Star Wars Rebels

Surely! I check every episode of Rebels, though it doesn't captivate me in the way TCW once managed (especially with later seasons).

I am glad there was no confrontation between Vader and Maul – it would be too cheesy, as this has been in minds of fans for a decade now. In all other ways the episode was very intense, quite mysterious, captivating and left us both with questions and answers.

Before that there were two mini-news from Dave Filoni: first is that the Grand Inquisitor is actually the one of the Temple guards, who were present at Ahsoka's trial back in TCW. Secondly they want to bring Rex closer to the Episodes. For instance there is a big discussion about one of the Rebels in Episode VI Return of the Jedi, actually looking like older Rex during battle of Endor.

It was an epic ending of Season 2 and I already can't wait for the Season 3 to begin. At some point i was really on the line, that Ezra will become a Sith and will kill both Kanan and Ashoka together with his new 'old' master, but the ending was really emotional and I do admit, for first time in my life I have CRIED on the ending of Part 2 on last episode!

SPOILER

The strong confrontation of a former padawan and master was really strong. Also i am glad to see, that whoever made Vader's damaged design did an amazing job, because we see he has an eyebrow (something that connects with the original 1983 version of Anakin after Luke defeated him and not without them as seen in Episode 3 or the later editions of ROTJ when they removed his eyebrows).

On the other hand that ending was amaze*lls of showing each character on his own way. Even keeping a door open for Darth Maul to come again in Season 3, since he managed to leave with the Inquisitor's TIE and an interesting question that comes just when Ezra opens the Sith holocron and his eyes turned red.  

Ezra's eyes didn't turn red at all. It was red lightning from the holocron that partially lit his eyes. Visually, they weren't dark side eyes at all.

Anyway, this was the first SWR episode to date that I admit was worth my time, despite bullshit like the return of special someone and helisabers. Congrats to Disney?

Yeah, those helisabers--I just couldn't take them seriously. I mean they look so silly.  :D

With that said,

Maul was quite skilled at his old age. He took out two of the Inquisitors and blinded Kanan. The Vader and Ahsoka battle was quite suspenseful. I was almost certain that Ahsoka was going to get killed, but she's still alive.

It's not looking good for Ezra. I wonder what Maul is going to do now?

Fuse294 and Darth Sion like this

I watched a small review of the episode, and I am glad some people noticed, that the Sith Holocron has a female voice. If we look behind the scenes, that is the voice of the same actress, who voiced Assaj Ventress for TCW. However I am positive it's not her holocron.

I am thinking of Darth Traya actually. The temple looks nothing like what we see in KOTOR 2, and I would prefer an open speculation to that (another planet in the system, a new temple, a reconstructed Trayus academy, etc). It would be quite symbolic, if that holocron was that of Kreia, who despised both the Jedi and the Sith a lot. For now the voice is simply called "The Presence". Dave Filoni said, that he has a name for the creator of the holocron, but he won't reveal it right now.

I hoped Maul would be killed in this episode and finally mark his final calm down as an overused and overcharged character in Star Wars. The only reason, why Maul doesn't confront Vader in this episode is that we see so many battles already, that they want something special left for Season 3. No doubt the conflict would show up later on.

Yeah I agree, maul is now overused. I liked it better when I thought he died by obiwan.

I have to disagree on that one, DT. Personally, I think Count Dooku felt somewhat out of place in the Prequels. Well, maybe not out of place, as such. But I think the majority would've preferred Maul to have gotten more screen time and a bigger push. I, personally would've liked to have seen Maul being the one killed off in Ep. III, rather than Dooku. It would've made more sense to have Maul and Sidious as master and apprentice from Ep. I through III. Then obviously have Palpatine/Sidious and Anakin/Vader from Ep. III, onwards. But Maul definitely deserved more than one movie, there's no doubt about that.

While most of you wouldn't agree with that but I would love to have Maul survive Rebels (talking about season 3) because he was such a wasted opportunity in episode 1.

It would be really stupid if they bring Maul back for Rebels just to kill him off once again. Him being the only former apprentice of Sidious who actually survived.

And he really kicked some ass in the finale even considering his high age.

Darth Sion likes this

Actually that's the point, that Maul had a small, but shadowy, even mysterious appearance in Episode I. I like the idea, that he is probably the only lead to the old Sith heritage, that'd been in talks long before The Phantom Menace, including the game of Mysteries of the Sith. Sidious was on the contrary someone, who could see, that the old concept of the Sith would't work. And differed from the old Sith. If we take the old canon into account (even today), then Palpatine managed to accomplish something far superior than anyone of the old Sith could imagine. I always felt, that Maul was part of a scheme quite different from what Sidious made possible by the time of Episode II.

Count Dooku was very much in his place. He doesn't look like a Sith, but rather like an aristocrat. He doesn't even behave like Sith, more like a political figure and a leader, and he actually was all these things. Darth Maul wouldn't be able to pull anything like that from the situation in the Galaxy. He is a typical Sith assassin, a man of a few words and more of actions without witness. I also don't believe him to be a manipulative figure, more like an Executor. A concept, that was perfect for Sidious at the time.

Tyranus served all his needs too, but as a new pawn of different kind. More than that Dooku is a depiction of what was really taking place by the time of Episode II. He is Sith, but in the beginning you doubt yourself, that he is a bad guy. And the Jedi too. His appearance and role show, that the line between darkness and light was significantly eroded by Palpatine's scheme on both sides, something unbelievable by people like Valorum and the Jedi back during the crisis on Naboo.

And I find it remarkable to see, that Vader and Maul never meet (well, if ignoring a few seconds in TPM). That Darth Vader became the most feared person in the Galaxy and somehow triumphed over all other predecessors, and at the same time failed, where Maul might have been victorious.

Actually I think, that should Maul have survived the Naboo battle, the Clone Wars might have not happen, and Sidious would't even need Vader. Or at least Vader would have been very different. I also feel, that in this regard Maul and Vader's images could also be mixed and look too much alike, what would diminish the unique style of each of them.

Still I like the way Maul acted in Rebels. But for me this will forever be a different Maul. Only a shadow in the flesh, but no true Darth Maul, who was on Naboo decades prior.

Actually that's the point, that Maul had a small, but shadowy, even mysterious appearance in Episode I. I like the idea, that he is probably the only lead to the old Sith heritage, that'd been in talks long before The Phantom Menace, including the game of Mysteries of the Sith. Sidious was on the contrary someone, who could see, that the old concept of the Sith would't work. And differed from the old Sith. If we take the old canon into account (even today), then Palpatine managed to accomplish something far superior than anyone of the old Sith could imagine. I always felt, that Maul was part of a scheme quite different from what Sidious made possible by the time of Episode II.

Count Dooku was very much in his place. He doesn't look like a Sith, but rather like an aristocrat. He doesn't even behave like Sith, more like a political figure and a leader, and he actually was all these things. Darth Maul wouldn't be able to pull anything like that from the situation in the Galaxy. He is a typical Sith assassin, a man of a few words and more of actions without witness. I also don't believe him to be a manipulative figure, more like an Executor. A concept, that was perfect for Sidious at the time.

Tyranus served all his needs too, but as a new pawn of different kind. More than that Dooku is a depiction of what was really taking place by the time of Episode II. He is Sith, but in the beginning you doubt yourself, that he is a bad guy. And the Jedi too. His appearance and role show, that the line between darkness and light was significantly eroded by Palpatine's scheme on both sides, something unbelievable by people like Valorum and the Jedi back during the crisis on Naboo.

And I find it remarkable to see, that Vader and Maul never meet (well, if ignoring a few seconds in TPM). That Darth Vader became the most feared person in the Galaxy and somehow triumphed over all other predecessors, and at the same time failed, where Maul might have been victorious.

Actually I think, that should Maul have survived the Naboo battle, the Clone Wars might have not happen, and Sidious would't even need Vader. Or at least Vader would have been very different. I also feel, that in this regard Maul and Vader's images could also be mixed and look too much alike, what would diminish the unique style of each of them.

Still I like the way Maul acted in Rebels. But for me this will forever be a different Maul. Only a shadow in the flesh, but no true Darth Maul, who was on Naboo decades prior.

The enemies in the prequels were mirrors of Vader's different character traits. Maul was the brute strenght, Dooku was the evil noble, and Grievous was the cyborg.

NumberWan likes this

Shouldn't Vaders face be burned from his duel with Obi-wan since Ashoka destroyed a piece of his helmet during their duel.The season 2 finale was pretty good but Maul got away again, Kanan is blind and taking influences from Rahm Kota.Ezra got his hands on a Sith Holocron which will probably make him turn in season three.Now we have four dead Inquisitors. Where's the second, third, fourth, and sixth of the siblings styled ranking system of the canon Inquisitorious.

NumberWan likes this

Things about "Twilight of the Apprentice" that I liked.

Mauls apparent frailness which gave the illusion he was no longer a great Sith Warrior, only to jump in a few minutes later with a Staff ignited and knock all three Inquisitors around like rag dolls, something he does a few times, making it clear he is just as deadly as ever despite age, managing to kill Seventh Sister (who he easily subdued with Force Choke) and Fifth Brother with ease when the time came to stop stalling.

Maul mentions his Mother (Talzin) and how he was taken from her as a child.

The "Duel of the Fates" music intro when Maul turns on Kanan and Ahsoka, nice little poke towards Phantom Menace.

The repeated reference to the Rule of the Two, a Master and Apprentice.

Sith Code reference that Passion grants strength, which in turn grants power.

Constant ominous lighting throughout the story, with the only real light coming from either the Battlestation or their Lightsabers.

Mauls new Lightsaber Staff design, from the moment I saw the stick I knew it was really a Lightsaber. (A similar thing was done before: Tera Sinube)

Nika Futtermans voice acting for the Holocron, dunno if that was an intended nod towards Ventress but it was certainly one I approved of.

Maul referencing Savage' death at the hands of Palpatine on Mandalore.

Maul is referred to by the Eighth Brother as a 'Shadow', I read that as 'A shadow of what he once was'

Maul made it clear he was no longer a Darth, but he still believed strongly in the Sith teachings and ways, once more trying to take an apprentice in hopes of challenging Vader and Sidious after he was defeated by Sidious alone years before.

He references what happened after Mandalore, how he was used by his Master than simply discarded when he no longer needed him.

Once again, Maul is thrown from a great height and survives.

The recognition that Maul and Ahsoka give each other, referencing the Clone Wars.

Maul strangling the Seventh Sister then decapitating her offscreen when Ezra refuses to kill her with a throw of his staff.

Blind Kanans precise blade movements, reminded me a little of ANH when Luke was practicing with the remote, there was no flailing at all which showed patience and discipline.

The best part was the fight that everyone had wanted to see for a long time, between Anakin and Ahsoka was executed brilliantly.

Anakin made a reference to Obi-Wan in the future in that "I killed Anakin Skywalker" or along those lines, Obi-Wan once told Luke: "Vader was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force." "He betrayed and murdered your father."

We aren't left hanging about what happened to Ahsoka in the end, being shown her leaving the Temple

When Ahsoka damaged his suit, the cry of pain from Empire was used when Luke struck Vaders suit in the Ventilation shaft.

Lightsabers are destroyed, either resulting in the death of someone or leaving them defenseless.

Maul referencing Ahsoka not being a Jedi as merely a 'Part-Timer' made me laugh.

Things I would have liked to see: 

Maul make a reference towards his artificial legs, there wasn't actually anything to suggest they weren't biological.

Some form of contact between Vader and Maul.

Things I didn't like:

Matt Lanter doing the voice of Anakin when his Mask broke, Anakins vocals were badly damaged on Mustafar to a point where he couldn't project much audibly without the Mask to enhance it, I approve of bringing him back just for that, but he was a bit louder than I would have liked.

Vader's face looked young, also somewhat tanned? (Possibly the lighting) Anakin was around Forty by the time of the Episode yet there is no clear sign that he was older, he looked like he did in the Clone Wars in terms of Age.

NumberWan likes this

MB2 Beta Tester / MB2 FA Assistant Dev

Things I liked:

Dark scenery;

Kanan and Ahsoka chasing 8th Brother;

MAUL!!!

Sith lore (seriously, the darkside perspective is always refreshing!);

Maul's 'clothing' (mainly because it reminded me of a Reborn reskin from long ago; maybe I'll upload it, if the staff approves it - it's not mine, and I don't know the author);

The scene right before Maul and the Rebels fight the Inquisitors for the first time;

Maul's new lightsaber - yes, I recognized it for a lightsaber, though I thought it was gonna be more along the lines of a saber-pike;

Those pesky Inquisitors finally getting sabered (a shame about 7th Sister though, liked her) and their lightsabers getting destroyed;

8th Brother falling to his death - what an idiot!

Kanan finding a Temple Guard mask (I know I criticised it in another topic, but it's always cool to find artefacts);

Ahsoka fighting Vader - way better executed than Vader fighting Kanan+Ezra btw!

Ezra's lightsaber being destroyed - yes, I said it!

Maul surviving the fall;

Maul jacking Vader's Tie;

Various references to previous episodes and TCW.

Things I didn't like:

The cheez! Seriously, some of the lines were just awful "Call me old master", "I'm no Jedi", ugh!

Ahsoka not running off with Kanan and Ezra, or not dying - she just seems redundant after this episode;

7th Sister getting sabered - such a shame (I'd rather she fell off the temple, that way, she might have survived);

Sabering being done off-screen;

Ezra not remaining with Maul - I really hoped he would turn to the Dark Side!

Very little Sith lore;

Vader not dying - yeah, I know he's an 'important' character, and that he dies in RotJ, but Anakin just annoys the chit out of me!

Anakin looking too young.

Things that left me neutral:

The Inquisicopters (as they were dubbed by viewers on kisscartoon);

Kanan losing his eyes.

Overall, I liked the episode. WANT MOAR!!

Fuse294 likes this

So, according to some sources, Season 3 will be the last in the Rebels animated series.

Notably, Billy Dee Williams is invited for two episodes in Season 3, and some characters from the Expanded Universe are set to appear as well (many assume Thrawn to be there, but this is just a rumour). It is also believed, that the last season will tie the current Star Wars stories with the new film of Rogue One. In one way or another.

Source

After Season 3, a new series will be launched, perhaps telling us the stories about the events after Return of the Jedi, but before The Force Awakens. I think that period could give a lot more material to the authors, as a lot has been made already for them: various books, characters and events, which will undoubtfully be used in newer adventures.

the_raven likes this

what I dont see about the unmasked ep.6 Vader is how he got that large gash on top-left of skull. I dont recall that from ep.3

...on second thought, maybe he had a Force rage migrain headache and split his own skull when he found out Padme was dead.

There were countless times when his helmet was broken by a Jedi, Galen managed to break the whole thing off of him even if that isn't canon.

MB2 Beta Tester / MB2 FA Assistant Dev

Anyone finds something fishi with the new Inquisitor shown in the final episodes of Rebels Season 2? It might be possible, that his helmet is used later from the Ren Knights, did they went on search for such ancient objects.

It looks like a German goth Helmet

ca0c82cc860a69cbdebcd97c2b2e3278.jpg

The Knights of Ren seem to have medieval influences in their designs too, so maybe that's why they look so similar.

NumberWan and dark_apprentice like this