**OFFICIAL** Dark Forces Mod revival topic

Actually not, because the developer made money with them.

That's perfectly fine, as long as they provide the source code to anybody who buys it (who then in turn are entitled to sell it themselves, or give it away for free).

Actually not, because the developer made money with them. But on the other hand, he only provided an "emulator" for each game. The asset files needed to be added seperately, so it was required to own a copy of the game.

There were more ports, like Quake 1-3 and Wolfenstein. Unfortunately, those ports have vanished from Google Play, probably due to legal reasons. At least they don't appear in my country anymore. But still, the idea is great to have games like Jedi Academy running on an Android device.

I'd actually expect german censorship for games to be at fault for this. "Wolfenstein, aw hell no!"

• 3 months later...

I went over the mod again and to be honest, it looked good back then, but now it looks so dated I feel like it needs a complete overhaul. Not just a re-skin, but an almost complete do over. I'm thinking about making a pure Star Wars shooter with the openjk code which will probably benefit this mod. Do you have someone working on the code already?

I went over the mod again and to be honest, it looked good back then, but now it looks so dated I feel like it needs a complete overhaul. Not just a re-skin, but an almost complete do over. I'm thinking about making a pure Star Wars shooter with the openjk code which will probably benefit this mod. Do you have someone working on the code already?

The major problem with the 'dated' look is that there aren't even enough people interested in completing something on the DF mod's scale at our current circa 2006-ish art level, let alone having to work within newer tech, completely redoing all those levels. 

The bottom line is that if you want a modern Star Wars shooter it needs to be done in a modern engine where the asset pipelines are already set up to allow fast production at high-end levels. No matter which way you slice it there's a huge undertaking in bringing this game up to semi-current standards. I've seen some amazing work by teams here, but in the end chasing the most modern technologies literally means you never catch up. 

Modern art is doable with a modern pipeline, GL2 still has some things that need to be worked out, I know it's been kept on the DL but a full PBR pipeline is already here, just a little more time is needed before it's ready to be shared with other mods.

With what we've got so far in DF2 using the GL2 renderer it's definitely WAY easier to just stick to this engine with a revised renderer than go to a different engine. Some of us here have tried that and that route is more work, much more. From trying to mimic the games feel to the massive amount of animating which DT and I are like the only animators around here, to all the art. Moving to another engine is a massive amount of work.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/21/2016 at 7:19 PM, Teancum said:

Not right away. I don't know how to animate models, but if someone makes animations for them I can code it in later. Since they work fine I'm not too worried at the moment. I just want the guns firing the correct projectiles, the stronger melee combo system (done), and more maps complete for now. Maps are coming along well, by the way.

******EDIT******

HOLY CRAP! I FOUND HAPSLASH'S GENERAL MOHC!   https://www.mediafire.com/?52fd5fsausa58ll

It was hidden away in the Dark Forces source files. Trouble is he's not rigged yet. It's a 3DSMax file and some textures. Can anyone rig him?

can you give me new link for hapslash's rom mohc?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...