my attempt on Starkiller

havn't worked on him really as I was distracted... *cough - steam summer sale -cough- so many games-cough*

but I stumbled across this neat site and thought I'd try it

Starkiller WIP1 (View in 3D)
2KkJj4p.png

*hint* turn on subdivision on the left , the model is quite lowpoly and looks like shit as is , I hope the textures will change that

ChalklYne likes this

i dont know how to explain this... but that crease under his cheeks doesnt exist. if youll notice, his cheeks go directly into his upper lip.. the puffy sides of the mouth being seperate from his cheeks is a major misconception i was having as well until i noticed it in some interviews with witwer. here ill try to illustrate with a visual reference...

6igi.jpg

as you can see, his cheeks go directly into his upperlip, with a bit of a crease near the nose, then that extra lip fat on the sides of his mouth are actually connected to his cheeks. i would say take that creased area, as well as his upper lip, and puff them out accordingly. the nose shouldnt be as squared and defined either if youll notice he has a bit of a smashed in nose in that aspect. his cheeks are also too far down and should be raised up to meet the refs. also you can notice that the sides of his eyebrows go down further. his top lip is also much closer to his nose. Damn closer than Ive gotten tho man. This guys face is a bit of a headache but once you see the flow of his face fat (lmao) youll see where the major defining areas are. My problem is I over exaggerate his major defining areas.

on a more positive note, his eyes, his chin, his facial shape and head shape are pretty badass man

getting too close for me to be able to have any crits. maybe heads a bit tall. besides that I see this coming out quite nicely. awesome improvement dude

looking at the low poly model, id say you can clean that up quite easily by fixing the back of the jaw to not be so blocky, and maybe toss in an extra edgeloop around the lips? what do you think?where the subdivision is fixing it, add in an edge loop so the low poly has nicer shading.

just an idea

Nice. It's looking way better, I like it.You almost got it. The nostrils are just a tad narrower and the point of nose a little bit fatter. Also, check the upper eyelids, the bottom of the eyebrows, they are more saggier. Also, the cheekbones should be a little more narrower. Than cheek gaunts are ok, but the cheekbones are still bigger and rounder than they should be. Make the lips a little more bigger, but not too much. The rest is almost there, I would suggest you start painting the textures and do the final tweaks on the fly.

Much much better. Now it only needs small tweaks here and there, but I think it will be more easy if you tweak the face when it's textured. Sorry I haven't done any paintover, I've been very busy at work and when I get home I just feel too lazy.

DT. likes this

Lookin' good! I'll try and do a paintover / sculpt examples for some anatomy fixes.

oh,yes please ! I guess I could use that

Much much better. Now it only needs small tweaks here and there, but I think it will be more easy if you tweak the face when it's textured. Sorry I haven't done any paintover, I've been very busy at work and when I get home I just feel too lazy.

naw , dotn worry I got it in the end ;)

I can create heads and have a good likeness of whoever I'm using as a reference in the end, but when it comes to actually studying anatomy (muscles, bone, etc) I still get grossed out lol. @@Psyk0Sith knows his head anatomy, he will show you how to fix any anatomy issues and then it's just down to making it look like StarKiller.

I strongly suggest that you pickup a sculpting program at some point, instead of doing the old school highpoly route.

I can create heads and have a good likeness of whoever I'm using as a reference in the end, but when it comes to actually studying anatomy (muscles, bone, etc) I still get grossed out lol. @@Psyk0Sith knows his head anatomy, he will show you how to fix any anatomy issues and then it's just down to making it look like StarKiller.

I strongly suggest that you pickup a sculpting program at some point, instead of doing the old school highpoly route.

ofc I coudl do that and I've been messing with sculptris and 3d coat but I actually prefer working poly by poly

I'm decent at sculpting with real clay but I never really got into digital sculpting , I did it a few times to add detail (example :

)

and I've managed to sculpt this bird which should be familiar to you :

from a sphere in sculptris

but besdies that I never really got into sculpting

DT. likes this

Starkiller Texture WIP (View in 3D)

blah

I'M kinda happy with the skin Texture but I still have to find a way to get his hair right... I've tried a bunch of things but I couldn't get a statisfieing result yet =/

EDIT : updated the textures , hair still looks like crap mgiht need to work at the wrinkles aorund his eyes ,he looks too old atm

awesome. hairlines just too scraggly. you can see in the game he has a nicely trimmed hairline all around. great job

some quick hair refs 4 ya

98e3.jpg

i have a "short hair brush" for zbrush if anyone wants it. it works wonders

also... @@AshuraDX   check out that shadow in the side ref pic that goes from his upper lip almost down to his jaw. looks like a major witwer lips defining area. maybe that'll help tie that side view in a bit more

I also think you should maybe work on it a bit in low res mode so you can fix those blocky shading areas if you can

since of course ingame it will be the low res model

also forehead looks too squared at the top

also try and fix that ubtusely stretched poly at the sides of his nose causing that shading problem. its the one touching his nostril, then does an obtuse angle to attach to his face. maybe bring that far right vert in a bit towards the nostril til it has a smoother shading transition? youll see what i mean when you check it out

this one... see how its folded in half because of the angle its at?

ahf3.jpg

AngelModder likes this