Star Wars Episode VII Discussion

I hope to see someone truly evil acting behind curtains. Whether its Supreme Leader Snoke or not, doesn't matter to me, but Andy Serkis voiced the first trailer, which sounded really scary, so there might be more to his character than we may expect.

Im still convinced that Plagueis will be part of the trilogy.

@

Well, the Plaguies' fate was sealed, when J.J.Abrams directly answered the question, whether the wise Sith Lord would be in The Force Awakens or not, and his team responded, that no, there wouldn't be Plaguies. As much as I find the character intriguing, I am positive, that his remaining in the past is for the best. His return would minimize the role of Palpatine and would also harm the Original Trilogy, as well as Plaguies would be a doubtful figure in the new trilogy...

Jolly likes this

Ok sure, then there are the Yuuzhan Vong. Which is EU stuff I guess, so it shouldn't mean anything to us anymore, but;
The highest status among the Yuuzhan Vong was SUPREME OVERLORD, sounds alot like SupremeLeader (Snoke).
J.J Abrams is creating a new story though, but who's to say he can't apply some of the EU story to this new Disney version?

Search for; Palpatine or Darth Maul  http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yuuzhan_Vong

I am thinking this new trilogy is not gonna borrow from existing content or content from the EU (even tho a large portion is non canon). Plageous didn't really have a large roll in the prequels either so it's unlikely for him to just end up being in The Force Awakens as a important character. Maybe a reference somewhere though? 

Yea i just hate this cloud of mystery. Anakin is the red line of starwars. Everything happens around him, so what else is on Lucas' mind?? Anakin died.

"There were stories about what happened"

I hope some of them will be heard on screen because a starwars film that doesnt even mention Vader/ Anakin, is not canon in my books..

Yuzhang Vong are no longer real. At least a large invasion of the Galaxy and destruction of Coruscant, as well as the death of Chewbacca - this is now absolute non-canon. However you right to assume, that J.J.Abrams and Disney as a whole might pick some of the earlier creations and re-introduce them in new EU and even in the films. Nothing prevents the existence of the Yuzhang Vong far away with some of their members arriving in the Galaxy to spy on the existing powers.

And it might be of surprise, but at least one cancelled episode of The Clone Wars TV series was supposed to include the yuzhang gong, that is that a squad of stormtroopers would encounter an unknown object, that looks like an organic asteroid with powerful weapons. Which would indicate, that the menacing creatures are already in the Galaxy, but only spying, preparing for their possible invasion. And we also know that TFA includes tiny pieces from TCW too! So think of possible links here. :)

Yea i just hate this cloud of mystery. Anakin is the red line of starwars. Everything happens around him, so what else is on Lucas' mind?? Anakin died.

"There were stories about what happened"

I hope some of them will be heard on screen because a starwars film that doesnt even mention Vader/ Anakin, is not canon in my books..

There was a rumour, that these stories would be told in some manner by yet unknown character (Max Von Sydow) to Rey. These stories would also be linked to this character, most likely, that he participated in some of the events. Nothing is known here for now.

J.J.Abrams answer some questions from different people. :D Someone didn't forget about Lost by mentioning the Smoke Monster.)))

And George Lucas is presumably one of those, who asks the questions too. :)Link (G.Lucas at 1:10)

Jared Leto also joked nicely in this video.

Also there is info on a few pivotal moments from the film. These rumors explain some moments about Luke, Maz, Ren Knights and also mention one thing, that was present in EU books.

-Maz Kanata is one of those, who retells the old stories, actually the events of the OT to the heroes - Han, Finn, and Rey

-When she tells these stories, we see flashbacks of previous events - one is how the Academy of Luke (presumably Jedi Academy?) was destroyed by knights of Ren.

So Knights of Ren are the ones responsible for the current situation of the Jedi Order in the Galaxy and Luke missing.

-When Luke puts his hand on R2 - this is the moment he tells him goodbye and disappears for the next years...

-The fate of the original lightsaber is also revealed. At one point it belonged to someone named Naka.

-The saber was used by some Clan (perhaps Naka's) to fight off the Knights of Ren (before events of TFA)

Also:

-Rey and her parents were part of the Clan, but they escaped the attack

-Shot from the trailer is the Knights of Ren after having slaughtered the Clan

-Kylo gets the Saber, but Maz steals it

-The family gets away and drops Rey off on Jakku and have never gone back for her

Source

Yoda died during Return of the Jedi.The only possible way he could appear is via a force ghost same goes for Obi-wan.The whole movie sounds like A New Hope 2.0 I would suspect the same goes for its sequels which will probably take instances from ESB and ROTJ.

NumberWan likes this

@

Most of my friends (though not as many as a year ago) believe that TFA will be absolutely terrible. They still plan to watch it though, in the cinema some days after the premiere. I think the movie will certainly have drawbacks, and some people will say a lot of things, which can be defined as criticism, and perhaps rightfully so.

Nothing can truly be of taste for everyone. I personally believe, that The Phantom Menace was much closer to the Original Trilogy than Episodes II and III, and surely more than some other stories like the Clone Wars. The film definitely had many things, true to original Star Wars canon, even though some designs (like Naboo architecture, Galactic Senate, Trade Federation) didn't look like what we had already been familiar with.

So time will show up, what TFA truly stands for. For now all the joy voiced here and there is that most fans - both enjoying SW and disappointed ones - felt when seeing only some of the familiar images, very close and dear to them, which was enough and unexpected at this stage. It is the reason why many are so excited.

I disagree. I think that Revenge of the Sith was the closest to the original trilogy (and there are many minor things scattered throughout, like the scene on the Republic Cruiser, which is very akin to the Death Star Throne Room). It had its problems yes, mostly issues with tone, lightsaber fights which drag on forever, and the somewhat random inclusion of General Grievous, but it's honestly the best of the three in my opinion.

I don't think TFA will be as bad as people think. I think a lot of people wrote it off the moment they heard Disney was going to be spearheading the project, but in my mind, Disney being in charge of the project is not a bad thing. I am cautiously optimistic that it will be a good film. But I still want to see it.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

@

Most of my friends (though not as many as a year ago) believe that TFA will be absolutely terrible. They still plan to watch it though, in the cinema some days after the premiere. I think the movie will certainly have drawbacks, and some people will say a lot of things, which can be defined as criticism, and perhaps rightfully so.

Nothing can truly be of taste for everyone. I personally believe, that The Phantom Menace was much closer to the Original Trilogy than Episodes II and III, and surely more than some other stories like the Clone Wars. The film definitely had many things, true to original Star Wars canon, even though some designs (like Naboo architecture, Galactic Senate, Trade Federation) didn't look like what we had already been familiar with.

So time will show up, what TFA truly stands for. For now all the joy voiced here and there is that most fans - both enjoying SW and disappointed ones - felt when seeing only some of the familiar images, very close and dear to them, which was enough and unexpected at this stage. It is the reason why many are so excited.

*Shakes head.* Well, it's not Star Wars TO ME. Along with MANY OTHERS who share my mindset. Because the EU is Star Wars to me and them. And I'm NOT going to see TFA. Nothing will convince me or them otherwise. You want to? Go ahead. Just don't blame me when the hype puts your expectations too high and you come back disappointed. If you end up liking it, more power to you. Me? I'm gonna stick to the EU. 

Well then you are lost !!

I could say the same about YOU....30+ Years of stories wiped out and for WHAT...? Yeah...I'm one of THOSE fans. Those loyal to the EU. Don't like it? Tough luck, kid. Let's just not start fights because I brought up a good point: Overhype KILLS a movie when you see it for real because it sets expectations TOO HIGH. All you're doing is repeating history by not thinking and realizing "Wait...this happened with the Prequels...I think I should be skeptic at best.".

I quoted Obi-Wan from Ep3. Wasnt a firestarter.

It's natural to be excited about something, and without a doubt, dissappointment can follow. So I'd say its people like you who ruin the fun. I'm already well past the skeptic phase (Disney ). Being disappointed by one detail or two shouldnt yet make you walk out tthe premiere, have a religion for EU if you're so down about it.