My Tutorial Requests I.

I wanted to request some tutorials from you guys, if that's okay. :) If this is the wrong forum, please move it to the right one.

My first tutorial request is how to export weapon GLMs from blender into JKA. I got the import part down, but when I export it as an MD3 to be converted into a GLM with the SDK's MD3 Viewer, it says "Error. Texture Null." And the textures of the weapon didn't go through. So I want a tutorial on how to use Blender to import and export weapons. I know @@mrwonko is the expert of Blender in this community, when it comes to weapons, so I had to ask him. I know he did a tutorial on how to MAKE weapons in Blender, but not to import and export them.

My second tutorial request is actually an easier one. I want to know how to give an NPC or saber file in Jedi Academy Enhanced an unstable or black lightsaber. I know how to give the player it in game by typing sabercrystal 1 black or unstable, but how do you give NPCs that? I want to ask that specifically to @@redsaurus or @@eezstreet, if eez knows that too.

I might ask more in the future, so that's why this is titled 1 in Roman Numerals. :)

In order to give an NPC an unstable or black crystal, you first need to code it in. The tutorial for that is a bit similar to Asgarath's tutorial on adding a new lightsaber color.

I take it that since JKA Enhanced uses the OpenJK engine, just modified, I can just go in and add it in a similar fashion without having to worry about any different processes? :)

I take it that since JKA Enhanced uses the OpenJK engine, just modified, I can just go in and add it in a similar fashion without having to worry about any different processes? :)

I'm not sure. Since that mod implements it, it might be a simple matter of adding to the NPC parser. @@redsaurus knows more about his code than I do, though.

You can't give it to NPCs currently, that will definitely be something for the next version - I want to make the sober crystal stuff accessible in-game rather than just with the console commands too.

Thanks, Red. I'd be happy to be one of the beta testers if that's okay. Never did any beta testing before, but with something like this, I'd like to try. :)

I wanted to request some tutorials from you guys, if that's okay. :) If this is the wrong forum, please move it to the right one.

My first tutorial request is how to export weapon GLMs from blender into JKA. I got the import part down, but when I export it as an MD3 to be converted into a GLM with the SDK's MD3 Viewer, it says "Error. Texture Null." And the textures of the weapon didn't go through. So I want a tutorial on how to use Blender to import and export weapons. I know @@mrwonko is the expert of Blender in this community, when it comes to weapons, so I had to ask him. I know he did a tutorial on how to MAKE weapons in Blender, but not to import and export them.

My second tutorial request is actually an easier one. I want to know how to give an NPC or saber file in Jedi Academy Enhanced an unstable or black lightsaber. I know how to give the player it in game by typing sabercrystal 1 black or unstable, but how do you give NPCs that? I want to ask that specifically to @@redsaurus or @@eezstreet, if eez knows that too.

I might ask more in the future, so that's why this is titled 1 in Roman Numerals. :)

Blender Tutorial Quick and easy ..

To begin with .. with the MD3 models (guns and sabers exactly) You dont need to do edge split. You can use seams to work with the textures. In my opinion it is better option and it is less annoying.

Ok so:

1- make Your model (MD3 models are used for first person view GLM models - models in the hands of the player model and weapon models in the world)

2- make textures, UV layout and other stuff..

3- When You have Your model You also need the tags. MD3 and GLM has diffrent tags btw - You can check the names in the model viewer (tag_weapon ,Tag_flash .. something like this . The tags You can simply add by pressing the space and type : add object. Make two. Name one - tag_flash and second tag_weapon. Tag Flash is where bolts are coming out and tag_weapon is the origin of the model i believe. I recommend exporting one of the MD3 fps models to check the scale ;)

4-When You have tags and model  .. now In the all parts of Your models (not including tags) Go to the Object options and go to the lowest table. You should have : Custom properties. Click add and next hit edit to .. edit thing XD

in :

-property name type: Md3shader

-in property value : Your path to the texture ;) for example .. - models/weapons2/banana/banana (now i want to make it.. damn)

5-And now export file and check it in the MD3viewer.

I hope that this will work.

@ShadowPhoenix

TheWhitePhoenix and AshuraDX like this

Blender Tutorial Quick and easy ..

To begin with .. with the MD3 models (guns and sabers exactly) You dont need to do edge split. You can use seams to work with the textures. In my opinion it is better option and it is less annoying.

Ok so:

1- make Your model (MD3 models are used for first person view GLM models - models in the hands of the player model and weapon models in the world)

2- make textures, UV layout and other stuff..

3- When You have Your model You also need the tags. MD3 and GLM has diffrent tags btw - You can check the names in the model viewer (tag_weapon ,Tag_flash .. something like this . The tags You can simply add by pressing the space and type : add object. Make two. Name one - tag_flash and second tag_weapon. Tag Flash is where bolts are coming out and tag_weapon is the origin of the model i believe. I recommend exporting one of the MD3 fps models to check the scale ;)

4-When You have tags and model  .. now In the all parts of Your models (not including tags) Go to the Object options and go to the lowest table. You should have : Custom properties. Click add and next hit edit to .. edit thing XD

in :

-property name type: Md3shader

-in property value : Your path to the texture ;) for example .. - models/weapons2/banana/banana (now i want to make it.. damn)

5-And now export file and check it in the MD3viewer.

I hope that this will work.

@ShadowPhoenix

Thanks @@Langerd. :)

So when I export it from Blender, it NEEDS to be MD3. The MD3 to GLM conversion will be handled by MD3 Viewer.

Not to steal the thread, but you know what tutorial would also be nice? Weather in maps -- specifically setting up weatherzones, inside and outside brushes, etc. I can't seem to find a good tutorial on it. I've got weather working, but I can't get it to shut off for my inside zones. Also, it'd be great if there was a note on fog as weather, but I think the existing tutorial for custom weather covers that part, I'll check.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

Not to steal the thread, but you know what tutorial would also be nice? Weather in maps -- specifically setting up weatherzones, inside and outside brushes, etc. I can't seem to find a good tutorial on it. I've got weather working, but I can't get it to shut off for my inside zones. Also, it'd be great if there was a note on fog as weather, but I think the existing tutorial for custom weather covers that part, I'll check.

You can convert the Vjun BSP map (that one with the acid rain) and check how it was made ;)

XD, it's cool.

Well you can also directly export to GLM if you set it up correctly, but I can't remember what "correct" is off the top of my head.

I actually did try that but I got an error. :(

https://jkhub.org/mapping/richdiesal/Entities220_Lesson_4_RainSnow_files/en220lsn4.htm

I think if you want to limit areas to outside only you have to seperate your (outside) brushes. I think you only need 1 fx_entity whether it's rain or snow and just divide your brushwork up. Doesn't weather work in M/P?

https://jkhub.org/mapping/richdiesal/Entities220_Lesson_4_RainSnow_files/en220lsn4.htm

I think if you want to limit areas to outside only you have to seperate your (outside) brushes. I think you only need 1 fx_entity whether it's rain or snow and just divide your brushwork up. Doesn't weather work in M/P?

I'm...not talking about weather effects. I'm talking about using blender to import and export weapons into Jedi Academy. Did...you read the first post, by any chance? :/

Yup. Thats why I quoted Teancum. I think Langerd answered your question.

Oh, sorry. My bad.

Well, errors typically state what went wrong, but people have stopped actually reading those messages ages ago.

Now getting to this, here's the error that I got. "Could not open skin." Didn't think I needed a skin file. Yet even when I make one, I still can't import it. :(