The JKHUB pass me around?

CONCERNING THE POLL

Gothic/LOTR-ish pictures here:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mak739nBVG1rpunp6o1_1280.jpg

https://jkhub.org/albums/NNOOI

Futuristic/dystopian/cyberpunk: here:

https://jkhub.org/albums/2dTXb

MYST (extremely varied. You might want to google "myst age" "riven age" "myst 3 exile" "myst IV revelation" or "uru age")

http://dni.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Ages

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I feel this might be the best place for it.

Some of you might remember a map called Nar Shaddaa Landing Zone 17 (here: http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Nar_Shadda_Landing_Zone_17;105657) a map that was created by the map-craft.com team, a bunch of mappers hanging around on the now sadly defunct map-craft forums. Some people included in this team were @@Pande, @@mrwonko, @@Nozyspy, @@NAB622, @@Crazy Assassin, lazarus, myself and some others I  inadvertently forgot to mention.

What most of you guys don't know, however, was that there were plans in the works for a second 'pass me around' map with an Egyptian theme, and even a third was being conceived. The second one was quite far in progress and looked amazing. However, these have never seen the light of day (AFAIK) as mappers lost interest and the map-craft forum finally disappeared. The basic idea was that mappers got to hold the map for a certain amount of time, work on it, then pass it on to the next person.

I tell you all this because I was recently skimming through my old maps directory, and came across my version of the second pass me around map. From memory, I believe @@Pande had the latest version at the point where we quit, but I'm not 100% sure, I don;t even know if he's still around or whether he still has it.

Now, there is a point to all this ranting. I would like to use this topic to gauge any potential interest of people willing to participate in a similar project on these forums (either continuing this map, as I'm sure we can arrange permission for, or start anew) I have no clue how many mappers hang around JKHUB, and it might not be at all feasible, but I did not want to let this potential gem of a map die without effort. Please let me know if you feel this might be a nice idea, and are willing to contribute (no matter your skill level). 

I'm not sure if anyone is in contact with pande (I noticed a pande account@@JKHub, so I hope it's the same one :D) as I'm sure he could provide some screenshots, as I only have an older version, but I, for one, would love to see this finished.

edit: Volunteers up to this point (18-01)

-Szico

-Pande

-Mr Wonko, perhaps with some time restraints

-Moondog

-Twinhits

-Magsul

-MUG

-Delta_135

-Exonimus

-Silverfang:models (tiny chance of mapping too? :D)

-perhaps Minilogoguy for some side support?

-Milamber for some not too demanding side stuff and general criticism.

Pande and Fighter like this

Problem with that is, I think not many of us (including myself) have experience with making maps in blender. I, for one, would be happy to learn, but I think it lowers the quality since everyone will have to learn a new way of doing things. What is the advantage of doing it in blender, by the way? (I have no real experience in blender, so I'm asking this out of interest)

Nice, that makes us three at least, four depending on whether @@mrwonko feels like joining in with us commonfolk still using radiant as well. 

To repeat his point: any person that cannot map, but is good at making concept art and/or has original ideas is free to contribute as well, as we still have to decide whether to continue the current map (if pande replies within the coming few days) or whether we start anew. What would you guys (specifically looking at @@Szico VII and @@MoonDog )prefer?

edit: just thought of a pm by @@TwinHits the other day. Perhaps he/you'd be interested as well? I also remember some screenshots by @@OmegaSigma, perhaps he'd also want to contribute? (provided he'd use caulk. :P) It's just a few hours/days of work, after all.

Feel free to redirect any (aspiring) mappers etc. with at least some experience to this topic as well, so we have a better chance of truly getting this ball rolling.

Szico VII likes this
Nice, that makes us three at least, four depending on whether @@mrwonko feels like joining in with us commonfolk still using radiant as well. 

I might... But I have this big sp campaign that needs finishing, that should have priority, except it currently apparently hasn't, since I'm not working on it.

But I guess I'd surely have enough time for a little contribution.

Well there is mapping in blender and I beleive ms3d can do it but what about other programs? I'd really like to map something but I can't stand the interface of radiant, if I could model everything in Softimage then just put it in radiant to do the small things to make it work then I'd make tons of maps.

We need a coder to create some plugins for the major 3d apps to export to radiant.

Is there any way you (and perhaps some other modelers) would be willing to hold a very small side project, where you (under the same rules: no more than a week) work on one or several very simple object models, exchange with other modelers if needed, and thus contribute to the map, depending on the direction in which it goes? Would really make for some more general awesomeness.

Well there is mapping in blender and I beleive ms3d can do it but what about other programs? I'd really like to map something but I can't stand the interface of radiant, if I could model everything in Softimage then just put it in radiant to do the small things to make it work then I'd make tons of maps.

We need a coder to create some plugins for the major 3d apps to export to radiant.

You can just export to 3ds/lwo/obj/ase and q3map2 takes care of the rest (provided the texture paths are right).

P.S. Don't get me wrong about the 3D Modeling thing. I'd love to be good enough to make an entire map in maya/3ds/blender etc... I just don't think a mapping project involving multiple people is the proper place to hone that skill. It would lower the quality of the work.

Exactly my thoughts. Trying it would be an interesting experiment, but a project such as this would not be the right place.

If he has no backups, I still have my latest version. Not sure how recent that is though...

And yeah, I was mostly just toying with the modelling idea. I'd just love to see how much we can still get out of the Q3 engine by using lots of models for extra detail.

I'm totally in, but I'm sad to say the files have been lost. May as well just start fresh anyway.

And @@mrwonko, yeah we definitely should do some sorta ultimate playermodel pass-around. But a blender > radiant pass around would also be badass. I'll likely be doing that in a pass-me-around anyway though, since I've been making good use of your patch converter :D

Fair enough. We'll start fresh then I guess, although I'd still love to receive wonko's version to see how far along that was. I might finish that one myself at a later stage.

So, themes then. Any suggestions? I think we first need to decide whether we're going to do a sort of "recreation" thing, or a more "freestyle" kind of thing. I'm in for both.

edit: some personal mindblurbs:

-A proper cathedral. I still believe JKA has NO proper level with a cool cathedral that has both the outside and inside done with nice patches and stuff. I'm thinking for a sort of "london streets" theme here, recreating perhaps a cool cathedral from inside and outside, with a few of the surrounding buildings. This might limit creativity due to a too strong theme, though

-I always love ruined/abandoned places. I'm thinking Chernobyl/ fallout kind of locations here. However, perhaps this might inspire a too square soviet-ish building style, although this might pose an interesting challenge for variation.

-My personal favourite: recreation of a certain star wars location that has not really been done before. I remember a thread from 2011 on the filefront forums where @@minilogoguy18 requested a KOTOR location, namely the valley of the Dark Lords which looks really really cool, and allows for some cool mapping tricks as well. IIRC he offered to model some of the statues we might need. I wonder if that offer still stands :P. Topic here: http://forums.filefront.com/sw-jk3-modding-mapping-editing/439898-kotor-valley-dark-lords.html

Perhaps recreation of a lesser known location is better so we have more artistic freedom. I would personally give everything to see a more freestyle interpretation of the dark force temple on Dromund Kaas (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Force_Temple), because the inside in MotS sucked, but the theme itself is so amazing. (Purple, anyone?) Link for info: (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dromund_Kaas

edit: I just found out SWTOR has actually already done a rendition of dromund kaas. See here (4:13 onwards)

http://youtu.be/pQJIjKiZ8SQ

I'm not sure I quite agree with this rendition though (I like it more as a sort of darker/ruined place instead of having it cluttered with renovation style stuff), although this rendition is still incredibly cool, especially the main hall with those huge ass statues (@7:37). I know the map as a whole is too large for a PMA, but we could do just a small part.

I've had plans to do this myself in the past for a mod I used to work on, before RL got in the way. 

-Basically similar, but smaller: an artist's interpretation of an old df2 and/or MOTS duel or other similarly small map. This gives us the basic layout, but the outdated graphics give us enough artistic freedom to work with, imho. From what I recall, there have been some attempts at this before, by @@Inyri (5-6 years ago; VOTJ tower), among others.

Hey, I can help out with GTKRadient Brushwork, but I think I would be more helpful as a concept artist! I can post some pictures of past stuff if you'd like.

Go right ahead with both! You're absolutely welcome to help. The more the merrier =)

Would you be willing to spend just a few hours/days on it as well, @@Milamber?

Also, we could pull something like this for map objects as well. That way, both the modelers and the mappers (with .ase) could join in, and everyone profits.

I could work on some textures, map objects and stuff like that yeah. Not going to give a definite promise on it though xD My graphics motivation as of lately has been odd, and I'm reworking my focus a bit.

But yeah some general stuff like doing textures, various map objects, I probably have time+motivation for that.

Not gonna join on the mapping though, because I never really enjoyed working in gtkradiant. I know level design theory though so I can assist with that :P.