Moose showoff

That's a weird way to write the exporter.

3dsMax has an invisible Scene Root that exists.... remember the infamous "MaxSceneRoot" node the legacy exporter creates? It was just easier to have the code rename this offending node to "model_root"... actually now the new exporter gives the user the option to name it anything-- which may be useful for other game engines that use dotXSI... but may have different root name requirements.

@@Boothand -- do your dotXSI root and animations play properly in the new XSI Viewer tool I uploaded to the Utilities file section?

It doesn't show up in the XSI viewer, currently.

It should require a stupidtriangle_off tag, most walking type NPC's and vehicles have them.

Where would I place it, and where in the hierarchy? I tried googling it, but didn't find anything clear. Also, the only other tag I have is the bolt_driver one.

From what I can gather without having any actual evidence (maybe a coder can look into the game code on this) but the stupidtriangle_off might just be a way of calculating a center of mass for the object but I could be wrong. I normally just place it somewhere like on my AT-RT vehicle for example around the hips where the center of mass would be. You also need tags AT LEAST for the feet to detect collision with the ground like tag_lfoot and tag_rfoot, look at any model for reference on how to make these since origin in the modeling software doesn't dictate how the tag interacts, it's more so based on the orientation of the triangles sides.

|\

|  \ <----That is how a foot tag would look though from the front with the polygons normals facing you (the front side of the polygon, not the backface).

|__\

It doesn't show up in the XSI viewer, currently.

Where would I place it, and where in the hierarchy? I tried googling it, but didn't find anything clear. Also, the only other tag I have is the bolt_driver one.

The bolt is linked to mesh_root and your mesh to stupidtriangle.

I'm sure it shows up in the viewer you just have to zoom out. Change to simple interaction mode.

@@Boothand

Various limbs or just one side? its too dark for me to tell

Is like, his right side flipped and now on the left? Could be a reset transforms type of thing

Is the moose segmented into different parts? Or just one mesh?

It's various limbs (a bit from the legs on both sides). Definitely did a reset Xform before weighting.

I can't seem to reset the Xform after weighting, because I can't collapse the skin modifier. If I put it below the skin modifier, it gets messed up. In either case, just having the Xform modifier resizes the moose grandly and rotates the pose.

No funky bounding box issues prior to resetting Xform though.

@@Boothand

Yeah it would have had to be done before. You know.. not that this is your issue... but even when I did a reset Xforms, it still came out weird on the pieces I duplicated symmetrically. I ended up fixing it by exporting those pieces as obj.s and reimporting them before weighing? Weird right? That's why I asked if it was all one mesh or seperate ones that could have been duplicated. Once again though, probably isn't your problem. But that's how Kazdan looked before I did that.

@@Boothand

Yeah it would have had to be done before. You know.. not that this is your issue... but even when I did a reset Xforms, it still came out weird on the pieces I duplicated symmetrically. I ended up fixing it by exporting those pieces as obj.s and reimporting them before weighing? Weird right? That's why I asked if it was all one mesh or seperate ones that could have been duplicated. Once again though, probably isn't your problem. But that's how Kazdan looked before I did that.

For some reason I didn't read your question about it being one mesh. How silly of me. But it is one single mesh, not segmented. It's been made through a combination of Zbrush and 3DS Max. I'm sure there must be a way to fix it without reweighting.

Here is the .max file for Max 2011 and the texture map. Maybe @@Psyk0Sith knows anything about the matter?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58757568/Moose/moosejka_2.max

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58757568/Moose/moose_final.jpg

@@Boothand -- merge in the lights.xsi file that was included with the XSI Viewer to add lights to your scene and make it easier to see.

I don't have lights.xsi anywhere. Nor can I find it on google. I tried exporting the xsi with lights in the scene, but no change. I suspect the lack of lighting may have something to do with the quite big size of the moose. It was never really measured up against anything in the game, before it was readied and animated. I fear changing the size in 3DS Max could be a bit troublesome for the animations.

I don't have lights.xsi anywhere. Nor can I find it on google. I tried exporting the xsi with lights in the scene, but no change. I suspect the lack of lighting may have something to do with the quite big size of the moose. It was never really measured up against anything in the game, before it was readied and animated. I fear changing the size in 3DS Max could be a bit troublesome for the animations.

It was included with the zip file for the xsi viewer.

Save out each of your animations (see Max help docs). Fix your model scale... then reapply your animations using retargeting animation feature (see 3dsMax tutorials). You might also try saving out your skin envelope weights as a .envelope file (option available under skin modifier), then segment your mesh, fix your xform problems and reapply your skin envelopes. Refer to Max docs & tutorials.

Boothand likes this