New Han Solo model?

Hey guys, I want to talk about the idea of a new Han Solo model. I am no modder, let alone modeler myself so I can only cross my fingers something like this would happen.

I doubt I am the only one thinking that there should be a new Han Solo model. The only one out there is the Major Clod model which is extremely dated, from 2002.

I find it looks beefy and well, just looks ugly. Compared to newer models like Toshi's Luke Skywalker, or even some of Hapslash's work that is barely older than Major Clod's han solo model. It is just outdated and since it is Han Solo we are talking about, should get a newer, better looking model. 

Link to han solo model: http://jkhub.org/files/file/827-han-solo/

Link to some of hapslash's work if you are interested in seeing it: http://hapslash.tripod.com

Boothand and Cerez like this

I was considering it recently but, well to put it bluntly, I don't like my hard work having to be reduced to such low low quality.  It's something I have to get used to I suppose...

I do have the experience when it comes to sculpting in ZBrush and Mudbox but I just think it's a waste to spend so much time sculpting it only to have it reduced to something sub-par.

I was considering it recently but, well to put it bluntly, I don't like my hard work having to be reduced to such low low quality.  It's something I have to get used to I suppose...

I do have the experience when it comes to sculpting in ZBrush and Mudbox but I just think it's a waste to spend so much time sculpting it only to have it reduced to something sub-par.

It's not a waste, the sculpts help a lot to shape and texture it. The quality doesn't really have to be so low just because they are low-poly. Check this, for example: http://jkhub.org/topic/3686-the-many-faces-of-rax-joris/?p=53989.

Also, with rend2 and normal mapping, things have the potential to look way more impressive and detailed, as if they were actually high-poly models.

DT., Bek, AshuraDX and 1 other like this

Wow, that skinning/tweaking job looks amazing! o.O High talent here.

Boothand's got a point. HapSlash's models are great for a reason. They are low poly, but they have poly where it counts and the skinning on them is outstanding. Just because a model is lower in detail does not make it necessarily worse quality. Especially if you take the stylised approach into account.

(Not that I'm one to lecture, but I thought I'd put it out there…  :ph34r:)

This is where I stopped... it's pretty rough and still needs a lot of work.  I was planning to make a Hoth and Endor version (with long camo coat)...

Han_Solo_WIP_zps249f5087.jpg

Looks awesome, my only suggestion is to work on the hair a bit. Looks nice though.

Toshi left JKA awhile ago, after finishing Anakin.

@@DT85 you should ask for any of his WIPs that he doesn't plan on using. :P I bet the has a few.

Why did toshi leave, I heard he got banned off of JKfiles or something like that? any way, he had some really nice models, shame he left JKA modeling. 

You should ask Toshi to make the Maul brothers for me. Cuz, you know.

Jk. (No, do it. Nah. But really)

But anyway, I would like to meet Toshi. If maybe you could PM his contact info, it would be... it's just, he's one of my favorite modelers and I'd really appreciate the chance to meet him.

• 3 weeks later...