of this story" than delivering an old school, solid, single player experience.

We can only say:"Help us Disney, you're our only hope." xD

That it's true. But on the other hand, a common mistake I'm starting to see more often from the largest studios, is this obsession with creating the ultimate, larger than life, ultra immersive experience, that ends up being just another "I can't believe the visuals, but I don't want to give up living just to learn how to enjoy this game". Maybe it's just me that I want to be amazed by great storytelling and relatable characters, rather than the "ultimate experience". I mean, I still like to go to a magic show and believe the magician is doing real magic. For realism and having a "sense of pride and accomplishment" I have my own life to live. Whatever the fuck that means...

Circa and General Howard like this

Unfortunately Jedi Knight franchise died when Academy wasn't as successful as LA hoped to be. Kotor 1 released at the same year and it managed to become more successful and popular compare to Jedi Knight franchise as whole.

It's why they begin making Kotor 2 before the release of the first And Kotor 3 right when they cancelled SW:Galaxies on consoles.(In other words Kotor replaced Jedi Knight)

Ironically Star Wars Battlefront 1 also become more popular and successful compare to Kotor which is why they rushed Kotor 2 and cancelled Kotor 3.

Why they did that ? Because from the beginning of the 2000 era LA was looking for a ultimate Star Wars franchise to make easy money with that.(Since Adventure genre was dead and flight sim games like X Wing were also dead)

Every publisher had it's own ultimate franchise unlike LucasArts.(EA had FIFA, Capcom had Resident Evil , Konami had MGS , Ubisoft didn't have one until Assassin's Creed , Activision had COD)

Wasa likes this

I know I said I don't want to give up on the rest of my life (gaming is an important part of it though) just to play the ultimate experience game, but give me a new X-Wing/Tie Fighter game with today's visuals and I'm willing to give up my sex life, at least, for the amount of time it takes me to finish that game.

Jeff likes this

I cry when I see how the new Battlefront games handle lightsaber combat. I fucking cry. All aspects of these games (except for visuals and audio) are literally worse than in JK2, a 15 year old game. But that's a general problem with current AAA games, not only EA, making gold plated pieces of shit that look awesome but play profane af.

A new Jedi Knight (which would be a reboot with a name as simple as "Jedi Knight") would be bad anyway. AAA developers and publishers don't take a risk. They would be like "Ok, Jedi Knight was this game where people played with lightsabers etc, so let's just implement a system where you have to press a single button and the game will handle everything else. That's what people want and everything else would be too complicated for the players anyway."

So yes, the Jedi Knight series has been wasted. But now it's too late. We will not see another game with JK's lightsaber-combat and movement mechanics cause it's simply too complicated for what current AAA developers are aiming for.

That's the only conclusion you can draw from reboots like Thief, Tomb Raider and Battlefront etc. I'd rather have no new Jedi Knight than another bad reboot (I was so angry about Thief...).

The only option that I see are dedicated fanprojects.

/rant

I cry when I see how the new Battlefront games handle lightsaber combat. I fucking cry. All aspects of these games (except for visuals and audio) are literally worse than in JK2, a 15 year old game. But that's a general problem with current AAA games, not only EA, making gold plated pieces of shit that look awesome but play profane af.

A new Jedi Knight (which would be a reboot with a name as simple as "Jedi Knight") would be bad anyway. AAA developers and publishers don't take a risk. They would be like "Ok, Jedi Knight was this game where people played with lightsabers etc, so let's just implement a system where you have to press a single button and the game will handle everything else. That's what people want and everything else would be too complicated for the players anyway."

So yes, the Jedi Knight series has been wasted. But now it's too late. We will not see another game with JK's lightsaber-combat and movement mechanics cause it's simply too complicated for what current AAA developers are aiming for.

That's the only conclusion you can draw from reboots like Thief, Tomb Raider and Battlefront etc. I'd rather have no new Jedi Knight than another bad reboot (I was so angry about Thief...).

/rant

Battlefronts are not supposed to have great saber to saber combat, they're goddamn shooters, but anyway it's derailing the topic. 

Besides, there are many good game reboots(and frankly Tomb Raider is one of them) these reboots are Ninja Gaiden, Doom or even Mortal Kombat.

/rant

I think part of the problem is related to video game consoles. Can you imagine a game like Jedi Academy with play station controls? I remember Jedi Outcast was ported to the gamecube but it didn't seem to be popular at that platform nor did it seem to play that well. 

The Force Unleashed games didn't have that problem. Imo it was superior than JK in fighting against stormtroopers,Snipers,ATSTs and Rancors.

Sadly that franchise was also wasted due to rushing TFU2 and cancelling TFU 3.(I'm pretty sure that EA doesn't even bother with this franchise anyway)

I think part of the problem is related to video game consoles. Can you imagine a game like Jedi Academy with play station controls? I remember Jedi Outcast was ported to the gamecube but it didn't seem to be popular at that platform nor did it seem to play that well. 

It was actually very popular on consoles. It wasn't good for competitive play, but since a good portion of JK2 was using guns, it worked like any other FPS, and the sabering wasn't as bad as some people assume. I was first introduced to the JK series with JK2 on Gamecube and it was great.

Wasa likes this

The Force Unleashed games didn't have that problem. Imo it was superior than JK in fighting against stormtroopers,Snipers,ATSTs and Rancors.

I do not agree that The Force Unleashed is superior to Jedi Knight in fights against stormtroopers or snipers, because in The Force Unleashed, stormtroopers can not be dismembered and the snipers shots can not be dodged in the air, instead Jedi Academy does have these traits. I agree instead on the fights against AT-ST and rancors, because in The Force Unleashed they are more epic and shocking.

Although I agree, The Force Unleashed has also been wasted, but its style was already derivative from God of War, while the style of Jedi Outcast is original.

Wasa likes this

I do not agree that The Force Unleashed is superior to Jedi Knight in fights against stormtroopers or snipers, because in The Force Unleashed, stormtroopers can not be dismembered and the snipers shots can not be dodged in the air, instead Jedi Academy does have these traits. I agree instead on the fights against AT-ST and rancors, because in The Force Unleashed they are more epic and shocking.

Although I agree, The Force Unleashed has also been wasted, but its style was already derivative from God of War, while the style of Jedi Outcast is original.

For me Unleashed is better in this part compare to JK because:

1.You don't have Force Speed and force heal that make you easily kill Stormtroopers in JK2 and JA. Also In JA when you get lightning level 3 you can just one hit kill stormtroopers easily while in Unleashed it was better balanced.

2.In JK2 sometimes your attacks may not hit the enemies because the lightsaber mechanics were designed for lightsaber duels.(Stormtroopers in JK are also stupid and just stand and shoot)

3.Snipers are pretty annoying in JK 2 while in TFU they are made much better.(Killing them with dash is pretty enjoyable)

4.Fighting against jump troopers and those juggernauts wasn't enjoyable in JA.

5.Unleashed had better and superior force grip and destructible environment that added more possible ways in killing stormtroopers.

6.Unleashed was better in fighting against big enemies despite not being perfect.(Don't know whose idea was this that these enemies smash their foot to the ground to not allow you to perform combos on them.)

But in the other hand JK was much better in bossfights and fighting against lightsaber wielding enemies.(Also despite being inferior to TFU in stormtrooper slashing it wasn't as terrible as TFU bossfights) 

JK also had multiplayer and modding support which just make it a better SW game.

1.You don't have Force Speed and force heal that make you easily kill Stormtroopers in JK2 and JA. Also In JA when you get lightning level 3 you can just one hit kill stormtroopers easily while in Unleashed it was better balanced.

2.In JK2 sometimes your attacks may not hit the enemies because the lightsaber mechanics were designed for lightsaber duels.(Stormtroopers in JK are also stupid and just stand and shoot)

3.Snipers are pretty annoying in JK 2 while in TFU they are made much better.(Killing them with dash is pretty enjoyable)

4.Fighting against jump troopers and those juggernauts wasn't enjoyable in JA.

5.Unleashed had better and superior force grip and destructible environment that added more possible ways in killing stormtroopers.

6.Unleashed was better in fighting against big enemies despite not being perfect.(Don't know whose idea was this that these enemies smash their foot to the ground to not allow you to perform combos on them.)

But in the other hand JK was much better in bossfights and fighting against lightsaber wielding enemies.(Also despite being inferior to TFU in stormtrooper slashing it wasn't as terrible as TFU bossfights) 

JK also had multiplayer and modding support which just make it a better SW game.

1. You're supposed to be overpowered in most situations against stormtroopers, plus I think those two powers are basic: Force speed is essential in a world where there are lasers and high rate of fire weapons, and Force heal is essential for heal after a fight. For me it is justified that stormtroopers are so weak, because they are cannon fodder. On the other hand you can not kill a hazard trooper in one hit with the lightning, this power has very little reach in level three and it consumes all your amount of Force very quickly.

2. I have not found that, although the AI of The Force Unleashed is not very good either.

3. The snipers in Jedi Outcast can be annoying, but that's because you have to act as a sniper to defeat them, which has an old school style that does not bother me, although in Jedi Academy you can dodge sniper shots already shot, something that is not possible in The Force Unleashed. On the other hand, that snipers from The Force Unleashed carry laser pointers is silly, because that discovers their position and if they want to know where they are aiming for that is the telescopic sight: if you want to know where a sniper is hidden, watch carefully or use Force sense, which is not in The Force Unleashed, and if you want to defeat her / him, shoot her / him with a sniper rifle or throw her / him a sniper lightning, which is not in Jedi Knight or The Force Unleashed. (Now I have realized that laser pointers may not be "real", but implementation of the battle precognition, but this is not said in the game and it is a pity that it does not have more applications in gameplay).

4. In that I agree, it's more fun in The Force Unleashed to fight against the troopers with jetpack.

5. Yes, but why so many ways to kill cannon fodder? The interesting thing is the fighting against other Force users that are at your level, and in that Jedi Academy is superior.

6. It could be but The Force Unleashed has QTE for executing big enemies, which I think is a mistake: place a QTE if an AT-ST is about to step on you for example, but do not place a QTE every time you defeat an AT-ST, just attack and defend until you beat it, as old school.

I think both saga could learn something from each of them, but I think that in general Jedi Knight is better game because it has a better lightsaber combat, you can use other weapons, you have more variety of Force powers, more varied situations, vehicles, multiplayer and support for mods.

Wasa likes this

Not having new Jedi Knight game is better than having new Jedi Knight game made by EA or someone like that.

I do not think so, because a bad game will always be better than not having a game, besides that game does not necessarily have to be bad or will change the Jedi Knight saga already published.

Wasa likes this