What's your favorite memory playing JK:DF2 and/or MotS?

Like the title says. Discuss

For me, it was the excitement I felt the first few times I played through the demo of Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. It was level 9 Fuel station launch. Just this amazing experience, the wonder I felt, and the fun of using force powers in a game for the first time. This was before I became the massive Star Wars geek I now am, back when I didn't even watch the films very much and had not yet committed them to memory. I was just so in awe of Star Wars after getting my hands on this game. It also ended up being the first video game I purchased with my own money as a kid. After that I became hooked on SW I started dreaming up stories and characters and reveling in the mysteries of the ancient sith and I soaked up every drop of SW knowledge I could find. Nowadays nobody will play me in SW trivial persuit because I always win. I have to throw the game at times just so others can enjoy playing it.

NumberWan likes this

Reminds me I have yet to finish MotS... As for DF2: uhm... I don't remember much. I remember an elevator that moved diagonally, probably on Nar Shaddaa, which I found interesting since a func_door in JK2/JKA can't move in that direction. The stuff you pay attention to as a mapper...

DF1 on the other hand I remember more clearly, probably in parts thanks due to the mod that recreated the beginning.

NumberWan likes this

This one?

Yes, it was not only tedious navigating the beams without falling to your death but in some areas the level design was extremely lazy, the kind of thing an amateur would do for practice but wouldn't release due to embarrassment.

Most of the game was designed fairly well (though I'd have liked to have seen a little bit more thought put into the level designs) but that particular level was so poorly done I usually either skip it or turn on cheats and fly through it.

Yes, it was not only tedious navigating the beams without falling to your death but in some areas the level design was extremely lazy, the kind of thing an amateur would do for practice but wouldn't release due to embarrassment.

Are you confusing level design with level art? This level wasn't necessarily designed any worse than the other levels. I can cite design mistakes in other levels that are more severe, however it's kind of a silly point to talk about considering this came out in 1997. 

The first time I found out about mods. This was the first time I ever heard of such a thing. 

I was looking for cheat codes online and saw a grappling hook mod. I was all like 'WTF? there is no grappling hook in this game.'

A hop, skip, and a jump and I found myself on Massassi.net.

OMG! It is possible to change the game!

Sidenote: Saber Battle X was the best mod ever! That was where I started tweaking code and animations. 

PK_Azlon likes this

My favorite memory was that is was real 3d models and no sprites! 

Maahahaha. Yes, this. I thought the graphics were pretty pro in 97.

My second favorite memory were the (need name) evil lizards level in the Valley of the Jedi leading up to Boc. I remember that part always scared the shit out of me as a kid because I never wanted to get into the pitch black room with the two giant lizards.

PK_Azlon likes this

Maahahaha. Yes, this. I thought the graphics were pretty pro in 97.

My second favorite memory were the (need name) evil lizards level in the Valley of the Jedi leading up to Boc. I remember that part always scared the shit out of me as a kid because I never wanted to get into the pitch black room with the two giant lizards.

Yeah that one with the Kell Dragons had me a bit on edge too LOL! On a side note, they are the smaller cousins of Krayt Dragons.

Every game left an very good and deep impression, which I won't forget even decades later. Dark Forces was the game, which was the favourite of my brother and his friends. I watched, as he played mission after mission, but the only one I tried at the time, was the Talay Base. I still remember the houses and the burnt bodies of brown skeletons, and white troopers. When I asked, what really happened there, my brother said "Darktroopers". That's how I learnt of the EU. Later on I wouldn't play anything else, except maybe a few levels of Rebel Assault video game, which is only scarcely remembered by fans these days.

Aside from different games of 1997, Dark Forces II was the one, which make me rethink my thoughts on Star Wars and influenced some aspects of my interests towards drawing and making stories. It was also the first time, when I asked a question, why won't they make a new film after Return of the Jedi.

Dark Forces II was such a captivating experience, that I spent quite a lot of time just playing through the first two levels. I had action figures at the time, and I replayed the events of the game with them also. Home of Morgan Katarn and Barons Hed are the most favoutire locations for me (maybe because they takes place in sort of open space and daytime with some grass, etc). But to be frank - I enjoyed all of the levels. The Valley of the Jedi too, though the maps are pretty creepy there. But seeing white stormtroopers with red-to-yellow walls and reliefs in the background.

MOTS was the game, I finished only year later, like in 2005 or so. Back in 1997 or 1998 my brother bought a bad disc with Russian unprofessional voiceover, where Ka'Pa the Hutt was called a frog by Mara Jade (instead of a slug :) ). Shadows of the Empire was also quite a pleasant surpize, as well as Rogue Squadron 3D.

The only other game of late, which left the same feeling and the desire to replay it again and again, is KOTOR. But I've mentioned that before and often.

Forgot to add: a friend of mine, who had never showed particular interest in Star Wars, really enjoyed this game. She replayed it several times, tuskens became her favourites.

Numfast and GamingPrince83 like this

My favourite memories are the intro in the Df2 Demo and also the demo level Fuel Station,

I also enjoyed fighting the rancor in mots and the Levels on Dromund Kaas, i literally felt like i was on a planet that is strong in the force,

the vornskrs. I could go on, but these are really my greatest memories.  

I actually just reconfigured my old 2009 Mac mini running windows XP via boot camp today so I can play it. My mac pro is apparently too new and the graphics card was incompatible even with the steam version of the game running on xp in a virtual machine. It would either crash or show a black screen. So I dusted off the mini and set it all up and now I can run the original game (I have the original disks from when I bought it in 97) full screen and everything is perfect. ^_^

I actually just reconfigured my old 2009 Mac mini running windows XP via boot camp today so I can play it. My mac pro is apparently too new and the graphics card was incompatible even with the steam version of the game running on xp in a virtual machine. It would either crash or show a black screen. So I dusted off the mini and set it all up and now I can run the original game (I have the original disks from when I bought it in 97) full screen and everything is perfect. ^_^

What Mac Pro do you have? And what VM were you using?