SFX Sabers

I see, hes talking about the damn Open Jedi Project SFX Blades, those differ quite a bit from Jedi Knight: Enhanced's version.

It's the same assets and code.

Also, to implement it is literally copy/paste, but people are too lazy to do even that, so...? (not talking about redsaurus, but the people harassing both of us about it...)

Also, to implement it is literally copy/paste, but people are too lazy to do even that, so...? (not talking about redsaurus, but the people harassing both of us about it...)

It's really THAT easy...? Eesh. Maybe just show them how to copy and paste the code, then leave them to try it on their own. But even some are too lazy to do that, I'll bet. :(

I hope you're not including me in that brackets statement. But I think it's a case of actually finding the code, that's more or less the hard part about it. It's not that easy to attain.

It's really THAT easy...? Eesh. Maybe just show them how to copy and paste the code, then leave them to try it on their own. But even some are too lazy to do that, I'll bet. :(

All you have to do is:

a. Download the OpenJK source, and follow the tutorial to compile the code (for a dry compile, just to make sure it works)

b. Find the commit(s) in redsaurus' fork that have SFX sabers in it

c. Add the chunks of code that are highlighted in green, and remove the parts in red.

Seriously. It's that simple, and I've been kind enough to dig through the list of commits to find where exactly it starts (it starts with this one). Every time, it's always "that seems too hard, can you just do it for me instead?" I'm tired of that. If people can't copy/paste code, there's no hope for them. My tutorial here on JKHub and the one on the OpenJK project page are more than enough to get started with basic programming like this. If there's no effort put into it, there's no point in me trying to explain. That's also tangentially why I've focused less on tutorials, because people want me to write specific tutorials to cater to their wants, instead of very general things. "Can you teach me about vector math?" is succinct enough to cover "How can I make a tri-shot blast, like the kind SBDs have in Battlefront?" yet people always ask about the kind of stuff in the latter.

Likewise, I can hear the complaint "well if it's so simple, why don't you do it?" -- well, I have other things I want to work on. It takes time out of other projects that I actually want to work on, such as JKG, the Lost Mission/JK2 Enhanced, other things. Schoolwork. My life? Having a build of OpenJK with just SFX sabers doesn't benefit me at all. Sorry, but it's true. If I wanted to play JA, I'd play it with JA Enhanced, which has that feature anyway. And if I started pushing out builds with one new feature, it would easily snowball into "Can you do one that has holsters next?" "Can you do one where the hazardtrooper doesn't have bugged crouch animations?" "Can you do one where Force Repulse is a thing?" ... to the point where it would be better for me to point to JA Enhanced being used as a base. Which was ironically sorta partially the point of it in the first place.

It's this lack of critical thinking and halfassed effort on multiple people's parts that makes me not want to contribute outside of large projects, because no matter how much you give, people will demand more.

All you have to do is:

a. Download the OpenJK source, and follow the tutorial to compile the code (for a dry compile, just to make sure it works)

b. Find the commit(s) in redsaurus' fork that have SFX sabers in it

c. Add the chunks of code that are highlighted in green, and remove the parts in red.

Seriously. It's that simple, and I've been kind enough to dig through the list of commits to find where exactly it starts (it starts with this one). Every time, it's always "that seems too hard, can you just do it for me instead?" I'm tired of that. If people can't copy/paste code, there's no hope for them. My tutorial here on JKHub and the one on the OpenJK project page are more than enough to get started with basic programming like this. If there's no effort put into it, there's no point in me trying to explain. That's also tangentially why I've focused less on tutorials, because people want me to write specific tutorials to cater to their wants, instead of very general things. "Can you teach me about vector math?" is succinct enough to cover "How can I make a tri-shot blast, like the kind SBDs have in Battlefront?" yet people always ask about the kind of stuff in the latter.

Likewise, I can hear the complaint "well if it's so simple, why don't you do it?" -- well, I have other things I want to work on. It takes time out of other projects that I actually want to work on, such as JKG, the Lost Mission/JK2 Enhanced, other things. Schoolwork. My life? Having a build of OpenJK with just SFX sabers doesn't benefit me at all. Sorry, but it's true. If I wanted to play JA, I'd play it with JA Enhanced, which has that feature anyway. And if I started pushing out builds with one new feature, it would easily snowball into "Can you do one that has holsters next?" "Can you do one where the hazardtrooper doesn't have bugged crouch animations?" "Can you do one where Force Repulse is a thing?" ... to the point where it would be better for me to point to JA Enhanced being used as a base. Which was ironically sorta partially the point of it in the first place.

It's this lack of critical thinking and halfassed effort on multiple people's parts that makes me not want to contribute outside of large projects, because no matter how much you give, people will demand more.

More people need to check the tutorial section, it's really easy to learn to do a lot of things thanks to it and it seems not many people read the content there. Thanks to the decompiling tutorials I'm finally being able to create my own pet droid in SP. 

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

I'm gonna post this in here, first of all.. Before making a request thread on the forum, itself. But would anyone be willing (or interested) in converting the 'Movie Duels II' mod (NOT to be confused with 'Movie Battles II' mod), but converting 'Movie Duels II', so that it runs on the OpenJK engine, so you can get the SFX Sabers effect in there? As the mod currently doesn't have it and it's the only thing that's really missing from it, to "finish/polish" it off.

This is the mod I'm talking about;
http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-movie-duels

It's just the SFX Sabers effect that needs adding to it. All the other content and such is already in place, obviously. If anyone wants to take it up or is interested in doing so, that'd be great.

I'm gonna post this in here, first of all.. Before making a request thread on the forum, itself. But would anyone be willing (or interested) in converting the 'Movie Duels II' mod (NOT to be confused with 'Movie Battles II' mod), but converting 'Movie Duels II', so that it runs on the OpenJK engine, so you can get the SFX Sabers effect in there? As the mod currently doesn't have it and it's the only thing that's really missing from it, to "finish/polish" it off.

This is the mod I'm talking about;

http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-movie-duels

It's just the SFX Sabers effect that needs adding to it. All the other content and such is already in place, obviously. If anyone wants to take it up or is interested in doing so, that'd be great.

You're better off making a new thread about that.

• 5 months later...