R.M.S. Titanic - AngelModder

The lighting and geometry I see in that interior shot could use a lot more polish. It looks like a good block in though.

Do you have any further shots of the interior? Are you mostly done? Will you include some more detailed shots of the decking as well please?

Ill admit some thing here, the mapping is actually all running on _CS 0  on the actual ship... Here is why and please don't judge me for this. My computer cant handle lighting this and it was the only way to get it in game using my computer. In fact when I tried I burnt out half a gig of ram. Truth be told my computer just could not handle trying to light this the way I wanted. So Ive made do. I will post more interior shots soon. That pic of the stair case was indeed quiet old. But As this is sort of a big deal, and in many ways close to my heart and my families history, the big reveal is sort of a precious and anticipated moment for me. 

believe me if I had a top line pc it could do a full normal lightmap but sadly my pc can not do it.

That's a lot of reading I had to do :lol:  :lol: :lol:  

I love the map btw. FPS or no FPS it's lovely for role-play. This is gonna be one of two maps I'm waiting for to release (Other being MoonDog's Ven Sultra or something like that lol).

You have me itching for more...the only other purely ship map produced was some Pirates of the Caribbean ship that was all blocky and weird, but I enjoyed that all the same!

What for rig do you have then ??

I use a acer 5742 laptop with 4 gigs ram crap graphics and i3 processor. Myd esktop is a old pentium 4 so its not much better since it only has 3 gigs ram... Only plus side to it is it wont overheat like the laptop will XD! But it downright wont compile anything! XD LOL

I use a acer 5742 laptop with 4 gigs ram crap graphics and i3 processor. Myd esktop is a old pentium 4 so its not much better since it only has 3 gigs ram... Only plus side to it is it wont overheat like the laptop will XD! But it downright wont compile anything! XD LOL

I feel your pain, I've mapped some portions of my Aurelia map on an old Pentium 4 with Windows XP, so more then 3 GB wasn't used either. Perhaps I can help you out with the compiling, since I have an I7 CPU with more then enough RAM installed . . .

AngelModder likes this

Signature.jpg

I feel your pain, I've mapped some portions of my Aurelia map on an old Pentium 4 with Windows XP, so more then 3 GB wasn't used either. Perhaps I can help you out with the compiling, since I have an I7 CPU with more then enough RAM installed . . .

That would be awesome! but I will probably worry about titanic after the first of the years + I have to move in February. So atm I am trying to finish arrevanous and my skins. :D!

Try using GTK Radiant with 512MB and a 1.1ghz pentium III and Win 2k.  Its amazing!

I know! What GFX card did you have ??

I had to revert back to my old P2 with a Voodoo 3 card and tried some mapping on it. Never ... ever ... try ... that !! Though, I have to say that it worked faster then my old Geforce 256 card . . .  :/

That would be awesome! but I will probably worry about titanic after the first of the years + I have to move in February. So atm I am trying to finish arrevanous and my skins. :D!

That's OK. Just give us a holler and we'll make a full compile for your map . . .

AngelModder likes this

Signature.jpg

• 4 months later...

He is currently moving house, and has had to sort alot of things out, so it may be quite a while until it is released.

Ah, thanks for clarifying, I had no idea he was moving.

Its been over a year (although it doesn't exactly feel like it) since the last post. It was supposed to be released on April 10th, 2013 but it wasn't. Any updates @@AngelModder?

• 8 months later...

I just want every one to know this project is NOT dead, just been going through some major overhauls. I thought it time to finally share some of the techniques I'll be incoperating into it to help the FPS issues as well as accuracy.

Fixes - 1 : The first and foremost was to condense several brushed areas into larger pieces using singular textures. A good example of this would be the deck/floors of the boat deck and A deck. You will notice as you ran around on the previous version that there was a darker wooden trim next to the deck housing (walls) etc, this originally was done with separate brushes, now it is done with 1 brush per 50X93.5 ft (25 for angling near the engines).

Fixes - 2 : Allot of work is being put into working the vis on this map, I'm no expert so I would ask for help if any will offer who feel they could take on the technical task this presents. what "I've" been doing for the moment is to go through and detail/structural brush every thing from bow to stern.

Fixes - 3 : After the death of my former computer I was forced to DE-compile my previous work to retrieve it. This sadly means we've lost the interior I had designed. However depending on the situation of the VIS I may rebuild some of it. Or at-least the Iconic Grand stair case and dinning room. Luckily since allot of the detailed structure was made of patches not allot of texture re-allighntment has to be done, still quiet a bit though.

Fixes - 4 : At the moment I am replacing allot of the old textures with new realistic HD ones. I always felt the old ones just screamed bland. Hopefully in the next day or so I should have a a few photos of this. This includes a new hull texture, which believe me when you see the difference you'll shite your self. LOL

Fixes - 5 : With the release of Titanic Honor and Glory hanging over my head I felt it necessary in the time this will have any lime light to let it provide as much as possible. in the final phase you will be able to select certain objects all over the ship and be told details about the. Originally I was going to do this as "Print" however I've decided it will be done sort of like a toggable hologram. Now I want to say I do not knock the Honor and Glory team nor there work, im acctually VERY excited about it. just disapointed I wasn't ever able to do the same I guess.

Fixes - 6 : Brushes every where are being fixed and cleaned up. This will be a ongoing effort till the very end, I know my brush work, but we're ever learning right? Especially with a complex structure like this were only 80 feet of it are level the rest angles in some way shape or form.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The planned release date for the final cut is April 10th 2015.

If any one is insterested in getting involved please hit me up on here with some references to your work/skill. Let's show them one last time what JKA can do!

One of the most notable thing's that will be different in this one as I've mentioned will be the texture's used. Here is an example of a window texture I just completed. took about an hour in Photoshop to retrace the design etc, but it came out nicely. (I had to trace Park's Stephenson work as to use his actual photo would have caused copyright issues). These will be seen in the area shown in picture two. Im actually about to begin replacing the decking texture's as well as the steel used on the superstructure, this will allow me to condense down using markers to figure out where windows will be rather then cutting the brushes for each window. A cleaver trick I learned ages ago but it's time consuming to apply. But in this case with it currently sitting at around 10k brushes I think theirs room for improvement. All i can say is, get ready in the next couple of days to see some DRASTIC changes, in these shot's you will notice the world around it has been erased, the original while effective was ugly imo I never had the time to go in and polish it up. Another technique I will be adjusting for the final cut.
10934139_772166386170156_531169983429101

10869462_772145956172199_839138558816662

Update for the night before I sleep, untop of over 200 or more brushes being fixed etc I've began replacing the old Hull texture with my own work. I've also started on the new decking method and manage to create the proper texture for the privacy screens on A deck. Still a LONG way to go till April, but it's already coming along nicely, a LOT of Photoshop work.10928897_772285619491566_494563834599661

10866053_772285579491570_512020450917682

DT. likes this

Uhhm dude Ive been mapping and modding since JKO XD! I learned mapping for JKO/JA from darth G and Lizard King... Half the tuts that were on map-craft I re-wrote when he was putting up the site :o.. So Im not exactly a new hot shot... I was once part of JKG, until SJC pissed me off with his work ethic LOL.

I do remember you on teamspeak with Lizard and Keith. But let us get one thing straight, You contributed well on the site, but you didnt rewrite half of the tutorials, cause thats what Keith did (i refer DarthG to keith since I know him like that). You may have done some, but most came from map-center and Shadriss's website which G rewrote with Lk. So dont take credit on something you didnt do. Just state you contributed snd help expand the knowledge base, but dont say you rewrote half of the tuts, cause you simply didnt.

Sorry for the late responds, and yes you had back in 05 the idea of the titanic, since i saw a very early draft. Glad you pushed the idea through and made it anyway. Like the WIP pictures

OK so to clarify yea I exaggerated but mate this was NOT the place to post this if you had an issue. Next time speak to me in person to understand the context of how I meant it. And to be fair I consider having found better ways to do the shit on map-craft and having rewritten more then half of them for my own site makes it a true statement in many ways. In fact theirs very few of us with a collective knowledge these days so try to remember that before you go attempting to damage one of us in such a way. @@Lazarus

Any ways. Moving on!

AngelModder

I dont damage you in any way, I just state what is in my view over this.

If you rewrote them and put them on your site, good and fine with me. Perfect even, to keep the knowledge in tact. Cheers even to that! Thumbs-up even! 

I ll drop the issue, it just caught me when I was scrolling through the thread (recognized your name, hence i checked it) this morning early and seeing now its a statement made more than a 1,5 year ago, I kinda feel like a retard digging up an old issue. 

Anyway, moving on, I see you made some great improvements. I remember you having issues with the hull because of the size. How is the FPS in the map now? Your WIPS look amazing.

AngelModder likes this