**OFFICIAL** Dark Forces Mod revival topic

Once ya'll get a final version of the model done let me know. I'll try and get you some new idle, movements, shooting, and such for ya.

could you get some phase I dark trooper animations done? all we need is an idle stance, a running animation, and a slash attack animation like the original df

oh my god, could you code it in so that enemies will actually chase you instead of standing still? i remember in jo they were more active, in ja most of the enemies don't even try

I remember when JO came out Lucasarts big pitch for the game was the smarter AI, which im sure now doesnt compare to the current AI in most games now.

Just upgrade to 2015 community edition lol.

That's what I used before and nothing compiled. I don't see why all the dependencies keep (seemingly) jumping in version when there's no major benefit. It's probably something I'm not seeing.

could you implement the new wip renderer called rendsaurus from jedi academy enhanced? that was known to fix dynamic glow lag on macs, you could also implement the framebuffer objects option in the more video option menu, also from jae, as that fixes dynamic glow performance on a LOT of pcs

Reverting this change. The updated snd_music.cpp doesn't play well with Visual Studio 12.0's VC library. It threw about a dozen errors at me, so for now I'll have to look elsewhere for a fix. I believe it's the use of Q::substr in the code but @@mrwonko will have to confirm.

Actually @@Jeff -- please stick to trying to capture the same color tones/specular of the Phase III you converted. The original Phase II's sprites were really ugly, and I'd bet money if they had the ability to be higher resolution originally they would have made them better. I mean, just look at how ugly this is:

phase2.gif

I mean, what's with that jetpack?

That Jetpack looked more like the wings of a Moth. lol

cecropia-08-019.jpg

swegmaster likes this

That's what I used before and nothing compiled. I don't see why all the dependencies keep (seemingly) jumping in version when there's no major benefit. It's probably something I'm not seeing.

2013 still compiled last I checked but maybe a recent change was unintentionally newer C++ std required and didn't notice.  We move to latest because 2015 has newest C++ support and MSVC was very bad about supporting newer C++ versions until recently.  2013 improved it but 2015 has way more.  Vs with clang/gcc they have supported C++11 since well `11 was released and C++14 and also parts of C++17.

Update to above: Pretty sure the https://builds.openjk.org Windows builder is 2013 so it should still work.

There shouldn't be an issue if you installed 2015 properly.  Did you just click next a bunch of times?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/60k1461a.aspx States that C++ support is not installed by default and you must select it from Custom installation options.

could you implement the new wip renderer called rendsaurus from jedi academy enhanced? that was known to fix dynamic glow lag on macs, you could also implement the framebuffer objects option in the more video option menu, also from jae, as that fixes dynamic glow performance on a LOT of pcs

Maybe. I'm trying to keep code changes as minimal as possible as that's not my forte. I also aim to keep my code as minimal so I can *maybe* port my code to the Xbox using some code comparison tools and making changes accordingly. I'm fairly confident that once map optimizations are done framerates should soar again.

@@ensiform -- but I still don't get the reasoning for constantly upgrading. I get that it's better support, but we're talking mid-millenial code. I've found in the professional world you don't upgrade unless you have to as it can present unforseen issues. So I guess being from the opposite-school train of thought it's frustrating. Still, I'll be able to fix the music using older code, I'll just have to do a little research first.

swegmaster likes this

Maybe. I'm trying to keep code changes as minimal as possible as that's not my forte. I also aim to keep my code as minimal so I can *maybe* port my code to the Xbox using some code comparison tools and making changes accordingly. I'm fairly confident that once map optimizations are done framerates should soar again.

@@ensiform -- but I still don't get the reasoning for constantly upgrading. I get that it's better support, but we're talking mid-millenial code. I've found in the professional world you don't upgrade unless you have to as it can present unforseen issues. So I guess being from the opposite-school train of thought it's frustrating. Still, I'll be able to fix the music using older code, I'll just have to do a little research first.

why do the xbox code? isn't the first xbox discontinued?

why do the xbox code? isn't the first xbox discontinued?

Because my buddies and I keep a bunch of them for quick and easy LAN parties. It's lots easier than lugging around a bunch of PCs.

On a different note, how about a few VERY Work In Progress screenshots? Below you'll see the start of the robotics facility weather system, a second Phase II fight, a close up of the Phase II's height (still the rocket trooper model) for size comparison, and the debug message you'll get upon "completing" any level that isn't finished yet.

a34gGL4.jpg

dsB2ivM.jpg

biB3jOI.jpg

bA6Urgc.jpg

0FVYVC0.jpg

Because my buddies and I keep a bunch of them for quick and easy LAN parties. It's lots easier than lugging around a bunch of PCs.

On a different note, how about a few VERY Work In Progress screenshots? Below you'll see the start of the robotics facility weather system, a second Phase II fight, a close up of the Phase II's height (still the rocket trooper model) for size comparison, and the debug message you'll get upon "completing" any level that isn't finished yet.

a34gGL4.jpg

dsB2ivM.jpg

biB3jOI.jpg

bA6Urgc.jpg

0FVYVC0.jpg

what a coinsidence! the kyle customization model you're using looks just like the one i use  :lol:

KyleKatarn1995 and Teancum like this

Reverting this change. The updated snd_music.cpp doesn't play well with Visual Studio 12.0's VC library. It threw about a dozen errors at me, so for now I'll have to look elsewhere for a fix. I believe it's the use of Q::substr in the code but @@mrwonko will have to confirm.

Oh fuck VS12. Can we just move past that already?

If you could post the errors I can take a look into it. I've taken a stab in the dark at fixing it though, maybe ff3fc25 will solve your problems.

There is the major benefit of new language features that make programming more bearable. This is a community project so you need any motivation you can get for people to work on it.

Update to above: Pretty sure the https://builds.openjk.org Windows builder is 2013 so it should still work.

Yeah, but it hasn't been building for over a month and thus never tested my changes.

I don't think that staying on the bleeding edge is completely necessary. But seeing as how we're talking about replacing ~5 year old, free software that...even in the newest iteration mind you, still lacks support for features of the C/C++ spec that were available for GCC in 1999...yeah, it's silly. But blame Microsoft for these shenanigans, not the maintainers of OpenJK.

Also worth noting: no, we're actually not really talking about mid-milennial code. The source release from 2013 did not compile on modern compilers even back then, and two new standards of C++ have become prominent since then. Myself and others had to spend weeks making it work because it used wacky tricks from the '90s when C++ didn't have a spec written for it. OpenJK takes advantage of modern programming practices and principles to deliver optimizations and bugfixes.

so i found some unused sounds in the df sound files, sounds like realistic ammo collect, goggles turn off, alt-repeater fire heard in df2, mortar gun select(blaster select in df2), footstep sounds for snow and ice cleats, alt-probe about to explode beeps, and a screenshot take sound(yes, it seems screenshots were going to be a thing in df)