Star Wars Episode VII Discussion

@@DrXann

That is the exact quote from The Phantom Menace video game - though never used in the film itself! =) "Why do we need that worthless creature?"

Yesterday I found a video, that some people actually saw the concept for the Leader Snoke. In a magazine there was even a picture, drawn by a person, either working on the concept or who saw the picture himself. Some claim it to be a fake, but the drawing reminds a lot of Darth Plagueis, even though these are two separate people.

Meanwhile, here a few new screens from the film. One shows three villains in one shot!

Syko likes this

Only read if you want to be spoiled tbh.

I've discovered that Finn's jacket is a Resistance jacket, not a First Order military jacket. Poe is captured on a Star Destroyer, and Finn wants to become a good guy so he helps him escape. They both escape down to the planet below - Jakku.

There's a toy that has revealed Rey to be wielding Anakin's lightsaber while in a new outfit. The image was posted on Star Wars News, but has since been taken down.

EDIT: Now they have taken the entire article down.

EDIT 2: Found the image on facebook

11t3jb6.jpg

SPECULATION

I believe Finn uses the lightsaber against Kylo Ren due to his melee training as a stormtrooper (there's a pic of Finn going against a melee stormtrooper with Anakin's lightsaber around the net). However, Finn doesn't have the force so he gets his ass kicked. That's when Rey picks up the lightsaber to fight Kylo. I believe Rey is force sensitive.

This does however work with Harrison Ford's earlier spoiler-ish comment.

@@DrXann

That is the exact quote from The Phantom Menace video game - though never used in the film itself! =) "Why do we need that worthless creature?"

Yesterday I found a video, that some people actually saw the concept for the Leader Snoke. In a magazine there was even a picture, drawn by a person, either working on the concept or who saw the picture himself. Some claim it to be a fake, but the drawing reminds a lot of Darth Plagueis, even though these are two separate people.

Meanwhile, here a few new screens from the film. One shows three villains in one shot!

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://jkhub.org/index.php?s=af063e7e4f6750093f1a6a031c9e3fe0&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=5650&p=96501&md5check=5807cbd253f5fc8652cfe073eaccd13d&isRte=1,qWLXzJ-b4O,true,false,tx9MaiFf0xg'); //]]></script>2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Some more here

&&0

Love these screens, they look so much like the original trilogy. I hope the film is as good as the original trilogy.

Only read if you want to be spoiled tbh.

I've discovered that Finn's jacket is a Resistance jacket, not a First Order military jacket. Poe is captured on a Star Destroyer, and Finn wants to become a good guy so he helps him escape. They both escape down to the planet below - Jakku.

There's a toy that has revealed Rey to be wielding Anakin's lightsaber while in a new outfit. The image was posted on Star Wars News, but has since been taken down.

EDIT: Now they have taken the entire article down.

EDIT 2: Found the image on facebook

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://jkhub.org/index.php?s=cbdf3c285c8484415f5d5145c45b4e37&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=5650&p=96503&md5check=3fa5ca738e6f339962b5df5f94604c35&isRte=1,qWLXzJ-b4O,true,false,AdC9oLtfoag'); //]]></script>11t3jb6.jpg&&0

SPECULATION

I believe Finn uses the lightsaber against Kylo Ren due to his melee training as a stormtrooper (there's a pic of Finn going against a melee stormtrooper with Anakin's lightsaber around the net). However, Finn doesn't have the force so he gets his ass kicked. That's when Rey picks up the lightsaber to fight Kylo. I believe Rey is force sensitive.

This does however work with Harrison Ford's earlier spoiler-ish comment.

So Rey is essentially a Jaina Solo copy after all....Called it. :/

Though TBH, I've had a change of heart recently and want to give this film A CHANCE. Not gonna say I'm gonna like it, just hoping I find it okay. 

There is a special Chinese trailer, which shows even more of Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon. Also reveals some moments on other characters and places.

https://youtu.be/ECYgD7zylrE

@

There is still a speculation regarding Rey. I am positive she is of Skywalker or Solo origins, because since long ago they paid much attention to making the new generation look close to the first characters, which appeared in Star Wars. Some made pictures of Rey (Kira at the time) as a successor to Amidala, as if Rey were her granddaughter. And many other speculations. At first people claimed to be the actual Jaina Solo, though Daisy Ridley corrected the fans herself, that it is better not to listen to early spoilers, which might prove to be wrong.

There are things which bother me a lot about this movie, but we'll see, if such concerns are rightful enough.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

There is a special Chinese trailer, which shows even more of Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon. Also reveals some moments on other characters and places.

https://youtu.be/ECYgD7zylrE

@

There is still a speculation regarding Rey. I am positive she is of Skywalker or Solo origins, because since long ago they paid much attention to making the new generation look close to the first characters, which appeared in Star Wars. Some made pictures of Rey (Kira at the time) as a successor to Amidala, as if Rey were her granddaughter. And many other speculations. At first people claimed to be the actual Jaina Solo, though Daisy Ridley corrected the fans herself, that it is better not to listen to early spoilers, which might prove to be wrong.

There are things which bother me a lot about this movie, but we'll see, if such concerns are rightful enough.

Glad you share some of my concerns, @@NumberWan. But, at the very LEAST, let's try to find the movie to be Okay. Not bad, just Okay at least. :)

@

I know, that there are several aspects in the film sure to appear, which I really-really like already, even before seeing the film.

However there a few things, that made me feel uneasy. For instance what specific people in the team say about Star Wars, as they see it. One of them said, that he does't care about what fans want, while at the same time the film is made specifically for the fans, as according to the words of this very same person. Quite controversial and I must say it made me think of quite the ego in this one. It's not J.J.Abrams, if you ask me, he actually put his own opinion quite wisely and I feel the way he does about the path of Star Wars. It is also not George Lucas.

There was a good article about J.J.Abrams talking about midichlorians. While he said, they wouldn't be in the film, the reason for that is - as I said prior - because no one cares from the point of view of the Galaxy. And that he doesn't what to change any of the rules, established by George Lucas.

We can be sure about things like music, costume designs and effects. Yes, the music. You can watch a small video about John Williams working on the film and even hear some notable music score (a bit).

John Williams here

@

I know, that there are several aspects in the film sure to appear, which I really-really like already, even before seeing the film.

However there a few things, that made me feel uneasy. For instance what specific people in the team say about Star Wars, as they see it. One of them said, that he does't care about what fans want, while at the same time the film is made specifically for the fans, as according to the words of this very same person. Quite controversial and I must say it made me think of quite the ego in this one. It's not J.J.Abrams, if you ask me, he actually put his own opinion quite wisely and I feel the way he does about the path of Star Wars. It is also not George Lucas.

There was a good article about J.J.Abrams talking about midichlorians. While he said, they wouldn't be in the film, the reason for that is - as I said prior - because no one cares from the point of view of the Galaxy. And that he doesn't what to change any of the rules, established by George Lucas.

We can be sure about things like music, costume designs and effects. Yes, the music. You can watch a small video about John Williams working on the film and even hear some notable music score (a bit).

John Williams here

I just hope John Williams lives to see EPIX being made and finished. His recent health problems during TFA REALLY has me worried, as I'm sure it does for you and everyone else who loves Star Wars. :( And yeah...I hope that guy who said that eats karma. I'd like to see that article where JJ said that, because I know JJ respects George Lucas. 

Don't get me wrong, I simply interpret the words of a person, who is in reality quite devoted to Star Wars. Perhaps he has best intentions in mind and Star Wars as a whole will move towards the truthful path.

I am not sure, if this the official one, but there is one last trailer/teaser for Episode VII. It has nothing new except for a few spots, some dialogues and phrases are placed the way they should, and some scenes follow each other better here. I also like the new piece of music.

https://youtu.be/N4fA-0l8Cp8

I am putting it here not for the sake, that everyone would see it (a movie is 6 days ahead), we will see everything soon. However with so many videos seen I must say, that some are of course better than others, but I will return to them after the movie too.

What I mean is that of the old trailers for Episodes I-VI, I like Attack of the Clones the most. Not just because of a well-done work on the trailer and wisely put music, but because it has quite an interesting moment: when we see Bail Organa there, he says "They must be stopped before they're ready". In the film he refers to the droid armies of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, if I am not mistaken, while within the trailer his phrase is heard right after the show of the clones. Which implies, that the real danger is not coming from the droids and separatists, but from the "saviours"of the Republic, who betray everyone, bringing the Empire into the Galaxy.

So perhaps the trailers of Episode VII might have something in commong here.

As for John Williams, he wrote the music, but one track is already by a different actor in the film.

Most likely the music in the palace of Maz Kanata - some special music, played by the musicians there

Don't get me wrong, I simply interpret the words of a person, who is in reality quite devoted to Star Wars. Perhaps he has best intentions in mind and Star Wars as a whole will move towards the truthful path.

I am not sure, if this the official one, but there is one last trailer/teaser for Episode VII. It has nothing new except for a few spots, some dialogues and phrases are placed the way they should, and some scenes follow each other better here. I also like the new piece of music.

https://youtu.be/N4fA-0l8Cp8

I am putting it here not for the sake, that everyone would see it (a movie is 6 days ahead), we will see everything soon. However with so many videos seen I must say, that some are of course better than others, but I will return to them after the movie too.

What I mean is that of the old trailers for Episodes I-VI, I like Attack of the Clones the most. Not just because of a well-done work on the trailer and wisely put music, but because it has quite an interesting moment: when we see Bail Organa there, he says "They must be stopped before they're ready". In the film he refers to the droid armies of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, if I am not mistaken, while within the trailer his phrase is heard right after the show of the clones. Which implies, that the real danger is not coming from the droids and separatists, but from the "saviours"of the Republic, who betray everyone, bringing the Empire into the Galaxy.

So perhaps the trailers of Episode VII might have something in commong here.

As for John Williams, he wrote the music, but one track is already by a different actor in the film.

Most likely the music in the palace of Maz Kanata - some special music, played by the musicians there

I know you're excited for the movie, but I must ask here: How is The Dark Pastime coming along?

Bek likes this

@

I would rather discuss it in PD or in another topic, than here, but let us say - Episode VII is being taken into account. :)

But yes, I am very much excited with the upcoming film and I have many expectations not just for the movie itself, but for the post-watching experience too. For now I am looking into what bridge can be built between Episode VII and Episode VIII.

Bek likes this

@

I would rather discuss it in PD or in another topic, than here, but let us say - Episode VII is being taken into account. :)

But yes, I am very much excited with the upcoming film and I have many expectations not just for the movie itself, but for the post-watching experience too. For now I am looking into what bridge can be built between Episode VII and Episode VIII.

I know, but you put so much into DP. Hope everything wasn't halted. But I'll ask there.

I finally got the answer (almost) about Snoke. I will simply say, that I am glad about some aspects about him. Yet it is now funny how some theories work in favour of his persona and some do not. It surely a thing better seen in the film itself!

While digging found something else - a possible evidence of even closer connection of TFA to the whole Saga. I might be wrong, I will have to watch it in a day and then I'll post my thoughts here. :) I can be wrong, but it would be good if someone notices that during the film too.

Meanwhile the ratings for the film are quite high. Rotten Tomatoes estimated the film quite good.

I finally got the answer (almost) about Snoke. I will simply say, that I am glad about some aspects about him. Yet it is now funny how some theories work in favour of his persona and some do not. It surely a thing better seen in the film itself!

While digging found something else - a possible evidence of even closer connection of TFA to the whole Saga. I might be wrong, I will have to watch it in a day and then I'll post my thoughts here. :) I can be wrong, but it would be good if someone notices that during the film too.

Meanwhile the ratings for the film are quite high. Rotten Tomatoes estimated the film quite good.

I don't trust Rotten Tomatoes anymore after reading some of the reviews. Most of them are quite negative, stating that the movie is a rehash of A New Hope, but somehow rotten tomatoes takes that as a positive review. 

@@Noodle

Well, they aren't the only ones, who praise the film. There are certainly people who would hate it. A few people I know got a chance to see the movie on pre-premiere a few days ago and they said, they really hated it. Some said, that the film is too disneyish ("It's classic Disney stuff" - the quote). This in no way spoils the experience for me, as I am prepared for many things in the film anyway. And I know a few things I really want from Star Wars - are present in it.

Seeing a copy of a New Hope isn't what I expect to see though.

There are many positive reviews, such as from «The Hollywood Reporter» and «The Guardian», but they are not that simple. Such words as a reboot or a stylistic similarity to [steven Spielberg] have been mentioned. One of the Russian SW fans was not that positive, giving more or less a neutral review:

«Пробуждение Силы» повторило историю «Мира Юрского периода». По сюжету это продолжение, но по духу повторение пройденного. Зрелищное, с обилием отсылок к классике и рядом смачных сцен, но лишенное ярких индивидуальных черт и оригинальных сюжетных решений. Творение ремесленника, а не мастера, оставляющее весьма пресное послевкусие.

Но не как «Терминатор: Генезис», и на том спасибо.

- "The Force Awakens repeats the case of Jurassic World. According to the plot it's a continuation, but by its spirit - it's a repetition of the past events. Spectacular, with lots of references to the Classics and a few cool scenes, but lacking individuality and original plot decisions. A work of an artisan, not a master, which leaves us with a stale aftertaste".

I think there is duplicity to all these: in many cases people judge Star Wars as a film, just a film. Often aside from the Saga and of course they never connect it to the Galaxy. And I might be impartial here, because I would judge the film by the continuity, the legacy, the Galactic feel, though cultural and philosophical (as well as socio-political) aspects are of relevance to me.

Noodle likes this

I watched the film yesterday, and I must say that I really needed the time to sleep, just to let it all sink in.

The most important thing that I belive I need to say, is that; it wasn't a typical Disney film, it was 100% STARWARS.

Sure I can point out details or scenes that didnt please me, but what mostly bothered me was...

Hux - I felt that he should have been someone older, like Tarkin. Maybe even half cyborg(war wounds?)

Also that one scene where he adresses his fleets, it had a Nazi feel to it.

Adam Driver (Kylo) was also too young looking to be "their" kid. But he did a great job acting Kylo.

Now here's the clifhangger; what is the last name of Rey and is Snoke really that big or was it just a hologram?

Just because Andy Serkis said his character is big doesn't yet prove anything else that he simply knew he was

going to be big on screen. He could still just be the size of a wookiee, right? He kinda looked like the people on Utapau.

NumberWan likes this

@@Noodle

Well, they aren't the only ones, who praise the film. There are certainly people who would hate it. A few people I know got a chance to see the movie on pre-premiere a few days ago and they said, they really hated it. Some said, that the film is too disneyish ("It's classic Disney stuff" - the quote). This in no way spoils the experience for me, as I am prepared for many things in the film anyway. And I know a few things I really want from Star Wars - are present in it.

Seeing a copy of a New Hope isn't what I expect to see though.

There are many positive reviews, such as from «The Hollywood Reporter» and «The Guardian», but they are not that simple. Such words as a reboot or a stylistic similarity to [steven Spielberg] have been mentioned. One of the Russian SW fans was not that positive, giving more or less a neutral review:

- "The Force Awakens repeats the case of Jurassic World. According to the plot it's a continuation, but by its spirit - it's a repetition of the past events. Spectacular, with lots of references to the Classics and a few cool scenes, but lacking individuality and original plot decisions. A work of an artisan, not a master, which leaves us with a stale aftertaste".

I think there is duplicity to all these: in many cases people judge Star Wars as a film, just a film. Often aside from the Saga and of course they never connect it to the Galaxy. And I might be impartial here, because I would judge the film by the continuity, the legacy, the Galactic feel, though cultural and philosophical (as well as socio-political) aspects are of relevance to me.

That's why I think I'll see the movie when it's on blu-ray or something similar. The hype machine is too powerful in this digital era and that clouds most people judgement when it comes to reviewing films. I think it's just a bitter feeling that the franchise that's known for always trying new stuff (even if some people don't like it, like the prequels) is now doing rehashes because it's afraid of not doing something safe. 

NumberWan likes this