[WIP] Mining Freighter

Nice brush work and choice of textures, but the lighting and sound could use some work.

It's the same green everywhere, sometimes without a discernable source, and without much contrast. Add some other colors, maybe a complementing red, and more stark dark/light contrasts, maybe with some spotlights. Some sparing use of animated lights could also make it more visually interesting, but don't go overboard. Also keep in mind you can guide the player using light.

Or maybe disregard what I said, I'm no master lighter myself, I just noticed it being off. Find some tutorials or whatever.

As for the sound, that was especially noticeable in the hallway with the silent fans.

Noodle likes this

Nice brush work and choice of textures, but the lighting and sound could use some work.

It's the same green everywhere, sometimes without a discernable source, and without much contrast. Add some other colors, maybe a complementing red, and more stark dark/light contrasts, maybe with some spotlights. Some sparing use of animated lights could also make it more visually interesting, but don't go overboard. Also keep in mind you can guide the player using light.

Or maybe disregard what I said, I'm no master lighter myself, I just noticed it being off. Find some tutorials or whatever.

As for the sound, that was especially noticeable in the hallway with the silent fans.

Thanks! That's some solid advice and I think it'll help me improve my map a lot.  

The sound was odd at some places because I haven't finished some rooms yet, those silent fans won't be so silent soon enough :)

Instead of posting screenshots, I'm going to post a video to show what I'm currently working on.

I plan to make this the first of a series of singleplayer missions. 

Nice! I Like it :3

But i think there should be more light sources and light should come out from them. I always prefer making texture lamps with shaders that emmits light - You can do rly cool stuff with that ;)

Also make some light changes. Green lightning looks nice but You should some variant to the map. Maybe make a little room where something crashed or exploded and there is a fire that give us red, orange lightning.

Your map looks dark and has nice atmosphere! I like maps like this. And i am waiting for the final realease ! I am SP player for years... and i end up creating my own story lately X)

Noodle likes this
  • 1 year later...

Noodle... get goin here!

Oh the memories of this map! I had stopped developing a couple years ago because the errors were too many to number. It was basically done with only structural brushes, which I didn't know back then was an issue. I might re-do it in the future as part of my main SP mod, after all, I already have done a lot of progress in my "Imperial Space Station" map. 

Old:

ZW8jOIl.jpg

New:

rWZmQBG.jpg

Delta-573, Kualan, Circa and 1 other like this

It feels very dark, very ... mysterious. I think thats the right word for it. Just that elevator sound halfway (i use it for my elevators at least) kinda is misplaced. I have a feeling something has happened in this freighter and we gotta find out ... Keep going. Seeing other mappers at it makes me happy and motivated again. Trying really to make some time now for my own project as well.

RAILBACK and Noodle like this

So is this a parked map from you Noodle? 

Is that some English slang for abandoned? If so, then no! I just started re-doing a two year old map and this one actually has much more development than the other one. What I'm planning to do with this map is to incorporate it to my main mod as a small quest. 

RAILBACK likes this

Is that some English slang for abandoned? If so, then no! I just started re-doing a two year old map and this one actually has much more development than the other one. What I'm planning to do with this map is to incorporate it to my main mod as a small quest. 

Its a translation of Dutch where "We parkeren een project"  technically means we put the project on hold. I realize now it's a term that English people dont use. My apologies

AshuraDX likes this

Its a translation of Dutch where "We parkeren een project"  technically means we put the project on hold. I realize now it's a term that English people dont use. My apologies

Geen probleem, English isn't my native tongue either! Everyday I'm closer to finish the map I'm currently working on. After that, I'll make a revamp of this one, it's time for my old projects to get some love!