The JKHUB Pass me around WIP topic

Well after viewing this entire thread so far, I'm impressed with the work thus far, and feel this project is going along rather smoothly, I applaud all who participated in this community activity, and I hope to see more WIP pictures on this project, sorry but I have to return to the Enterprise, if I wasn't so busy already I might have joined, but sometimes its just as fun to watch the process

MUG likes this

@@Delta_135 that should work. Feel free to improve upon that building, its just a thing I started on and never completed, so it's nice that its getting some kind of use =)

@@Pande To return to the scaling discussions; Obviously, I cannot comment on the stuff added since I was working on the map, and I don't know if the different areas are off scale relative to each other, but as for your complaints about my train; I modeled it on a mixture of the different underground trains we have in London, don't know if you have been on something similar but they are cramped as hell, and the doors and seats are indeed very small. Basically everything is as small as they can possibly be whilst still being able to squeeze people into them. I very intentionally made the objects the size they are, relative to the player character.

Obviously, if areas are off scale relative to each other, that could be a problem, as the map will look like the areas don't match up, and I can agree that fixing that may be necessary, however your comments about objects on the train are just your opinion on how big these objects should be, and I would find it somewhat upsetting if people change my design choices based on their differing design opinions, rather than a necessity to make the map work/make sense.

Also, with the windows thing, if we look again at BlueIce Nightfall, there are plenty of interior windows with a shader on them which gives the appearance of there being something outside, but actually not being transparent. And I'm not suggesting just throw a skybox behind them either, I meant that a low-fi fake exterior could be mocked up like a few blocky buildings that resemble the actual map or such.

I wont be making anymore posts about this, as I have made all the points I can make and further bickering wont really achieve anything, but I'd just like the future mappers to consider what I have said before they fuck my train up =P.

CaptainChar, Delta_135 and MagSul like this

One thing to keep in mind about scale is realism vs fun. Cramped maps are no fun to play. But if we were going for a map that plays smoothly, we would've started by greyboxing the layout first and playtesting that a lot instead of adding room after room.

i haven't had as much time to work on this as i'd like but here is what i've made so far

shot0000af.jpg

shot0001ie.jpg

shot0002ge.jpg

also i think a skybox like this would fit the map well

and possibly solve the "what is gonna be outside the floating gold room" problem  :P

l12_24.jpg

EDIT: just found this on cgtextures http://www.cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=78110&PHPSESSID=sk2pcp1dm3jac9ia6t7gu6uke2

might be usefull

CaptainChar likes this

@@Delta_135 admittedly I have been playing Perfect Dark a lot recently, but those first couple screenshots absolutely scream "Perfect Dark" to me :P (and that's a good thing)

Great work so far guys, I haven't been doing any modeling at all recently, been busy working on some of my own projects lately and I was doing a lot of stuff IRL not too long ago. I'll see if I can correct that soon though :P

Delta_135 and CaptainChar like this

here is what i got done today:

added a elevator door and the elevator to the building 

shot0004ts.jpg

shot0005sjj.jpg

shot0006lu.jpg

i also started on the way to the gold room

sc1h.png

sc2xn.png

the elevator is not moving yet and i think it would be best if it's controlled by a script instead of just being a up and down door/platform

but i'm no good with scripts...

TwinHits, MUG and CaptainChar like this

Id like to postpone my first segment till 24th if thats ok?

@Szico VIIMarch 25th-March 31st

I suppose you mean 24th of april, then? 

Also, haven't had time to check out the files delta sent me yet. Exams are (and will be) killing me for several more weeks. :( Looking good though! I love the pattern on the inside of the elevator door!

@@exonimus Can you add me to the end of the schedule please to finish up the gold room? I plan to finish the penthouse inside, rough it up quite a bit, and remove extra textures.

I also plan to change/solve the high up windows problem. When I made them, I knew this would be a problem and it's my fault for not pointing out my plans. When my turn comes around again, I will either remove them or build something outside the windows that solves the problem.