GtkRadiant 1.6.3

Hello everyone,

I located the download for GtkRadiant 1.6.3 on this website http://icculus.org/gtkradiant/downloads.html but I can't seem to find the gamepack for Jedi Academy. I know Mr. Wonko released an older version of Radiant 1.6.x a couple of years ago that included a gamepack for that version of it, but does anyone know where the gamepack can be downloaded by itself? Also, would it be possible to get both the latest version of GtkRadiant & the gamepack hosted here on JKHub?

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Iiiiii am having the same problem.

I have Windows 7 and was using Radiant 1.3 something. It didn't save any of the .bsp files, despite Radiant saying so. I quickly researched and found that it's because Windows 7 is a douche with Radiant 1.3, thus I need a new version. I decided the hell with it and get the latest one, but now apparently I need the JKA pack.

Why are things so---urgh---hrnnnggggg.

Iiiiii am having the same problem.

I have Windows 7 and was using Radiant 1.3 something. It didn't save any of the .bsp files, despite Radiant saying so. I quickly researched and found that it's because Windows 7 is a douche with Radiant 1.3, thus I need a new version. I decided the hell with it and get the latest one, but now apparently I need the JKA pack.

Why are things so---urgh---hrnnnggggg.

Why not use the 1.4 version ?? Works like a charm on my W7 rig . . .

NumberWan likes this

Signature.jpg

• 1 month later...

Pardon the double post but now I remembered why I didn't use it. It doesn't save my .map files. I downloaded it again and suddenly recalled after I did a test. I've been through so many versions of these things by now.

Which can be circumvented by copying and renaming an existing map. Other then that, I don't have any problems with 1.4 . . .

Signature.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't tried Radiant 1.6 as I mentioned once. But I used both 1.4 and 1.5. I can't say that I really like 1.5. in a sense of building a map. I miss some functions, that were originally quite time-saving in 1.4. So I prefer that version more.

I can mention some differences as a mapper. For instance in 2d you could click on entity (like NPC or target_speaker, even under several layers of brushes) to select it. In 1.5. you will always select the closest brush.

Texturing was easier for me there too. I could select one side of the brush and select the side of the second one, so that I could apply the new texture on the first one without looking for it in the list of textures or smth like that.

There were some other things that I didn't like. However I might prove wrong, because usually most programs nowadays can be changed up to your taste.

I haven't tried Radiant 1.6 as I mentioned once. But I used both 1.4 and 1.5. I can't say that I really like 1.5. in a sense of building a map. I miss some functions, that were originally quite time-saving in 1.4. So I prefer that version more.

I can mention some differences as a mapper. For instance in 2d you could click on entity (like NPC or target_speaker, even under several layers of brushes) to select it. In 1.5. you will always select the closest brush.

Texturing was easier for me there too. I could select one side of the brush and select the side of the second one, so that I could apply the new texture on the first one without looking for it in the list of textures or smth like that.

There were some other things that I didn't like. However I might prove wrong, because usually most programs nowadays can be changed up to your taste.

I used 1.6 for all my building and most texturing. For entity placement and model placement I used 1.5.0 because of the Maya style translation devices.

In all seriousness though, all 3 are superbly inferior to other Radiants.

codradiant doesn't look to have any sort of preview. It royally kills itself when trying to get JKA working on it lol. :P

I'm not sure what you mean. I've used Codradiant extensively. It has full sun and light entity preview. The .map structures differ too entirely for you to load a jka .map into it. I only suggested you should branch into other Radiants eventually. :P

I was able to load my map in codradiant, just no JKA-related things due to paths.

I can't figure out where the preview is though.

F8 for color based, no intensity preview. After that press ALT+CTRL+F8 to toggle maximum intensity light preview(highest quality most closely resembling how it will look in game)

It might work okay to get a good idea of how certain lights are going to look for your JKA map. However cod lights are much better and have way more options. Leave the def of the light on light_point_linear. Leave the intensities on 1 and just change the radius.

I'm having troubles remember how the lighting works in JKA, but I'm pretty sure the options are extremely limited. Just radius and color... Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the lights by default use an inverse square root formula to calculate falloff unless you specify it as linear.

lol... just play with it till you see similar results.

• 5 months later...

*Bump*

Can CODradiant be used without having Cod 4 installed? I downloaded the mod tools, but it says it *might* not work on vista, which I currently have. So I don't know if my error is because I'm missing COD 4 or because of vista (mss32.dll missing).

Also, finding very little information about q4radiant/quakeedit. Do you need quake 4 for it?

Compatibility in these editors with GtkRadiant? Could brushwork be done in either editor and taken back and fourth without issues? Will entities come healthy back to GtkRadiant after visualization/brushwork done in COD-/Quake editor?

*Bump*

Can CODradiant be used without having Cod 4 installed? I downloaded the mod tools, but it says it *might* not work on vista, which I currently have. So I don't know if my error is because I'm missing COD 4 or because of vista (mss32.dll missing).

Also, finding very little information about q4radiant/quakeedit. Do you need quake 4 for it?

No, you need to have COD4 installed. It worked on Vista fine for me. You need Quake4 for the built in mod tools.

Compatibility in these editors with GtkRadiant? Could brushwork be done in either editor and taken back and fourth without issues? Will entities come healthy back to GtkRadiant after visualization/brushwork done in COD-/Quake editor?

You can't take a map from GTKRadiant and make it work in CODRadiant, or vice versa. The .map files differ slightly in ways they format the syntax for entities, brushes, and curves.

Boothand likes this
  • 3 weeks later...

Rendering "light" in Radiant is no simple thing. Quite the opposite. In the scheme of things, it loses it's importance anyway. Eventually you become good enough to predict how the falloff of each light entity will look, same thing for surface lighting. Even with light preview, one wouldn't suddenly become a light artist.

I'd much rather GTKRadiant adopt things for CODRadiant besides the light preview, such as the camera movement system for the 3d view. It's very much more efficient. There are other features such as Z-Axis cubic clipping, hide unselected without requiring invert selections( Or, Regions. *Shudder* ), measuring tape line, model viewer, better texture window, better entity control and linking, more keyboard shortcuts for more functions (Rotate X, Y, Z, Lock X, Y , Z, etc... ) that I'd rather have. Because currently, using GTKRadiant is NOT a pleasure. Using CODRadiant is, because it feels more accessible and more fluid.

• 10 months later...

So.....I'm also stuck. I have so many strange issues that I can't even run 1.4 or 1.5 on my computer. And this is a fresh install of Windows, too.....

Unfortunately, I also can't figure out how to get a game pack for Radiant 1.6.4. Do I need to fall back to 1.6.3? I tried copying over my old game pack from 1.4, but it didn't work.

EDIT: I just figured out the bug in Radiant 1.4 - apparently, I have to have the window slightly off the right side of the screen to be able to use the 3D window. That makes no sense whatsoever. At least it's working for now. But I am still quite interested in getting 1.6 running.