Moose showoff

• 1 month later...

I have a nice idle animation. Walk cycles are infinitely much harder though, I realized. It also revealed all the problems with the geometry and weighting on this model, and I've fixed some of them. Other than that, it's still very visible how this isn't a very good animation, nor a particularly ideal mesh or even rig!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DziPFh-Y3BI

Omicron and Futuza like this

@@Archangel35757

Trying to get the moose with its two current animations (idle and walk) into the game, just for motivation. Getting an XSI export error. I'm not sure what to do about the model_root node the exporter generates, when vehicles need a model_root in the hierarchy. 3DS Max crashed both when keeping that name and when changing that name.

It does make an .xsi file actually, but it fails to import properly when compiled by carcass.

exporterror.jpg

Maybe to demo the model, but I'd like to see something a little less confined and RP-y. Layout wise, less of a basin and more of a U-bend mountain range with dips for streams/frozen streams. Get some low poly fur and pine trees for medium distance vista, and some others with a bit higher definition for use in playable space.

Architecture wise, I was thinking something like this:

Broken platforms and vestiges of other floors could be added to make the space funner for saber combat. Also, stuff like that would be pretty easy to model in a 3D package like Blender Max or Maya.

sunset_paintings_snow_ruins_apocalypse_s

Omicron likes this

pine trees

I was actually working on a pine tree a while ago, but for now I'd classify it very WIP.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58757568/pinetree1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58757568/pintree2.jpg

I'm not sure if I'll be able to have an attacking animation though. Have never seen a vehicle attack you, other than with muzzles.

I don't know how many animations I need really. All directions I suppose, + same with running.

@@Archangel35757

Trying to get the moose with its two current animations (idle and walk) into the game, just for motivation. Getting an XSI export error. I'm not sure what to do about the model_root node the exporter generates, when vehicles need a model_root in the hierarchy. 3DS Max crashed both when keeping that name and when changing that name.

It does make an .xsi file actually, but it fails to import properly when compiled by carcass.

exporterror.jpg

@@Boothand -- What version of Max are you using? Yes, there's a flaw in the Max9+ betaR1 versions that may cause a crash ( for some people ), but it creates the file... it happens after the file is written and the plugin is closing. You must not have a model_root node in your scene because the exporter creates it. Just un-parent skeleton_root and mesh_root and delete your model_root... that's just the way the plugin works.  I'm trying to get the final-release plugin finished and uploaded ASAP.

@@Boothand -- What version of Max are you using? Yes, there's a flaw in the Max9+ betaR1 versions that may cause a crash ( for some people ), but it creates the file... it happens after the file is written and the plugin is closing. You must not have a model_root node in your scene because the exporter creates it. Just un-parent skeleton_root and mesh_root and delete your model_root... that's just the way the plugin works.  I'm trying to get the final-release plugin finished and uploaded ASAP.

I'm using Max 2011. I was wrong about one thing actually, the one in the hierarchy is called B:modelRoot, so there won't be a conflict in that sense. Carcass did reject my xsi file though. Should I still unparent the skeleton and mesh (and wouldn't that ruin the hierarchy)? Could it be because of the IK solvers I don't know where to place in the hierarchy? Animations got screwed up when making them children of some of those parents.

hierarchy.jpg

@@Boothand-- IK doesn't belong in bone hierarchy; and controls shouldn't be either. They should remain separate (tie them to your bones using constraints. Yes, you need to unparent mesh_root & skeleton_root... and delete any model_root you created. The exporter creates the model_root and parents them automatically. You can animate with IK or procedural controllers/constraints and it will properly export your animation.

@@Boothand-- IK doesn't belong in bone hierarchy; and controls shouldn't be either. They should remain separate (tie them to your bones using constraints. Yes, you need to unparent mesh_root & skeleton_root... and delete any model_root you cteated. The exporter creates the model_root and parents them automatically. You can animate with IK or procedural controllers/constraints and it will properly export your animation.

Do you mean like this?

Hierarchy:

hierarchy2.jpg

I still get the same errors:

Carcass error:

carcass1.jpg

and:

carcass2.jpg

Get rid of xsisceneroot and b:model_root. Not sure if that's causing your error though.

Get rid of xsisceneroot and b:model_root. Not sure if that's causing your error though.

Yes get rid of those two objects: XSISceneRoot & B:modelRoot.

See the Carcass Error Guide:

42.) XSI Import failed, code = 4599

This error happened because the skin modifier is not on top, if you have set UV mapping coordinates on top of the skin modifier, move them down under the skin modifier. It is strongly recommended to UV map before you rig, collapse the stack so it's empty and then apply the skin modifier. ONLY the skin modifier should remain (on top).