Rend2 - A Modern Renderer

Xycaleth

I don't think @zOrg realizes that this entire community is aware of that project of JK2 in Unreal. The huge problem is that first of all, it's not a playable game and it never will be. The guy just took the games models and animations to make movies using Unreal matinee which is sorta like a cutscene maker.

It'd be much better to upgrade this engine rather than try to build this game from the ground up from scratch.

@zOrg - no one is stopping you-- go ahead & knock yourself out... but don't poo-poo or vomit all over the good, hard work that people are doing to upgrade this engine!

Edit: Plus these kind of comments, like yours above, can be demoralizing... have you ever considered that?

Keep up the great work @@Xycaleth!

Calm your tits down, it was just an example.

Rend2 eh? Pales in a mile in comparison with THIS: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWYvTeBonRA

Its not the improved shaders people want nowadays, but a fluent life-like animations.

They're the same animations from JKA....they just tweened them with other animations and adjusted the easing. That's it. And I take issue in particular with the animations because they're very jerky and unprofessional IMO.

This whole attitude of "rend2 eh? it won't ever be as good as X" is really toxic imo and it's what drives a lot of people away. People like you are why I hesitate in modding this game.

DT., Bart, Archangel35757 and 2 others like this

@@Szico VII I know you took a break for a bit but I hope the recent development of Rend2 will persuade you back because your Moonbase Labs map was looking amazing with the much older version of Rend2. Reminded me a lot of Doom 3.

Because thats where moonbase labs is inspired from basically lol.

A duel sized map would be good, or maybe a connected set of duel sized rooms, with some "interesting" lighting and colours? By interesting I mean there should be some structures to cast shadows (e.g light behind a set of jail-like bars), a wall with vibrant colours so I can test colour bleeding. I think best thing to do would be to create the map as if you were going to use shader lights but put point lights in lieu. That way I can use the same map when I add support for shader lights.

I lowered the lighting levels to match more closely what it looks like with q3map2 and the graininess will go away as you increase the quality. I didn't have the time to wait for it to remove all the graininess so I settled with what I had :) Here's another render using @@Circa's map:

test4.png

I don't know why it's backwards (the door should be on the left) :P I'll look at fixing that later.

Also...the shadows won't be as sharp when they're actually turned into lightmaps. These are literally renders of the map from my program.

Circa and DarthStiv like this

This happend after the big pause last year. So, the first new push broke it somehow. It's like the normal mapping generates to much shadow (or the old code doesnt at all). I think thats what Szico means with grainy?

Shadows have a grainy edge and is more noticable when at a distance or at a lowered shadow resolution. From what I remember though, it's the same in ioquake3.

EDIT:

@@Xycaleth

Will the new lightmap generator also allow for custom shadow sizing on certain brushes like q3map2?