**OFFICIAL** Dark Forces Mod revival topic

Yep, that thread talks about GIMP's converter. I linked to it for more complete information.

On a different note, I think I'm going to just leave inventory as-is. The Gas Mask was only used twice in the original game, and in one place you didn't even need it. The Stormtrooper Disguise sounds fun, but doesn't add all that much. More than anything else though it's just a lot of work to get everything I can done. Whatever I can do to "trim the fat" I'll just have to. It basically trims code edits to what's left of the weaponry and adding the inventory scrolling ability back in JA.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

LOTS OF UPDATES:

• Game code
    • Mod now runs directly from the new OpenJK-based exe. No command line shortcuts or .bat files
    • New icon for the game, integrated into the exe
    • Mortar Gun code complete
    • Assault Cannon code mostly complete
    • Fusion Cutter will not work in Q3 engine without additional trigonometry/calculus functions (long story). So for now it'll stay a reskinned DEMP-2
  • Maps
    • Level 7, Ramsees Hed, is now back to where I had it before the PK3 crash. It only needs objectives
    • Level 8, Robotics Facility
      • Finished conveyor system. Belts animate and it will push the player along
      • Area where charges are set is now complete. It's simple structurally, but it's amazing what a little lighting can do (see pics below)
      • A Rocket Trooper is there in place of a Phase II Dark Trooper, and I must say it fits very well. Honestly a helmet swap, slight reskin and some additional health and I can call it good. It's more like the "skinny" Phase II troopers you see in Empire At War and some of the Star Wars art, but I'm okay with that

Hslz4qo.jpg
HtCipVP.jpg
87jkChQ.jpg
imynfFu.jpg
RAnhtNn.jpg

The_CrY, Lancelot, McGroose and 6 others like this

Here are a whole load of screenshots. I've started the exit tunnels. I've borrowed the geometry from Jedi Outcast (guess the level) and will be modifying it further. I've started work on the outdoors start and end, too. It's all very WIP at the moment, but your comments and likes are very motivating, so I thought I'd post.

CvhxSjA.jpg

TcgtBHr.jpg

lZsi1kO.jpg

VsnRlYp.jpg

agKrQLa.jpg

h29rP2O.jpg

0WjL6m0.jpg

1ppKCzd.jpg

m2npJhM.jpg

dJIdAsx.jpg

6Htoxil.jpg

i'd say for the first screen, add a little bit more to the enviornment, as it looks a little dull, and make the area with all the phase 1 dark troopers more like a maintenance area, with a lot of pipes and stuff, as well as make it just a liiiiiitle more narrow instead of some open areas, and i'm guessing the geometry is either level 3 or 5 of jo :I

Compressing all my files now and uploading to Mediafire. I don't know how often I'll get to work on the project in the future as I've spread myself a bit too thin with projects. I've been thinking that I need to hang it up for a week or two now, and *maybe* it's time. There are literally hundreds of hours of work ahead, and I'm just one guy with mediocre skills. It's also painfully clear my skills are not up to par when it comes to mapping, and after putting well over 75 hours into two maps I don't see the skill for the details coming in any time soon. This may prove to be too much of a time sink to make any real progress, especially given the community's high standards.

**Not saying that high standards are a bad thing, by the way, but I don't have the time to devote to reach those standards.

The good news is that I have official control of the mod, so I give permission for these files to be uploaded to JKHub if the staff thinks it would be helpful.

TheWhitePhoenix and swegmaster like this

Compressing all my files now and uploading to Mediafire. I don't know how often I'll get to work on the project in the future as I've spread myself a bit too thin with projects. I've been thinking that I need to hang it up for a week or two now, and *maybe* it's time. There are literally hundreds of hours of work ahead, and I'm just one guy with mediocre skills. It's also painfully clear my skills are not up to par when it comes to mapping, and after putting well over 75 hours into two maps I don't see the skill for the details coming in any time soon. This may prove to be too much of a time sink to make any real progress, especially given the community's high standards.

**Not saying that high standards are a bad thing, by the way, but I don't have the time to devote to reach those standards.

The good news is that I have official control of the mod, so I give permission for these files to be uploaded to JKHub if the staff thinks it would be helpful.

Ohhh man, this is gonna be a great step towards the full completion of the Dark Forces JKA mod. Tean, you are a valuable member of the JKA Modding Community. :D

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lly7vbapv5hm9mb/Dark_05-18-2016.7z

Feel free to mess around with it. You'll have to use devmap ramshed and devmap robotics to mess around. You can also play the very incomplete levels using the following: devmap narshada, devmap jabship, devmap impcity, devmap fuelstat, and devmap executor. Extract the game to /gamedata and run the Dark Forces exe to play.

swegmaster and TheWhitePhoenix like this

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lly7vbapv5hm9mb/Dark_05-18-2016.7z

Feel free to mess around with it. You'll have to use devmap ramshed and devmap robotics to mess around. You can also play the very incomplete levels using the following: devmap narshada, devmap jabship, devmap impcity, devmap fuelstat, and devmap executor. Extract the game to /gamedata and run the Dark Forces exe to play.

And as long as you have OpenJK, it can be used, correct? :)

um help, i've got missing textures on all the new maps that are wip, and the kyle customization is MISSING?!?!

Edit: i've fixed the missing textures(they weren't included in the build pk3 download), but the kyle customization is completely missing

And as long as you have OpenJK, it can be used, correct? :)

No, you need to use my .exe to make the weapons work right. But it can run with OpenJK installed without causing problems.

um help, i've got missing textures on all the new maps that are wip, and the kyle customization is MISSING?!?!

Edit: i've fixed the missing textures(they weren't included in the build pk3 download), but the kyle customization is completely missing

Kyle customization was lost in the corrupted file. I didn't put it back since I was trying to focus on level design.
swegmaster and TheWhitePhoenix like this

No, you need to use my .exe to make the weapons work right. But it can run with OpenJK installed without causing problems.

Kyle customization was lost in the corrupted file. I didn't put it back since I was trying to focus on level design.

aw, but was the bryar secondary fire lost as well? since that looks like it isn't back in, and the build is missing SSSID'S TANTIVE IV TEXTURES, AS WELL AS JKDF2 ONES, sorry if i seem to criticize your build and make it seem bad, but you could add some stuff back :)

Edit: new models like 4lom, merc_dv, gamorrean, ponda_baba, and zuckuss are missing as well

Here are a whole load of screenshots. I've started the exit tunnels. I've borrowed the geometry from Jedi Outcast (guess the level) and will be modifying it further. I've started work on the outdoors start and end, too. It's all very WIP at the moment, but your comments and likes are very motivating, so I thought I'd post.

CvhxSjA.jpg

TcgtBHr.jpg

lZsi1kO.jpg

VsnRlYp.jpg

agKrQLa.jpg

h29rP2O.jpg

0WjL6m0.jpg

1ppKCzd.jpg

m2npJhM.jpg

dJIdAsx.jpg

6Htoxil.jpg

YEAH!!! Talk about the ice slopes that fit totally well for Snowtroopers on snowboards! :D

MTM1MjEwMDE1NzY5MjkyNzcw.jpg

dark_apprentice and yeyo JK like this

aw, but was the bryar secondary fire lost as well? since that looks like it isn't back in, and the build is missing SSSID'S TANTIVE IV TEXTURES, AS WELL AS JKDF2 ONES, sorry if i seem to criticize your build and make it seem bad, but you could add some stuff back :)

Edit: new models like 4lom, merc_dv, gamorrean, ponda_baba, and zuckuss are missing as well

It's not meant to be a beta. Its a backup in case I get too busy to continue. Most of those aren't in the PK3 yet.
swegmaster likes this

I take it that the Kyle customization will be remade sometime in the future, though? :)

It's not meant to be a beta. Its a backup in case I get too busy to continue. Most of those aren't in the PK3 yet.

alright, i'm actually making my own version of the backup with a few differences, like a modified items and weapons.dat, a new df concussion rifle wall impact(which is in the df disruptor fx folder), fixed npc sounds to not all of them be humanmerc1, added arc and executor music, and df2 jacketed kyle back in

alright, i'm actually making my own version of the backup with a few differences, like a modified items and weapons.dat, a new df concussion rifle wall impact(which is in the df disruptor fx folder), fixed npc sounds to not all of them be humanmerc1, added arc and executor music, and df2 jacketed kyle back in

Maybe...you two can work together? :)