Malak Reskin

So, I decided start a small reskin project of Malak. I'm planning to reskin it all from scratch, but I'll probably end up photosourcing some textures as well. So far, all I have done is the head. The mask currently has a photosourced metal texture which I am going to change. The face is textured completely by me, but I made an outline of the tattoos beforehand, and then textured them, but I may make my own tattoos for it later.

Thoughts so far?

Front

Screenshot%202014-01-31%2011.49.57.png

Side

Screenshot%202014-01-31%2011.50.28.png

Back

Screenshot%202014-01-31%2011.50.48.png

EDIT: How do I get that green WIP tag next to the topic title?

It isn't actually a port as far as I'm aware, the model had ported textures, but I believe the model was made from scratch.

Source:

Comment #22:

http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Malak_reskin_by_Tobe;112495x#1976595

Tobe,

You might not have to be so quick to have the file removed. At any rate, the original model was done by ksk h20, the same guy who did the Grayfox model and some skins that are available on this website. The model is available at LucasFiles here:

http://lucasfiles.com/?s=&action=file&id=488

And here's a thread from LucasForums discussing the model:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121464

From what ksk h20 says in there, it isn't a direct port rip off of the Malak model from the original game, he DID change some body parts on it (and the head is bigger on this one as opposed to the direct port for that matter), so it isn't a direct port of the original model; most ports I have seen have the hands looking kind of pointy and they look stiff; this one is definitely not stiff looking like a port. The only thing that was ported as he says was the textures he used as he says he couldn't skin it the way he wanted to (a cop-out, I know, but...). Still, it's a good skin pack, whether or not it stays here or not.

hmm, well the head doesn't really look anything like Malak's in kotor, and the shoulders look more broad, but that could be from trying to rig it to jka i guess. Either way, it doesn't particularly bother me if the model is ported XD

See? lol

Only 20 minutes of work on top of a base mesh I created for easy character designing

Needs to be worked on sure, but 20 minutes lol. And A quick touch up and unwrap and you will have a non ported model

fsoMS6C.jpg

you can skin it while I rig it since I'm already riggin blackbeard and am in the mood

Unfortunately for everyone, this will be the last Request I fill for a while as I really need to get back to my mod. I will take another break in a few months maybe and fill a few more and possibly dabble a bit in between but let's not request any more playermodels out of ol chalkbone for a while as I have plenty I need to do XD

therfiles and Omicron like this

Wow, you didn't have to go to the trouble of making a malak model y'know :P But very impressive for 20mins work I should add too. Problem is is that I have started other parts of malak's body already, so I would have to transfer textures over which could be a pain, rather than having to start again.

I think Omicron's skin is alright. The facial textures could use some work and there's some visible stretching on the arms (probably more of a fault of the model rather than the skin)

I like the design. There's something that seems...off and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Omicron likes this

I think Omicron's skin is alright. The facial textures could use some work and there's some visible stretching on the arms (probably more of a fault of the model rather than the skin)

I like the design. There's something that seems...off and I can't quite put my finger on it.

There isn't much that can be done with the stretching as far as I know, sadly. Is it the face that looks off, or the actual body?

What's wrong with @@Psyk0Sith 's Malak model (which includes both a Jedi and Sith skin file)???

I didn't know Psyko had a malak model o.o

Like I said last night @@Omicron, it's a good start but his face will need a lot of work, defining features and working on a skin texture etc. I can't give any tips on that as I would create something much worse, but as you said this should be a good one to practice on and I look forward to seeing what you can come up with.

Maybe also try adding some more detail to the body, as the texture is very repetitive; add some visibility of muscularity showing through the body textures perhaps so it doesn't look so bland? Or fabric textures I don't know, just try working on one part at a time so you don't go overload trying to make everything look right at the same time in your first skin from scratch attempt and blow up :P

Omicron likes this

What's wrong with @@Psyk0Sith 's Malak model (which includes both a Jedi and Sith skin file)???

I didn't know this either...has it been released? I don't see it anywhere...

See? lol

Only 20 minutes of work on top of a base mesh I created for easy character designing

Needs to be worked on sure, but 20 minutes lol. And A quick touch up and unwrap and you will have a non ported model

fsoMS6C.jpg

you can skin it while I rig it since I'm already riggin blackbeard and am in the mood

Unfortunately for everyone, this will be the last Request I fill for a while as I really need to get back to my mod. I will take another break in a few months maybe and fill a few more and possibly dabble a bit in between but let's not request any more playermodels out of ol chalkbone for a while as I have plenty I need to do XD

Woah! Great start :D

@@Omicron: Looking great! What exactly is your goal/design you are hoping to achieve? What's the theme? I can't quite tell...

The model itself used here is ported for the most part. It shares the exact same UVW layout as KoToR. The hands look to be JKA's though. Not at all trashing Omicron's work, just giving info about the model used here for JKHub staff.