**OFFICIAL** Dark Forces Mod revival topic

Yeah, I'll say that for all the remaining levels except Jabba's Ship the builds were WAY further along than what I have. Unfortunately that means some of the awesome features didn't make it in. Still, I guess continuing with what we have is better than nothing, right?

On a better note I heard back from Darth_Linux about a week and a half ago. He said he contact the person who wanted to take over the mod when he stopped in 2008, and if I didn't hear from in a few weeks I can officially take over.

I wasn't really planning on any new music to be honest, but I'll check it out. Where did it come from?

its part of the dark forces music track, some guy named stephen1297 took the midi tracks from x-wing and tie fighter, as well as dark forces, and put them online for people to get, it includes every single soundtrack, including a bunch of unused soundtracks, some left on purpose like a surf theme track purposely unused named 50SURF01, it also includes the cutscene soundtracks and the rest of the executor and arc hammer enter/outro tracks, get it here: https://sites.google.com/site/stephen1297/latracks

try asking darth_linux if he knew how the music got enhanced and converted, if that fails, try looking it up online :), btw, if you ever do get to doing the mots mod coding, maybe make it so that you can somehow use the special melee grapple while holding the saber

So great news, I may be getting a job at a software production company! I just finished my second interview on Friday. If I get the job it will be a full time position building VR simulations with Unity.

That being said, I plan to make things even more efficient in the mod:

• So the more I think about it the more I'm not ready to do two different ammo types for the Assault Cannon. It's so terribly involved.to create a whole secondary ammo set, run that in the HUD, etc. The Assault Cannon will now run plasma cells (power cells). The secondary fire will behave like a rocket, but will be a blue burst of energy. Both firing modes will include bonus damage against droids and armored power suits (I.E. Dark Troopers) to compensate.
  • The Jet Trooper will stand in for our Phase II Dark Trooper. Now that Disney Interactive stuff is fair game I plan to convert the Empire At War Dark Trooper, but that's much further down the line.
  • I've started kitbashing Kyle with his JO/JA counterpart.

So I've been banging my head against a wall trying to kitbash JO models (Mercenary Kyle is a JO model, so I had to do the rest that way). Then it hit me. Rather than kitbashing, what if I make the way the code references "species" different? The stock game looks for playerchoice.txt in the models/players/[playermodel]/ folder. For the Dark Forces mod it will simply look for kylechoice.txt. This means I can swap out Kyle models, but it won't load the default species. It saves me lots of headache with kitbashing, too.

Well wonderful. I just lost tons of work due to my PK3 becoming corrupted. Talk about a motivation killer. I don't have a backup of the original six-level demo and the downloads are down, too. Ugh.....

Power failure while updating the file. Luckily I still have all my map sources and source code for the DLL. I lost all the UI updates and character updates I did, though, and I can't do anything until the files come back online unfortunately.

Power failure while updating the file. Luckily I still have all my map sources and source code for the DLL. I lost all the UI updates and character updates I did, though, and I can't do anything until the files come back online unfortunately.

You know what I hate? Power companies sending absolutely NO NOTICE that there's gonna be an outage and then stuff like that happens. Makes you just wanna deliver karma to them. But dude, hang in there and don't give up. You still have some stuff, so you can recover from this.

do not worry m8, as long as you remember all the changes you made, you will be fine, besides, remember your previous posts :)

Teancum and TheWhitePhoenix like this

Yeah, I'm gonna start building daily backups on my network drives. Also, I'm going to run open-folder instead of a PK3 until the build is done. Since the files are back up it should only take me a few hours to get most things back up and running. In the end I figure I actually only lost my UI customization changes, which is only a few hours of work given that I remember how I did everything.

Back up and running. I'm loving running this on a custom OpenJK build. I even implemented a Dark Forces game icon into the game engine. @@ensiform or @@eezstreet -- do you know why it defaults back to the OpenJK icon once the game boots up (windowed mode)? Also, any idea how to change the windowed text from OpenJK (SP) to something else? I thought both would be in the resources, but I can't seem to find them.

swegmaster and KyleKatarn1995 like this

Back up and running. I'm loving running this on a custom OpenJK build. I even implemented a Dark Forces game icon into the game engine. @@ensiform or @@eezstreet -- do you know why it defaults back to the OpenJK icon once the game boots up (windowed mode)? Also, any idea how to change the windowed text from OpenJK (SP) to something else? I thought both would be in the resources, but I can't seem to find them.

I'm not actually sure, I have similar issues with Jedi Knight Galaxies. Maybe your .ico doesn't have the correct size?