Stun Baton. Thoughts?

Out of all the weapons these games have to offer, the stun baton is probably the weakest

weapon. Seriously, does this thing have any purpose at all, apart from just "stunning" (in other words killing) enemies?

I think it would be better to remove that thing and replace it with something better.

But.......why would you ever remove a feature, especially with no recourse? No matter how useless it is to you, I've seen it repurposed into very useful things before.

I find the very notion of removing anything from this game absolutely absurd. Besides, isn't there a CVar that disables it?

I'm about to say just some nonsense, but I wished there were weapons that actually stunned instead of kill. Even though it's a game, I really dislike taking the life of other people (if you can call them people, since they're non-existant). I usually try to use non-lethal ways to advance through games, that's why I really liked that one stealth part in JO, and it was a bummer to see that the stun baton was lethal.

Asgarath83 likes this

I'm about to say just some nonsense, but I wished there were weapons that actually stunned instead of kill. Even though it's a game, I really dislike taking the life of other people (if you can call them people, since they're non-existant). I usually try to use non-lethal ways to advance through games, that's why I really liked that one stealth part in JO, and it was a bummer to see that the stun baton was lethal.

When you say that, it reminds me of SWAT 4, when you got extra points for nonlethal means of arresting suspects, even if you just incapacitated them. I'd love to see a proper reboot to the series, and not something watered down like Battlefield: Hardline was.

@@Lancelot, I'd like to move this to General Modding Discussions as it could provide a nice little discussion unrelated to the request. Would this be okay with you?

Lancelot and Asgarath83 like this

Pro: remove stun baton allow a new weapon slot for contain some new weapon in the code more efficiently.

Contro: i agree about necessity of a stunning weapon not letal that dmg a lot the enemies and knockback it. instead of removing stun baton, i think is possible to replace with some shooting stunning \ freezing weapon, or with a knockbacking stun baton...  shoul be interessing a weapon that not shooting (maybe shoot with alt fire, with first fire only do swing and beats) generatic a magnetic force field that deflect the blaster and knockback opponent when the jedi is unarmed.

so my idea is:

improved stun baton:

fire: a "shot" create a magnetic field around player of 0.5 second (or just torward player) this magnetic field knockback enemies that can touch it and deflect blaster shoots. damage of sabers and explosive weapons are reduced by 50% if the shield is casted during hit \ impact.

altfire: shoot a projectile like demp2 altcharge...  its explosion does a lower health damage. enemies are stagged on ground for one second, or stop to shoot, or are knockbacked.  this shot require a large time of recharge.

need a lot of code work, but can really be a wonderful weapon with this edits.

also, with that, saber is not more the only defensive weapon because also stun baton can protect by shoots. :)

so, i am too for improving, not for removing. :)

Lancelot likes this

@@Lancelot, I'd like to move this to General Modding Discussions as it could provide a nice little discussion unrelated to the request. Would this be okay with you?

That's no problem.  :) Could you also change the title of the topic to a more fitting one?

Pro: remove stun baton allow a new weapon slot for contain some new weapon in the code more efficiently.

Contro: i agree about necessity of a stunning weapon not letal that dmg a lot the enemies and knockback it. instead of removing stun baton, i think is possible to replace with some shooting stunning \ freezing weapon, or with a knockbacking stun baton...  shoul be interessing a weapon that not shooting (maybe shoot with alt fire, with first fire only do swing and beats) generatic a magnetic force field that deflect the blaster and knockback opponent when the jedi is unarmed.

so my idea is:

improved stun baton:

fire: a "shot" create a magnetic field around player of 0.5 second (or just torward player) this magnetic field knockback enemies that can touch it and deflect blaster shoots. damage of sabers and explosive weapons are reduced by 50% if the shield is casted during hit \ impact.

altfire: shoot a projectile like demp2 altcharge...  its explosion does a lower health damage. enemies are stagged on ground for one second, or stop to shoot, or are knockbacked.  this shot require a large time of recharge.

need a lot of code work, but can really be a wonderful weapon with this edits.

also, with that, saber is not more the only defensive weapon because also stun baton can protect by shoots. :)

so, i am too for improving, not for removing. :)

I agree with it. First I thought removing would be a better choice, but improving it would be even better.

What bothers me is that the weapon is declared as a stun baton, but it does the complete opposite instead.

If there's a way to add a stun mechanism to the game, that would be interesting.

That's no problem.  :) Could you also change the title of the topic to a more fitting one?

I agree with it. First I thought removing would be a better choice, but improving it would be even better.

What bothers me is that the weapon is declared as a stun baton, but it does the complete opposite instead.

If there's a way to add a stun mechanism to the game, that would be interesting.

well,  i suppose something like add to the weapon effect on the NPCs the code block relative at the Stunning effect of force telepathy mind trick level 1-2. :) for knockbacking the code related should be the force push code. a level 2-3 push should be sufficient. but that's require a coding work. and pity but my coding skill about weapons is again noobie skill,. i know just how to change effects by MOD or how to change sound and efx of force power by CLASS of the casters.  (SP code). so i cannot help in that because i have not the necessary skils. i need again to learn how to add a new weapon to code, and i work on SP, not on MP. before i do that, i need to end a map i am working in these days.

What about the stun gun that took Leia down?

Edit: I think the Stun Baton should be retained-- perhaps its effect bumped up to be like a strong tazor with a knockdown and convulsion/incapacitation effect; and an alternate less potent stun/taze effect that momentarily stuns/knockbacks the victim-- to allow a follow-up police takedown move.

The stun baton should be the primary weapon for Bespin Cops and other police types.

Asgarath83 and Noodle like this

What about the stun gun that took Leia down?

Edit: I think the Stun Baton should be retained-- perhaps its effect bumped up to be like a strong tazor with a knockdown and convulsion/incapacitation effect; and an alternate less potent stun/taze effect that momentarily stuns/knockbacks the victim-- to allow a follow-up police takedown move.

The stun baton should be the primary weapon for Bespin Cops and other police types.

Shoul be very cool a not letal weapon :) I suppose it could shoot into close range.... or maybe like a normal stun pistol?

But actually, it is possible and achieved in OpenRP mod!

https://github.com/Fighter1/OpenRP

In this mod, there is a function named /setStun which basically tiggers your weapon of any sort into stun mode. That is really in tune with Star Wars, where most blasters had a stun module and could be used to shoot stunning projectiles, even in the most basic and common rifles, like E-11; that famed scene at ANH where they were hunting Leia.

In OpenRP, that function throws a player/NPC/bot into stunned mode - specific animation is being played, the player controls are removed and player is basically paralyzed. In the mod itself it works for a specific amount of time, but I guess it wouldn't be hard to set it as a permanent effect until somebody actually kills the person in question.

Asgarath83 likes this

But actually, it is possible and achieved in OpenRP mod!

https://github.com/Fighter1/OpenRP

In this mod, there is a function named /setStun which basically tiggers your weapon of any sort into stun mode. That is really in tune with Star Wars, where most blasters had a stun module and could be used to shoot stunning projectiles, even in the most basic and common rifles, like E-11; that famed scene at ANH where they were hunting Leia.

In OpenRP, that function throws a player/NPC/bot into stunned mode - specific animation is being played, the player controls are removed and player is basically paralyzed. In the mod itself it works for a specific amount of time, but I guess it wouldn't be hard to set it as a permanent effect until somebody actually kills the person in question.

That sounds like a lot of fun, might try that mod during the week. Thanks for the tip!

I have one more idea:

Why not creating more non-lethal weapons? The stun baton is, of course, a close range weapon. And it only comes in handy

when you attack just a few enemies around you.

But a greater variation in non-lethal weapons could give people like @@Noodle the possibility to defeat enemies by non-lethal means,

no matter in which range the enemies are.

So, my proposals are:

- A better stun baton that finally fulfills its purpose (already done, but apparently only for MP).

- Tranquilizer guns (pistol and rifle).

- Stun grenades.

Asgarath83 likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

I have one more idea:

Why not creating more non-lethal weapons? The stun baton is, of course, a close range weapon. And it only comes in handy

when you attack just a few enemies around you.

But a greater variation in non-lethal weapons could give people like @@Noodle the possibility to defeat enemies by non-lethal means,

no matter in which range the enemies are.

So, my proposals are:

- A better stun baton that finally fulfills its purpose (already done, but apparently only for MP).

- Tranquilizer guns (pistol and rifle).

- Stun grenades.

good idea. problem is not make the models of new weapons, problem is coding the new weapons on MP and SP client. :\ i think is time i learn something about how can i do it on SP. add a new weapon is a big ampunt of coding works. add stunning function on a weapons... well, i really not have idea about how is possible to make this. ._. but yes should be great a stunning \ freezing function. :)

For a stun function, you could take the easy route and have the game knock the player over and make them get back up. The perfect excuse is that, since they're Jedi and all, they're tough. A slight incapacitation would be plenty of stun for me.

As for coding a stun option onto other weapons, well.......I have no idea.