Star Wars Episode VII Discussion

Oh I don't know.. they broke ice with this movie so it'll be easier to make 8 & 9.

They just need to keep an eye on criticts and the hundreds of youtube videoreviews

to ensure that people actually want too see the movies. And you'd think they know

better, NOT to copy the OT too much. Sounds simple but we'll see...

@

Snoke...

The scene with Snoke is actually what I saw myself :) I created several pictures of him, but none looks close to what they show. I am positive now, that it's good that he looks like a humanoid, and not like Muun or Neimodian. Human-like approach makes him scarier - a lot! And good point on his height and the hologram stuff. It's not that clear for now. I have some pictures here...

snoke1_zpscpsm4rxf.pngsnoke2_zpshnqorzn2.pngsnoke4_zps9rtgtuk4.pngsnoke3_zpsf9inekow.png

The similarity between the OT and the new episode is somehow inevitable: Star Wars has always been about family and legacy. It's like a fateful move, which shows us, that different people of different social status (royal family, soldier, smuggler, farmer, etc) act the way they act due to unexplained, but still understandable things. It's like an unspoken legacy, the hidden bloodline, which makes its way through all the obstacles, be it the Trade Federation blockade, the run through the Death Star trench or the maneuver between the relics of the old battle between the Empire and the Rebels.

So the similarities here can be justified, even though Episodes VIII and IX are far away, perhaps they will look absolutely different. Episode VII might have made a good path to them now.

For the sake of spoilers I'll use the tag, view at your own risk.

Well people were CLOSE on thinking it would be Chewie that died, sadly it was Han :( At the hands of his own son (Kylo) who is revealed to have been named as BEN by Han and Leia at birth before he joined the Jedi to train and fell to the dark side, slaughtering all but Luke after becoming obsessed with his Grandfather.

MB2 Beta Tester / MB2 FA Assistant Dev

For the sake of spoilers I'll use the tag, view at your own risk.

Well people were CLOSE on thinking it would be Chewie that died, sadly it was Han :( At the hands of his own son (Kylo) who is revealed to have been named as BEN by Han and Leia at birth before he joined the Jedi to train and fell to the dark side, slaughtering all but Luke after becoming obsessed with his Grandfather.

They basically turned Ben Skywalker into a JACEN SOLO WANNABE!?!?!!??!?!?!??!?!?!? And the wannabe LITERALLY tries to BE LIKE VADER!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!  :mad: AND they REVERSED what Luke and Mara did for THEIR SON, but switched Luke with Han and Mara with Leia!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!??!!??!?!??!?  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:  WHAT!?!?!?!??!!???!?!?!?!?!?!? Okay....NOW I'm pissed.  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:

I was impressed with how powerful Kylo had become,

Vader had grown in the Jedi temple and therefore had more

respect for the Force; he only needed to point at someone to

make him choke, to interrogate. Kylo had no self control -

he was a loose cannon - he took control of their bodies, which

I think is the ultimate way of scaring a person. Kylo is scary..

I just got back from seeing it(First time I've seen a movie opening night, and the first Star Wars movie I've seen in theaters, woo!) - I mostly really liked the movie, though there was a massive buzz-kill at the very start, as there was no sound during the opening crawl due to a technical glitch. And this'll probably be stupid, but that really was the part I was looking forward to the most, hearing that opening in the theater...

Anyway, moving on. It was a lot of fun, though not without flaws. I think I need to see it a few more times before I can fully form my opinion or compare it to the original trilogy. A few things did stand out though, such as

the rather unfulfilling/inconclusive ending. I get that they're setting up a trilogy and all that, but all previous Star Wars movies save perhaps Empire have pretty much wrapped up their main story by the end. Hope and Menace in particular stand alone very well, and I guess I was hoping for something more along those lines for TFA... though again, like I said, I'll need to see it a few more times. This might just be an issue of expectation vs. reality.

The Starkiller Base I wasn't super fond of at first(Look guys, it's a Death Star, only it blows up several planets at once!), but I grew to like it by the end, and its concept actually made a lot of sense - by space fantasy standards anyway.

The characters and acting were both great - two things the Star Wars saga has seldom had at the same time up to this point. Kylo Ren being Han's son was something that I'd somehow never predicted, but I really liked that aspect. I'm VERY interested to see where they take this character in 8 and 9, hopefully they don't go the obviously obvious routes.

I'm really looking forward to Episode VIII now, given that it's primed to give us some answers and screentime for Old Man Luke, the Knights of Ren, and Snoke. Three things I was expecting to see more of(Well, maybe not Snoke, but I was expecting Luke and Knights) in TFA.

All in all, my expectations were probably too high, I liked the movie, though didn't love it as much as I hoped I would. Subject to change after some rewatching of course.

Well, THANKS for the spoilers, guys. Now the EU movement is justified in being mad. Kylo Ren = Jacen Solo ripoff and a Ben Skywalker mockery. -_-

This is exactly WHY I used the

tag and posted a warning that it contained spoilers to avoid this sort of situation... At least I'm not the blame :P

Darth Sion likes this

This is exactly WHY I used the

tag and posted a warning that it contained spoilers to avoid this sort of situation... At least I'm not the blame :P

Dude...I'm not shooting you, so you're okay. In fact, I *OWE* you for proving me right about TFA. And I am still gonna see the movie with my brothers, but I'm NOT gonna like it now. Maybe I'll get a FEW thrills out of it, but that won't quench my anger.

Fuse294 likes this

Dude...I'm not shooting you, so you're okay. In fact, I *OWE* you for proving me right about TFA. And I am still gonna see the movie with my brothers, but I'm NOT gonna like it now. Maybe I'll get a FEW thrills out of it, but that won't quench my anger.

Don't give into hate, that leads to the Dark Side!

Darth Sion likes this

Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate..Hate leads to Suffering.

How do you think EU FANS like me feel...? Especially after finding THIS out...? Imagine a series you loved so much, like Star Wars, that was bought by a company like Disney and the continuity you knew and loved, with 30+ years of merchandise, books, games, comics, EVERYTHING being turned into an alternative timeline (Legends). Then they STEAL from that timeline in order to make their own continuity, all for the sake of "cohesive canon" when the previous canon WAS JUST FINE. Also, their "cohesive canon" actually has more plot holes than swiss cheese, especially their more animated stuff. *Cough* Rebels *Cough*. So in a sense, we EU fans are ALREADY suffering.

Honestly I think their references to the trashed EU stuff were them giving something back...or at least trying.

They want to give something back...? How about doing something PROPERLY? Ben Solo is NOT giving something back. It's taking a dump and leak on someone's lap, then taking that said dump and shoving it in that person's face. That's HUMILIATING. 

I saw the movie in 3D, last night.. The cinema was sold out! Good job I pre-booked my tickets, prior to the early screening. I kinda' feel bad for all those Americans having to wait until today (Friday) to be able to see the movie. But oddly enough, what I found quite funny.. Is the .gif of Kylo Ren in my forum signature (below) wasn't actually in the movie at all. At least I don't remember seeing it. But that whole lightsaber fight between Finn and Kylo was pretty awesome! I felt it very much mimicked the fight between Luke and Vader from "The Empire Strikes Back". But Rey, essentially being a more powerful Force user than Kylo kinda' shocked me a little. First off, she starts to use a "Jedi Mind Trick" on a Stormtrooper, to release her from her constraints, while being held captive. Then is able to Force pull a lightsaber hilt to her hands, at the same time Kylo is trying to do the same thing. But I'd definitely agree with a web post I saw somewhere, about Kylo Ren being an emotional mess. "Conflicted", I think would be the right word to use here.

I certainly did get the feeling with this movie though, that it "empowers women" (which isn't necessarily a bad thing at all). But I think there's more to the back-story of Rey, than we've seen in the movie, which I think will pan out over the next few films.

I saw the movie in 3D, last night.. The cinema was sold out! Good job I pre-booked my tickets, prior to the early screening. I kinda' feel bad for all those Americans having to wait until today (Friday) to be able to see the movie. But oddly enough, what I found quite funny.. Is the .gif of Kylo Ren in my forum signature (below) wasn't actually in the movie at all. At least I don't remember seeing it. But that whole lightsaber fight between Finn and Kylo was pretty awesome! I felt it very much mimicked the fight between Luke and Vader from "The Empire Strikes Back". But Rey, essentially being a more powerful Force user than Kylo kinda' shocked me a little. First off, she starts to use a "Jedi Mind Trick" on a Stormtrooper, to release her from her constraints, while being held captive. Then is able to Force pull a lightsaber hilt to her hands, at the same time Kylo is trying to do the same thing. But I'd definitely agree with a web post I saw somewhere, about Kylo Ren being an emotional mess. "Conflicted", I think would be the right word to use here.

I certainly did get the feeling with this movie though, that it "empowers women" (which isn't necessarily a bad thing at all). But I think there's more to the back-story of Rey, than we've seen in the movie, which I think will pan out over the next few films.

All I got from that description right there....Is Mary Sue and Political Correctness. The EU had strong women BEFORE this movie was even thought up. Though I do agree it's not a bad thing, HOW did Rey even learn that fast? Makes NO sense. Unless she's related to Anakin and Luke, since Luke learned quickly too, but I'd bet ANYONE who is the offspring of The Chosen One would learn faster than others. And if Rey is indeed related to Anakin and Luke in some way, then that's even more facedesk inducing....-_-