Master Server list Down.

When did they consider shutting it down? just curious. Alot of people still play so I don't know why they would consider doing that.

Because it takes resources to keep it going. It would free up the resources or other things to allow them to use for new games.

Because it takes resources to keep it going. It would free up the resources or other things to allow them to use for new games.

Which would, essentially, finish off JKA for good if it was shut down if it wasn't for the JKHub Master server. Unless of course you manually enter the IP of the server you want to join. Although, new players probably wouldn't take the time to look into why no servers are being listed. I guess at that point it would turn into a single-player game only.

Nah people would still play it (like they are right now without the server list) but there would be no fresh meat which would make the game die much faster. "Competitive" tdm and ctf players don't really get affected anyway because most people join directly through IP or bookmarked their servers into the favorites.

I'm pretty sure the master list would be already down for years if it wasn't for the release on steam

Something we could consider to do when they stop hosting for good is to make an unofficial 1.1.1 patch that makes the game listen to the main server, and if offline listen to JKHubs main server. This site is pretty high in Google and new players would find such a patch pretty fast.

I think Raven wouldn't care if someone else would take the privilege to host a main server in such a situation.

Vartex likes this

Exactly, that's what OpenJK is, but more. A big patch with an abundance of fixes that people have been wanting since JKA came out.

I think the main reason people are hesitant to use it is because it's a separate .exe/.app instead of a patch that you can install without much fuss.

Also, slightly off topic but related, openjk.org needs a homepage. I've heard from a few people that they have tried to go there but are confused when there's no page and don't see the little message. If anything it should redirect to the GitHub page. This would help getting people to the right places easier.

Also, slightly off topic but related, openjk.org needs a homepage. I've heard from a few people that they have tried to go there but are confused when there's no page and don't see the little message. If anything it should redirect to the GitHub page. This would help getting people to the right places easier.

We don't have a website developer with enough time to do the homepage. I've redirected it to the GitHub repository for now :)

Circa likes this

We don't have a website developer with enough time to do the homepage. I've redirected it to the GitHub repository for now :)

I'd be willing to get a simple HTML a page set up for you. Wouldn't need to be fancy, just have a page to explain the project, a FAQ, then links to the forum, builds, and GH pages.

Futuza likes this

It was done by my friend-idiot. I tried to talk him not to attack it, but he has done it and keep going this way. Well, as matter of fact it doesn't change anything, the problem is that masterserver of Ravensoft is really weak and vulnerable and it's really sad. Any statements from Ravensoft? Can we contact with them and help to make server more stable and protected?